Sign in with
Your question

List of games favoring nVidia/AMD/or neither.

Last response: in Video Games
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 3:49:40 AM

Hi everybody i was thinking you know what lets list down the games which are known to favor either nVidia or AMD, or some which does not favor between either.

It will help users to choose between nVidia/AMD the forum seems filled with fights almost everyday it's ridiculous maybe this will help what do you all think?
September 28, 2012 6:16:18 AM

just cause 2 : nvidia has problems with it so i would say it favors AMD
metro 2033: it favors neither because its terribly coded (or so they say)
call of duty games: nvidia has better average fps and fps tops
battlefield 3: both are good

sorry for my english im dutch.
and if i made a mistake (this is from personal experience)
September 28, 2012 10:03:45 AM

Lets see Batman arkham city Favors Nvidia
Crysis 1 & 2 seem to Favor Nvidia
Related resources
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 11:08:10 AM

I know Dirt 3 and alien vs predator are AMD BF3 and World of war Batman arkham city favors Nvidia
September 28, 2012 12:27:57 PM

A lot of Ubisoft games sometimes favor Nvidia..Assasin's creed, some of the tom clancy games, portal, shogun.
September 28, 2012 3:26:01 PM

Most of today games wont matter as they are basicly coede for consoles so either is powerfull enought to get 30+ FPS.
The problem you might run into is drivers not working correctly with the ecoding of the game (normally nvidia has more luck with this, but not sure why).

Then on the other side, older games did have importnace on this (crysis 1, metro 2033, etc).

As far as i know, games that have anything to do with Physx work a lot better on nvidia.
Games based on the Unreal Engine normally run better on ATIs.
I dont know any engine that actually favors nVidia, i think most reason that they seem to do so is becouse of better driver coding for specific games.

Anyway you should probably only look at most demanding games only, as once you reach over 40 FPS, there wont be that much of a reason to spend extra cash on a better GPU.

September 28, 2012 5:16:52 PM

If you see this before the game starts, it favors nvidia. ;) 

a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 5:17:29 PM

cats_Paw said:
Most of today games wont matter as they are basicly coede for consoles so either is powerfull enought to get 30+ FPS.
The problem you might run into is drivers not working correctly with the ecoding of the game (normally nvidia has more luck with this, but not sure why).

Then on the other side, older games did have importnace on this (crysis 1, metro 2033, etc).

As far as i know, games that have anything to do with Physx work a lot better on nvidia.
Games based on the Unreal Engine normally run better on ATIs.
I dont know any engine that actually favors nVidia, i think most reason that they seem to do so is becouse of better driver coding for specific games.

Anyway you should probably only look at most demanding games only, as once you reach over 40 FPS, there wont be that much of a reason to spend extra cash on a better GPU.

Unreal Engine incorporates PhysX as a core feature and consistently favors Nvidia cards.
September 28, 2012 5:50:25 PM

I would think unreal engine with exclusives like gears of war would run better on amd/ati(360's gpu). Some twimtbp titles run better on amd/ati, too.

I have generally seen the BF3 runs better on nvidia hardware(at least in canned benches. On techreport and hardocp, which are two sites I trust more
on that sort of thing, amd performs the same or better price/performance wise). Call of duty titles run ridiculously fast on anything. I think I have seen
Crysis 1 favor nvidia but Crysis 2 favor AMD. Metro runs like crap on everything. The latest dirt title(s?) scream on amd cards. There was a time that
Assassin's Creed flew on amd compared to nvidia(dx10.1 patch before it got pulled). I don't think Portal is ubisoft(it's a valve game bulit on source/
the half life universe). Valve games seem to favor nvidia(but again, the frame rates are so ridiculously high that any difference is purely academic).

Mass Effect, Sims 3, and counter strike(another source game) run fast on everything. Witcher can actually run both teams through the wringer pretty good.

