loud chassis fan

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
my chassis fan makes a lot of noise. its not that bad, and i dont notice it if i have music on or whatever, but its annoying.

its a Sunon 80mm, the person at the store i bought it from said Sunon is the better brand of the ones they carry, and it doesn't make much noise, but i've found it too loud.

is there any suggestions anyone has? i cant think of a way to make it make less noise...

-Col.Kiwi

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
double post

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by CMRvet on 09/20/02 05:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
You can feed it with only 5 V from one of the HDD/CD connectors. It's going to be spinning slower but the noise problem will improve a lot

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
also bear in mind that fans are lounder than normal if they cannot get proper airflow happening. this happened in my case as the fan grill was really just a series of punched holes in the rear metal sheet, less than half the air moved by the fan was actually getting out. so i cut out the hole, put on a simple fan grill and it was MUCH quiter.
the fan was no longer struggling to move air.

<b><font color=blue>I prefer to blend into the background, because it's much easier to sneak up on people and disembowel them that way. Arr!</b></font color=blue>

Latest posts