Old P4 overclock

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
Aloha to all.....here goes..
Currently i have a P4 1.5GHZ Willamette 423 on an ABIT TH7 Raid with the 850 chipset...256 40ns RDRAM...
I want to try to overclock my CPU..and the ram if possible...
Thing is...i have no clue about overclocking...but before i start reading into it..i'd like to know if there is any point to do so...what's the best case scenario with my current setup...considering it's not a northwood and all....
Can i hit 2GHZ???...and i mean by that ..with THIS setup...and not with another board with DDR...
Thanks in advance...

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I don't know about hitting 2.0----cuz my willy 1.6 can barely run stable at that speed.You are probably going to hit 1.85-1.9 for sure.Just go into your bios and set speed to "manual"--and try setting fsb speeds up a little at a time till the blue screen; or post says ....due to overclocking...then back it off a bit.Remember your multiple(14x,15x etc.)multiplied by your fsb=clock speed.So for i.e. my multiple=16x125(fsb)=2.0 mhz. Give it a shot ---just watch your temps., as these willy's run warm!!

:wink: They can't fire me,slaves have to be sold !!! :wink:

oymd

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2001
ok then...so i've got 2 parameters to work with ..the multiplier and the FSB....
When i multiply both i get the desired speed...
what i dont get is:
which should i push first...
ie:
16*100=1600
15*106=1600

which should i push first....the multiplier or the FSB...

P.S. i'm using the stock HSF...is there any possibility of frying the CPU??

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
the multiplier is <b>LOCKED</b> in Intel CPU's. You can only work with the FSB.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I would first try fsb=115,this way, with your multiplier of 15(?)--you will be at 1.725. if it boots ok try 118 (1.770),then 120=which would get you 1.800. I don't know if you'll get much more though but try anyways!!you never know!!if you don't have---get asus probe or similiar program to monitor temps.also you may have to increase the vcore--BUT do this in as small increments as possible; as this too will increase the temp.check temp before any changes are made so you will know what, if any, increases have developed!! My willy runs at 37c right now but under load(i.e.--quake or max payne,will run as high as 56-58c!!this is why i have a small house fan--8" blowing into my side when gaming--keeping temps to a"LOW" of 50c!!) Post back your results so we can see what you got to.. Oh yeah i really don't think you can fry your chip cuz it'll shut off when it hits the max. temp set in bios.(hopefully enabled!!)i know cuz i fired mine up without the hsf ---took about 4 seconds before the sys. shutdown!!

Toester

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2002
I would first try fsb=115,this way, with your multiplier of 15(?)--you will be at 1.725. if it boots ok try 118 (1.770),then 120=which would get you 1.800. I don't know if you'll get much more though but try anyways!!you never know!!if you don't have---get asus probe or similiar program to monitor temps.also you may have to increase the vcore--BUT do this in as small increments as possible; as this too will increase the temp.check temp before any changes are made so you will know what, if any, increases have developed!! My willy runs at 37c right now but under load(i.e.--quake or max payne,will run as high as 56-58c!!this is why i have a small house fan--8" blowing into my side when gaming--keeping temps to a"LOW" of 50c!!) Post back your results so we can see what you got to.. Oh yeah i really don't think you can fry your chip cuz it'll shut off when it hits the max. temp set in bios.(hopefully enabled!!)i know cuz i fired mine up without the hsf ---took about 4 seconds before the sys. shutdown!!