Fyi, the dx10.1 Assassin's Creed patch got pulled 'cuz nvidia fanboys complained. If it'd stayed, some of the lower end nvidia cards now would run it better.
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 6:00:39 PM

The only favoring I know of (obviously there are others):

Metro 2033 favor AMD. I've read the reason is due to use of DirectCompute
AvP favors AMD
Dirt 2 & 3 favor AMD, though the fps are so high it doesn't matter a lot

BF3 favors Nvidia, though with updates to AMD drivers, it's close
Blizzard games such as WoW and Starcraft 2 favor Nvidia
Batman AA and AC favor Nvidia if you use PhysX at least, possibly even without
Most any game with PhysX, unless physX is used sparingly.
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 7:47:21 PM

bystander said:
The only favoring I know of (obviously there are others):

Metro 2033 favor AMD. I've read the reason is due to use of DirectCompute
AvP favors AMD
Dirt 2 & 3 favor AMD, though the fps are so high it doesn't matter a lot

BF3 favors Nvidia, though with updates to AMD drivers, it's close
Blizzard games such as WoW and Starcraft 2 favor Nvidia
Batman AA and AC favor Nvidia if you use PhysX at least, possibly even without
Most any game with PhysX, unless physX is used sparingly.
Thanks! :) 
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 9:05:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who responded.I appreciate it. ;) 
September 28, 2012 10:58:34 PM

Farcry 3
September 28, 2012 10:58:42 PM

mrlime09 said:
Lets see Batman arkham city Favors Nvidia
Crysis 1 & 2 seem to Favor Nvidia

Actually its the other way around crytek engine favours AMD
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 11:04:09 PM

redeemer said:
Actually its the other way around crytek engine favours AMD

It's close, but I do recall crysis 1 favoring AMD, I'm unsure about 2.
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 11:36:26 PM

I agree i am also pretty sure Crysis favors AMD i might be wrong though. I found a really old list someone made i am not sure if it's correct though the amd list looks correct to me but the nVidia i don't know
=== nVidia
Borderlands
Batman: Arkham Asylum
GTA4
Mafia II
crysis
the godfather 2
ghost recon advanced warfighter 1 and 2

ATI
===
Aliens v. Predators
Dirt 2
Metro 2033
Deus Ex

Neutral
=====
Witcher 2
mass effect
mass effect 2
team fortress 2
battlefield bad company 2
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 11:46:20 PM

I'm surprised more people aren't posting benchmarks. It seems like that would be better than just blindly guessing.

a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 11:50:15 PM

I think that is what should be done from here out otherwise it will be questioned and argued when you have proof then nobody can argue it.
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 28, 2012 11:52:56 PM

17seconds said:
I'm surprised more people aren't posting benchmarks. It seems like that would be better than just blindly guessing.

http://img.hexus.net/v2/graphics_cards/nvidia/GTX660Ti/660!/Crysis.png
Are these benchmarks conducted with older drivers?Because there will be AMD fans who argue this you know.They will lose their mind.I have seen it many times they flip out hardcore :lol: 
September 29, 2012 12:24:39 AM

Didn't crytek pass off the far cry franchise to another developer? I don't know who or how the various cards run far cry 2 or 3(unreleased?), and don't really
care. Far Cry 2 does look interesting, and it runs pretty well on anything. As far as the Crysis franchise goes, I'm pretty sure almost all the benchmarks I've
seen favor nvidia in crysis 1. I've seen recent benchmarks where amd does notably better than nvidia on higher than high settings in crysis 2(perhaps thru
recent patches and/or amd driver mojo). I wish I had time to scour the net for some pretty pictures that support what I just wrote, but I only really pay
attention to gpu reviews at techreport and hardocp. Their methods require a shorter list of tested games than many other sites and drop off games like
those when newer, more popular and graphically intense games come along. I will bring up a quote that many of us have likely read from crytek about how
"crysis 3 will melt your pc.". If Far Cry 1 and Crysis 1 are anything to go by, it may be years before any rig can max out that game on a super hd setup.
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 12:32:34 AM

As far as Crysis goes, here is one benchmark I found: http://www.anandtech.com/show/5261/amd-radeon-hd-7970-r...

You'll see it mildly favors AMD if you consider that a 6970 has about the same power as a 570 in most games, and the 590 and 6990 were pretty much equal. The benchmarks shows in both cases, the AMD pulls ahead.
September 29, 2012 1:15:37 AM

I haven't really seen or taken notice of crysis benches for a while. Maybe it's a driver thing. Since this was the 7970 launch before Christmas last year,
I can see the 7970 being a little wiggy(way behind gtx590 and hd6990 at 2560x1600 and 1920x1200, but way ahead at 1680x1850). It impresses me
how hd6970 is close to gtx580, 6950 beats gtx 570 and hd5870 is close at 2560x1600. The story is similar at 1920x1200 with hd5850 beating gtx470
(not that the game is likely playable on those 2 cards at that combo of settings and res). What gets me is how it took 2 gtx480s at launch to be
playable in crysis 1/warhead on max settings with 4xaa at 2560x1600, but a relatively lowly hd6850 allowed playable performance in crysis 2 on max
settings at 1080p(likely due to the game being originally developed for consoles. The dx11 patch and a texture pack have sure changed that, though).

