ATTN: Dragon Orb 3:Thermaltake

edpsx

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
This heatsink destroyed the die on my CPU. I moved my computer system from under my desk(to avoid heat) and by doing so the heatsink wobbled around(due to its immense mass) and crushed the edges around my die, rendering my cpu useless. Just letting everyone know DO NOT BUY THIS HEATSINK!!!! And I just wondered if anyone knew if Thermaltake could buy me a new cpu.. their heatsink should not have done this!! and now Im out a computer until I can get a new cpu. (this is the work computer)
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by edpsx on 09/19/02 09:17 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Well, this really s*cks. What CPU was killed?

And for sue Thermaltake, I guess there is some paragraph, maybe written in arial 4 (yeah, so tinny), that says he won't pay anything that results damaged. Probably they will say it has been installed wrongly.

An extra advice: if you move you computer usually, a shim can help to ensure this won't happen again.

DIY: read, buy, test, learn, reward yourself!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, ditto the shim.

They make cheap copper ones, but if you have a fairly fast system (figure tbird 1.3ghz or a XP 1800), don't get copper!

It holds entirely too much heat by the processor. Get either a mica one, or if you cannot get mica, get one of the "anodized" copper ones (it's copper, but the coating slows down the heat transfer just enough).

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

edpsx

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2002
Yeah a shim is what I was thinking.. and this Heatsink cant be installed wrong so they can screw themselves if they say that. I was a 1Ghz Tbird... not too bad.. but it was all I had in the way of a socket A.

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I seem to remember one of the Orbs were incompatible with shims. On the base of the heatsink there was a ridged circle. When used with a shim the ridge would keep the center of heat sink from touching the die (very bad).

Check the bottom of your Dragon Orb.

<b>I have so many cookies I now have a FAT problem!</b>