FAX Mail Transport Service Not Available

Status
Not open for further replies.

I am having difficulty setting up the Fax Mail Transport Service on
Windows 2000/XP clients on an SBS2003 Server. I can successfully setup
the FMTS if I log onto any machine as an administrator, but am
unsuccessful logging on as a regular user. All of the Outlook 2003
clients are logged on as member of Exchange system and not set up as
just local Outlook clients using POP3 or anything like that.
I've seen Russ Valentine's name sprinkled throughout lots of questions
like these across the net, but none have answered this question so far.
Pinging Russ Valentine (or somebody else who can help)...

Steve

OK, I'm feeling like a dork here, but its' still an inconvenience and
something you should know about.
I can set up the fax mail transport service as an administrator on an
XP machine. When I log back in as a regular user, it finally appears as
a MAPI service under other servers. But this is not how things like
this should work is it?

This is going to be ugly. I have wasted so much time trying to get around
The Fax Service's arcane requirements for logging onto MAPI profiles that I
finally had to give up. The only conclusion I could come up with that if I
wanted the Fax Service to log onto a MAPI profile, I would have to use an
administrator account, which is a completely unacceptable solution, of
course.

Which client fax software are you installing on these boxes? Windows 2000
Personal Fax, Windows XP Fax, or SBS client fax? I've never had a chance to
use the latter, so it may be your one ray of hope. Trust me, the first 2 are
hopeless.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
<bookie@familyadvocate.org> wrote in message
>I am having difficulty setting up the Fax Mail Transport Service on
> Windows 2000/XP clients on an SBS2003 Server. I can successfully setup
> the FMTS if I log onto any machine as an administrator, but am
> unsuccessful logging on as a regular user. All of the Outlook 2003
> clients are logged on as member of Exchange system and not set up as
> just local Outlook clients using POP3 or anything like that.
> I've seen Russ Valentine's name sprinkled throughout lots of questions
> like these across the net, but none have answered this question so far.
> Pinging Russ Valentine (or somebody else who can help)...
>
> Steve

I would still need the answer to my original question.
--
> OK, I'm feeling like a dork here, but its' still an inconvenience and
> something you should know about.
> I can set up the fax mail transport service as an administrator on an
> XP machine. When I log back in as a regular user, it finally appears as
> a MAPI service under other servers. But this is not how things like
> this should work is it?

Sorry for late reply.

OK, what I've discovered is that if I log into the administrator
account on a client computer, add the shared fax printer (off of SBS
2003), then add the Fax Mail Transport Service in Outlook (SBS shared
fax), then log back into the client and the fax mail transport service
is available to add.

So, it means going around to each machine, which is doable in my
office, but I can't imagine doing this in a large corporate setting.

I couldn't agree more. And you're doing better than most. SBS seems to be a
bit more compliant that Windows 2000 Fax was.
I'm not aware of anyone who has ever accused any of Microsoft's Fax Services
of being convenient or easy to configure.
--
> Sorry for late reply.
>
> OK, what I've discovered is that if I log into the administrator
> account on a client computer, add the shared fax printer (off of SBS
> 2003), then add the Fax Mail Transport Service in Outlook (SBS shared
> fax), then log back into the client and the fax mail transport service
> is available to add.
>
> So, it means going around to each machine, which is doable in my
> office, but I can't imagine doing this in a large corporate setting.

arama

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Thank you for the announcement but I send faxes form my ,a href="http://en.popfax.com/Fax%20number%20subs.html">fax number</a> via Popfax.com internet fax service Free Trial Offer.