rp614 hardware firewall

Hi
I bought a rp614 v2 to make the job of my linux box (firewall, masquerade,
dnat).

I am not able to let rp614 route computers from my lan if they have more
than one nic.
Do i mistake or is it a feature of this model?

Is there a model like it able to do the job i need.

Is it possible to program the rp614 myself and what stuff do i need ?

thnaks

On Tue, 4 May 2004 15:40:49 +0200, RosalieM spoketh

>Hi
>I bought a rp614 v2 to make the job of my linux box (firewall, masquerade,
>dnat).
>
>I am not able to let rp614 route computers from my lan if they have more
>than one nic.
>Do i mistake or is it a feature of this model?
>
>Is there a model like it able to do the job i need.
>
>Is it possible to program the rp614 myself and what stuff do i need ?
>
>thnaks

Make sure all your computers have the RP614 as the default gateway.
Computers with more than one NIC may have a gateway address set
incorrectly or on the wrong NIC...

Lars M. Hansen
http://www.hansenonline.net

From: "Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net>
> Make sure all your computers have the RP614 as the default gateway.
> Computers with more than one NIC may have a gateway address set
> incorrectly or on the wrong NIC...

It works well with one pcmcia card1 192.168.0.2 gateway 192.168.0.1 and dns
212.x.x.x (rp614 is 192.168.0.1 and get the nic number of card1 in his lan
table). this laptop is win98se.

If I plug another pcmcia card2 configured with static ip 10.x.x.x gateway
10.x.x.1 then it stop working even with no cable.

I have another router with an ip box that have two nic, it does not work too
with rp614.

Seems like rp614v2 route only at ethernet level, not ip level. Well i dont
master this, and may mistaken easily.

You think it should work and i badly configure something ?
Do you think there is light hardware that can firewall like iptable and
route like my linux bod does ?

Thanks for you previous answer.

On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:05:38 +0200, RosalieM spoketh

>From: "Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net>
>> Make sure all your computers have the RP614 as the default gateway.
>> Computers with more than one NIC may have a gateway address set
>> incorrectly or on the wrong NIC...
>
>It works well with one pcmcia card1 192.168.0.2 gateway 192.168.0.1 and dns
>212.x.x.x (rp614 is 192.168.0.1 and get the nic number of card1 in his lan
>table). this laptop is win98se.
>
>If I plug another pcmcia card2 configured with static ip 10.x.x.x gateway
>10.x.x.1 then it stop working even with no cable.

You can't have two gateway addresses... Remote the 10.x.x.1 gateway
address from this card, and you're ready to go...

Lars M. Hansen
www.hansenonline.net

"Lars M. Hansen" <badnews@hansenonline.net> a écrit dans le message de
> On Wed, 5 May 2004 17:05:38 +0200, RosalieM spoketh
> You can't have two gateway addresses... Remote the 10.x.x.1 gateway
> address from this card, and you're ready to go...

Many thanks, your answers show me that it should work.
I was mistaken again, i should deeply consider that i am human.

> >> Make sure all your computers have the RP614 as the default gateway.
> >> Computers with more than one NIC may have a gateway address set
> >> incorrectly or on the wrong NIC...
> Lars M. Hansen
> www.hansenonline.net

In fact rp614 did not want to deal with my computer if i use static arp with
arp-s.
Once i restart eth without this it wotked well.
Why?