Edit: forgot to scroll down the page for mimimum frame rates. The story doesn't change all that much, though
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 1:22:38 AM

Actually a 6950 doesn't beat a 570 i have own both cards the 6950 i had traded blows with my non reference 560 TI and my son has GTX 480 although it's a powerhog and loud it still mops the floor with his girlfriends 7850 not to mention the 480 came out over two years ago i think AMD has really stepped their game up though now and you couldn't go wrong with going with one of their cards but i think that were getting a bit off topic here so i apologize and let's get back on topic.
a b À AMD
a c 80 Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 1:30:28 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Actually a 6950 doesn't beat a 570 i have own both cards the 6950 i had traded blows with my non reference 560 TI and my son has GTX 480 although it's a powerhog and loud it still mops the floor with his girlfriends 7850 not to mention the 480 came out over two years ago i think AMD has really stepped their game up though now and you couldn't go wrong with going with one of their cards

You misunderstood the conversation. In the Crysis benchmark above, the 6950 beat the 570, which is unusual, which is why I said Crysis 1 was AMD favored.
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 1:31:17 AM

bystander said:
You misunderstood the conversation. In the Crysis benchmark above, the 6950 beat the 570, which is unusual, which is why I said Crysis 1 was AMD favored.
my bad sorry about that.
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 1:57:41 AM

bigcyco1 said:
Are these benchmarks conducted with older drivers?Because there will be AMD fans who argue this you know.They will lose their mind.I have seen it many times they flip out hardcore :lol: 

Its seems that for a game to truly "favor" one architecture over another, a simple driver update shouldn't matter. Also, in terms of those magical 12.7+ drivers, they only hold value for 7000 series users. Anyone with a 6000 series card has been out of luck in terms of major performance increases. Another reason, for me, why a driver change shouldn't change whether one game is favored or not. There's just no driver Nvidia can come up with that will change the performance balance in Aliens vs. Predator or Sniper Elite ver. 2, for example.
http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-6-whql-12-7-beta...
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 2:11:50 AM

17seconds said:
Its seems that for a game to truly "favor" one architecture over another, a simple driver update shouldn't matter. Also, in terms of those magical 12.7+ drivers, they only hold value for 7000 series users. Anyone with a 6000 series card has been out of luck in terms of major performance increases. Another reason, for me, why a driver change shouldn't change whether one game is favored or not. There's just no driver Nvidia can come up with that will change the performance balance in Aliens vs. Predator or Sniper Elite ver. 2, for example.
http://benchmark3d.com/amd-catalyst-12-6-whql-12-7-beta...
That makes sense to me i agree. :) 
September 29, 2012 2:18:37 AM

I agree the hd6950 should be around gtx560ti(though sometimes hd6870 does as well as gtx560ti). A hd7850 might be a little slower than gtx480 in a
few cases(I would bet newer drivers make 7850 as fast or faster in most cases) but hd7850 overclocks like crazy while gtx480 doesn't(at least not without
water cooling, which is a no no in my book. That's me, though). Oh. gtx480 uses like 2x the power of hd7850, too. They sell new about the same price.
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 2:26:59 AM

jtenorj said:
I agree the hd6950 should be around gtx560ti(though sometimes hd6870 does as well as gtx560ti). A hd7850 might be a little slower than gtx480 in a
few cases(I would bet newer drivers make 7850 as fast or faster in most cases) but hd7850 overclocks like crazy while gtx480 doesn't(at least not without
water cooling, which is a no no in my book. That's me, though). Oh. gtx480 uses like 2x the power of hd7850, too. They sell new about the same price.

I think the point of this thread is to acknowlege that it often depends on the game, so blanket statements can be misleading.
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 2:33:14 AM

matto17secs is correct that is the point of the thread
September 29, 2012 2:33:58 AM

It really does depend on the games sometimes. But its also not like a game that favors Nvidia won't work at all with Amd. Of course fps might be an issue, but at times its still very playable with similar visuals.

