Toshiba DP80F printer wont work after upgrade from ME to XP

Have just bought new computer with XP Home. Also got a small Canon
colour printer which works fine and is the default printer, but my
good Toshiba (5 or 6 yrs old) won’t install. The drivers I have only
go up to ME and wont install, Toshiba has no drivers that I can find,
and the driver available on drivers.com says it works for XP, but I
can’t figure out how to make XP look at it. The printer is
configured for LPT1. I have also tried using the generic XP driver,
but still can’t get the printer to print. The connection is to the
only parallel port available. Can someone please help?

Topic URL: http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-Toshiba-DP80F-er-wont-work-upgrade-XP-ftopict553246.html
Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse: http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1755179
5 answers Last reply
More about toshiba dp80f printer wont work upgrade

    http://www.eid.toshiba.com/support/drivers/GDI.shtml

    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "nolnz" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > Have just bought new computer with XP Home. Also got a small Canon
    > colour printer which works fine and is the default printer, but my
    > good Toshiba (5 or 6 yrs old) won't install. The drivers I have only
    > go up to ME and wont install, Toshiba has no drivers that I can find,
    > and the driver available on drivers.com says it works for XP, but I
    > can't figure out how to make XP look at it. The printer is
    > configured for LPT1. I have also tried using the generic XP driver,
    > but still can't get the printer to print. The connection is to the
    > only parallel port available. Can someone please help?

    > request
    > Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-Toshiba-DP80F-er-wont-work-upgrade-XP-ftopict553246.html

    I cannot locate a printer driver for this printer/fax unit that can be
    used with XP. I would set a restore point and install the HP LaserJet
    driver from the Windows XP distribution CD. Do a manual install to
    LPT1. -if you have not already tried that.

    There seems to be an NT4 driver available. That might be worth trying
    but I hold out little hope.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    The direct link for this news group by way of NNTP is:
    NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax

    "nolnz" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    : Have just bought new computer with XP Home. Also got a small Canon
    : colour printer which works fine and is the default printer, but my
    : good Toshiba (5 or 6 yrs old) won’t install. The drivers I have only
    : go up to ME and wont install, Toshiba has no drivers that I can find,
    : and the driver available on drivers.com says it works for XP, but I
    : can’t figure out how to make XP look at it. The printer is
    : configured for LPT1. I have also tried using the generic XP driver,
    : but still can’t get the printer to print. The connection is to the
    : only parallel port available. Can someone please help?
    :
    : --
    : Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    request
    : Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    : Topic URL:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-Toshiba-DP80F-er-wont-work-upgrade-XP-ftopict553246.html
    : Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:
    http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1755179

    It's actually a Fax (with the ability to print)... !
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message
    >I cannot locate a printer driver for this printer/fax unit that can be
    > used with XP. I would set a restore point and install the HP LaserJet
    > driver from the Windows XP distribution CD. Do a manual install to
    > LPT1. -if you have not already tried that.
    >
    > There seems to be an NT4 driver available. That might be worth trying
    > but I hold out little hope.
    >
    > Tom
    > MSMVP
    > Windows Shell/User
    >
    > The direct link for this news group by way of NNTP is:
    > NEWS://msnews.microsoft.com/microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax
    >

    > "nolnz" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > : Have just bought new computer with XP Home. Also got a small Canon
    > : colour printer which works fine and is the default printer, but my
    > : good Toshiba (5 or 6 yrs old) won't install. The drivers I have only
    > : go up to ME and wont install, Toshiba has no drivers that I can find,
    > : and the driver available on drivers.com says it works for XP, but I
    > : can't figure out how to make XP look at it. The printer is
    > : configured for LPT1. I have also tried using the generic XP driver,
    > : but still can't get the printer to print. The connection is to the
    > : only parallel port available. Can someone please help?
    > :
    > : --
    > : Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > request
    > : Articles individually checked for conformance to usenet standards
    > : Topic URL:
    > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-Toshiba-DP80F-er-wont-work-upgrade-XP-ftopict553246.html
    > : Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report abuse:

    I have seen a reference* that refers to the "Printer" function as GDI,
    which is to say Graphics Device Interface. If that is literally true,
    there is no hope getting it to print with XP since the required
    executables are not present, indeed, are not available for XP.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    *
    http://www.eid.toshiba.com/support/drivers/dp80f.shtml
    Select the fax/printer in the Fax slot.

    : It's actually a Fax (with the ability to print)... !
    : --
    : Cari (MS-MVP)
    : Printing & Imaging
    :
    :
    :
    : "Tom Ferguson" <tomf@mvps.org> wrote in message
    : news:Om%23k2fXgFHA.1480@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    : >I cannot locate a printer driver for this printer/fax unit that can
    be
    : > used with XP. I would set a restore point and install the HP
    LaserJet
    : > driver from the Windows XP distribution CD. Do a manual install to
    : > LPT1. -if you have not already tried that.
    : >
[...]
    : > :
    : > : --

    "" wrote:
    > http://www.eid.toshiba.com/support/drivers/GDI.shtml
    >

    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >

    > "nolnz" <UseLinkToEmail@WindowsForumz.com> wrote in message
    > > Have just bought new computer with XP Home. Also got a small
    > Canon
    > > colour printer which works fine and is the default printer,
    > but my
    > > good Toshiba (5 or 6 yrs old) won't install. The drivers I
    > have only
    > > go up to ME and wont install, Toshiba has no drivers that I
    > can find,
    > > and the driver available on drivers.com says it works for XP, but I
    > > can't figure out how to make XP look at it. The printer is
    > > configured for LPT1. I have also tried using the generic
    > XP driver,
    > > but still can't get the printer to print. The connection is
    > to the
    > > only parallel port available. Can someone please help?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted using the http://www.windowsforumz.com interface, at author's
    > > request
    > standards
    > > Topic URL:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/Print---Fax-Toshiba-DP80F-er-wont-work-upgrade-XP-ftopict553246.html
    > > Visit Topic URL to contact author (reg. req'd). Report
    > abuse:
    > > http://www.windowsforumz.com/eform.php?p=1755179

    Thank you so much Cari, that worked a treat.

Windows XP Printers Toshiba