Another Athlon XP Question

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
Has anyone found a product that is easier to find that conductive silver laquar and that works to unlock an Athlon XP? I have looked ALL over Cape Town for it and cannot find anything close to it.

Would silver paint like what is used to paint model aircraft work? What about liquid solder (although the box says it is non-conductive)? If anyone knows of a product that they KNOW FOR A FACT works please post!

Your new hardware is out-of-date

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I too have looked all over of some thing to close the bridges but to no avail, all the radio shacks in town have nothing, the people at the radio shacks just give me dumb looks when I ask then they are like "want to buy this nifty remote control truck?" I hate ignorent people (for the record I ment to misspell ignorent yeah thats it...)

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.

svol

Champion
I did use silver conductive paint used for modelbuilding to unlock my Athlon XP1600+.
If I'm right it was from the brand Busch or something... I'm not at home right now so I can't check.

My peltier is so powerful I get Bose-Einstein Condensate beneath it :eek: .

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
Just give it up. Its easier just to overclock it by setting the fsb higher. You can order the kit from highspeedpcs for around $12 plus shipping, but if you do that you could have just gotten the next higher clocked processor...

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnets free of charge"

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
I know my 1800 will boot at 1.9ghz if I could lower the fsb, it will post but at 330mhz(ddr) as a fsb it is at its limit, my ram also can go no further as it depends on the fsb, 412mhz(ddr) is well past its spec. I NEED an easy alternitive to the highspeed pc unlock kit, I just have zero cash

Life (n). A sexually transmitted disease which afflicts some people more severly than others.

ARGON

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Get yourself a "Rear Window Defogger Kit." You can find it at any auto parts store for about $6. We use this in our lab for to mount parts for electric discharge machining and I know it is a good conductive cement.

Good luck.

svol

Champion
You don't have around $10 somewhere around... that is all you need if you're lucky.

I bought my conductive paint for €6 or 8... can't find the price anymore.

Andyddr

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2001
I found some conductive paint (after alot of looking) made by RS Components in the UK (@ almost 15 USD a pop!!!). Problem is now I can only unlock my 11.x Athlon 1700+ to 11.5x (Athlon 1800+). The question is, is it possible that not all the bridges have been closed 100%?

When I change to 12.x (FSB @ 133) the system will not boot. Could be a shitty CPU? All this hassle to get this....

Regards

Your new hardware is out-of-date

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
hmm conductive paint I may have to go to the craft store, hadnt thought of that place... thanx for the idea lol

svol

Champion
With most CPUs after you increased the multiplier by 1x you also have to increase the CPU VCore a little to 1.8V or even 1.85V to make it boot at the higher speed. But remember that a higher Vcore will also results in a somewhat higher temp.

LancerEvolution7

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2002
See this is what I don't get, why spend $15 on a can of paint to get your xp1700 to run at xp1800 speeds? You can just pay $10 more to get a real xp1800? Also I got to xp 2000 speeds with my xp1700 by upping the fsb to 152.

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"