Lots of people are picking cards based on the type of games they favor. That's fine if you have a set amount that you only play, but for me I like everything so I go for the card that will give me the performance based on what I may do in the future (upgrade monitor/resolution) with the price that is comfortable to me. If I am looking to pay only 350 at most then I would have gotten a 670.
a b À AMD
a b Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 2:37:06 AM

I understand what your saying selayan this is just for people who care about which games favor which hardware
September 29, 2012 3:08:05 AM

Yeh its deff helpful I agree. I've often wondered the same thing sometimes. Each year seems like the big hits are often the Nvidia ones though most likely because development of that game engine and drivers is simpler. Kind of like its easy to use Asp.net technology to build a fully functional site for someone new as opposed to doing the same thing in just java.
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 3:33:43 AM

selayan said:
Yeh its deff helpful I agree. I've often wondered the same thing sometimes. Each year seems like the big hits are often the Nvidia ones though most likely because development of that game engine and drivers is simpler. Kind of like its easy to use Asp.net technology to build a fully functional site for someone new as opposed to doing the same thing in just java.

Nvidia has good relationships with game developers, even for games not in The Way It's Meant To Be Played program. BF3 is a good example of that with DICE, as are the games from Bethesda, Valve, Epic, its a pretty significant list. There was a news article not too long ago where the president of Bethesda said that working with Nvidia was way easier for them. John Carmack from Id had a similar quote. It usually shows in games that have mostly proper driver support and SLI profiles on release day.

AMD's similar program is taking some time to gain traction. So far their games are not top shelf titles (Sniper Elite v. 2 for example), but Far Cry 3 was just added. Their big strategy is to increase the usage of dynamic lighting that makes use of DirectCompute, which gives AMD an architectural advantage. Given that Nvidia significantly outsells AMD in the gaming segment, I wouldn't expect too many developers to jump on board with the Gaming Evolved program.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey
September 29, 2012 3:41:42 AM

17seconds said:
Nvidia has good relationships with game developers, even for games not in The Way It's Meant To Be Played program. BF3 is a good example of that with DICE, as are the games from Bethesda, Valve, Epic, its a pretty significant list. There was a news article not too long ago where the president of Bethesda said that working with Nvidia was way easier for them. John Carmack from Id had a similar quote.

AMD's similar program is taking some time to gain traction. So far their games are not top shelf titles (Sniper Elite v. 2 for example), but Far Cry 3 was just added. Their big strategy is to increase the usage of dynamic lighting that makes use of DirectCompute, which gives AMD an architectural advantage. Given that Nvidia significantly outsells AMD in the gaming segment, I wouldn't expect too many developers to jump on board with the Gaming Evolved program.
http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Same goes for xbox 360 games. Max payne 3 seems to do a little better on Nvidia. Alan Wake---> ATI maybe?
I'm Alive-->Both is ok, Hitman Absolution--Possibly ATI but its coded to function with both since its not as demanding although it looks like a great graphical improvement over Blood Money.

I've had issues with A-10C Warthog with my last Nvidia card. I will try it when I get my 7970GE but to really appreciate that game you need a good hands on throttle stick.

ArmaII I think Nvidia. Trying to think of other games I've had over the past few years that I remember. Have a bunch I'm waiting to play since I've been without a card for a while now.
a c 151 À AMD
a c 385 Î Nvidia
September 29, 2012 3:52:31 AM

One game that has flipped with later driver releases is Dragon Age II. That game was unplayable on an Nvidia card for a LONG time. That seems to have changed recently.
October 2, 2012 7:05:10 PM

17seconds said:
One game that has flipped with later driver releases is Dragon Age II. That game was unplayable on an Nvidia card for a LONG time. That seems to have changed recently.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_600_Series

Pretty much the specs is out for the 650 Ti which should be here oct 9th if those thinking about getting a 650 you might wanna wait and see how it plays out
March 25, 2013 4:40:40 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Hi everybody i was thinking you know what lets list down the games which are known to favor either nVidia or AMD, or some which does not favor between either.

It will help users to choose between nVidia/AMD the forum seems filled with fights almost everyday it's ridiculous maybe this will help what do you all think?

May 3, 2013 12:53:40 AM

In Anandtech benchmark nvidia perform better for BF3. So i think frostbite favor nvidia.
!