P4 2.4 OC problems

careyd

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002
Hi everyone. I just finished building a new machine with the intent of overclocking it. Today I was attempting to do just that, but have been pretty disappointed with the limited overclocking performance I have had.

I purchased an Asus P4T-533C mobo and also had a chance to use a Gigabyte 8IHXP mobo. These are both 533mhz capable-mobos. I purchased 1GB of 1066 Rambus RDRAM.

For a processor I went with the P4 2.4ghz/400FSB based on what I've read here on Tom's Hardware that this processor would have more FSB overclockability potential than it's 533 cousin. (that is...because you can start at 100mhz bus frequency (factory) vs. starting at 133 (factory), leaving more overclocking leeway on the way up to 150FSB)

Well, I configured the system with a Swiftech MCX-4000 HSF (amazing air cooler...very low CPU temps)...and would consider watercooling if necessary...but I can't even get that far.

On either of these two very highly rated and very overclockable mobos, I can't get the bus past 112 and get past POST. At one point I got through POST at 115 but then windows xp hung on boot. I have tried VCORE voltages starting at 1.5 stock all the way up to 1.85. The CPU never has a chance to get past about 35C on the digital doc (or motherboard monitor) as I can't even get much past boot in any kind of overclock mode.

With the bus at 112 it yields a CPU speed of 2688mhz, a terribly poor OC performance from this 2.4ghz chip. Especially considering the mobo is 533 capable and I'm using the expensive 1066 RDRAM.

Anything I'm doing wrong? or should I consider trying a different processor? Was it a mistake to use the p4/400 for this machine?

TIA

carey

FUGGER

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
IS your PCI locked at 33/66? You might be taking your AGP too high for the video card to handle.

You are limited to what your mind can perceive.

Dunz

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2002
I have heard that the power supply can play a huge role when O/Cing the P4 & increased voltages. Check the actual voltages and compare to set voltages. Will your m/b let you increase voltage to the memory? Try a different power supply (400w min). Try FUGGER's suggestion first. I was going to build a similar system w/ a 2.2 P4 so let me know if ya getit working.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
A newer video cards really that shitty..er, sensitive? I have an i740 card (4 years old) that ran at 133MHz, with a BX chipset board at 174MHz FSB, AGP ratio of 2/3, and AGP2x enabled by default.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

careyd

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2002
Hi folks,
Thanks for the suggestions.

FYI: AFAIK you cannot lock the PCI/AGP on a P4/RDRAM mobo. At least not on these two mobos which are supposed to be the best two for P4/Rambus and overclocking. You can, however run at varying speeds such as FSB/PCI of 120/40 or 120/30, other frequencies you only have one choice. When you get up to 133FSP you can hit PCI of 33 again (AGP of 66). I have tried all of the combinations of settings and just cannot get this thing to go any higher.

Oh, BTW-Power supply and voltage is not an issue. I'm using an Antec Truepower 480-watt PS and voltages do not dip at all in the bios nor on my Digital Doc probe.

I think I am going to return the P4/2.4/400 and get a P4 2.53/533 and see if I can't get that up to at least 2.8 or so.

Any other suggestions before I do that?

Thanks in advance....

carey