• PC gaming
  • Laptops
  • Games
  • Video Games
Last response: in Video Games
September 27, 2012 4:24:13 PM

Hello.

My questions:
I'm wondering how well games like NFS: The Run, TESV: Skyrim, Street Fighter X Tekken, CoD (MW3, Black Ops), Crysis, Crysis 2, and SHIFT 2 Unleashed will run on a laptop I'm looking at in comparison to my current laptop. I already know how well these games run on my current laptop, and that's not good at all. Most of them I can't even play, so I'm wondering how much better of a laptop the one I'm looking at is in comparison to my current laptop? How well will these games run on the laptop I'm looking at? Also, how much would this Acer laptop be worth by today's standards??

My current laptop specs:
Model - Toshiba Portege M750
Screen - 12.1" TFT LCD Screen @ 1280 x 800 Resolution
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo P8700 (Dual-Core) @ 2.53GHz
GPU- Intel GMA 4500MHD Integrated GPU (I've never seen over 100MB of video memory dedicated to games)
OS - Windows 7 Professional 32-bit
RAM - 4GB DDR2 RAM (only 2.87GB usable due to the 32-bit limitation)
HDD - 300GB 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive - DVDRW Reader/Writer (doesn't work)

The laptop I'm looking at (specs):
Model - Acer Aspire 8930G
Screen - 18.4" LCD Screen (at least 1600 x 900 resolution, however it could be higher)
CPU - Intel Core 2 Duo (Dual-Core) @ 2GHz
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT 512MB dedicated GPU
OS - Windows Vista 64-bit
RAM - 4GB DDR3 RAM
HDD - 300GB 7200RPM HDD
Optical Drive - Blu-ray Reader/DVDRW Reader/Writer

- Both laptops have the same hard drive capacity
- My laptop has a faster processor by about 530MHz (.53GHz)
- The Acer laptop has a much better GPU (it's also dedicated)
- The Acer laptop has more usable RAM, and the RAM is also faster
- The Acer laptop has a bigger, higher resolution screen
- The Acer laptop has a Blu-ray reader

More about : good laptop gaming

September 27, 2012 4:33:46 PM

Quote:
You are doing a downgrade in CPU performance, and upgrading slightly to a better GPU.... expect to play most games at a lower resolution than 1600x900 with fairly low details.

Okay, so if I were to down the resolution and play games at say... 1280 x 800, or even 1366 x 768, how well will games play? Will there be a noticeable gain in performance?

Also, how much would the Acer laptop be worth by today's standards?
m
l
September 27, 2012 4:53:03 PM

Quote:
Around 150-300 pounds here in the UK.

You should see a nice gain in performance, yes.

Is it worth the 150-300 pounds to buy, or is there anything that's currently available that's any better for that price do you know?

I want to be able to play all of the games I listed at at least 25-30FPS at least mostly medium settings at probably around 1024 x 600 resolution. Do you think that would be possible on this Acer laptop? Are there any laptops today that are around 150-200 pounds that will be equal in performance?
m
l
Related resources
September 27, 2012 5:46:54 PM

Quote:
The crysis games are the only games you will have to fight with to run well.

The rest should work fine.

So, do you know of any current laptops that are as good as this one for the same price or around the same price?
m
l
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2012 5:55:26 PM

Or you could get a desktop for that price, since you already have a laptop.
m
l
a b D Laptop
September 27, 2012 6:17:11 PM

I have an older Asus N80Vn with a 9650m gt (slightly better performer than the 9600), P8600, and native resolution of 1280x800.

Even at that low of resolution Skryim and Black Ops on low settings I find to be nearly unplayable at an acceptable ~framerate. I have not tried to play the other games you have listed. I think you would not be happy with that purchase I am afraid to say.
m
l
September 27, 2012 6:31:53 PM

Tibbs01 said:
I have an older Asus N80Vn with a 9650m gt (slightly better performer than the 9600), P8600, and native resolution of 1280x800.

Even at that low of resolution Skryim and Black Ops on low settings I find to be nearly unplayable at an acceptable ~framerate. I have not tried to play the other games you have listed. I think you would not be happy with that purchase I am afraid to say.

Wow, really? So, even though it has a Blu-ray reader and an 18.4" LCD screen, even at that price, it's still not worth the purchase you think? I really thought it would be able to play modern games at at least low/medium mixed settings at 1024 x 600 resolution...

Okay, so are there any laptops that are currently available that perform better than this Acer laptop at the $250 price range?
m
l
September 28, 2012 4:47:17 AM

Dude just use your current laptop for business/school and build a desktop instead for the same cost and nearly twice the performance. I once bought a gaming laptop and it was a huge waste--although it was pretty good performance by laptop standards, it was t worth the cash. I wasn't aware of just how much further along desktop gaming was in comparison to mobile gaming
m
l
September 28, 2012 7:38:58 AM

laptop graphics cards must be very expensive to work at any decent frames.
Check this place:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-9600M-GT.94...

This is the one you were talking about, and at the side you will find other models.
Most of them have benchmarks so you can check yourself what you are interestend in buying.
m
l
!