combined broadband/wifi card?

I'm thinking of getting VZW's wireless broadband service, for use in
and around NY. But my understanding is that the high-speed service is
not available everywhere, so I'll still need access to WiFi. Is there
a combined Boradband/WiFi PCMCIA card? This would be for a laptop
that only has one PCMCIA slot, and I don't want to have to bring an
extra card with me when I travel.

(Also, comments about the quality of the Broadband connection would be
helpful.)

Thanks.

-Joel
2 answers Last reply
More about combined broadband wifi card

    Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
    > I'm thinking of getting VZW's wireless broadband service, for use in
    > and around NY. But my understanding is that the high-speed service is
    > not available everywhere, so I'll still need access to WiFi. Is there
    > a combined Boradband/WiFi PCMCIA card? This would be for a laptop
    > that only has one PCMCIA slot, and I don't want to have to bring an
    > extra card with me when I travel.
    >
    > (Also, comments about the quality of the Broadband connection would be
    > helpful.)
    >
    > Thanks.
    >
    > -Joel

    Got USB ports? They make b/g Wifi USB devices (dongles) that plug into the
    external USB ports when you need em. I use the card for Broadband inside my
    computer, and have the external WiFi USB device when needed.

    Linksys WUSB54GP at
    http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&scid=36&prid=669
    You can plug it directly into your PC and adjust the tilt-and-swivel
    connector and swing-up antenna for best reception, or use the included USB
    Extension Base to put the Adapter anywhere you'd like, up to six feet away

    As for the Broadband card, it depends where you are. I am in Las Vegas, and
    it works great here. When I was in Tampa (also an EVDO area), it worked okay
    in most places, but I ran into bad reception areas inside some buildings.
    (it drops down to 1x speeds when it can't get a good EVDO signal). If you
    get the cards that do both broadband and 1x (I think they all do), you can
    use it almost anywhere there is a signal, and don't really need wifi (unless
    like me, I have a wireless network at work and need it for that).

    Fun thing to do if you get one, the video cameras work with them, and you
    can send streaming video to friends and family while you travel around.

    The BroadbandAccess card automatically falls back to 1xRTT speeds where the
    higher speed is not available. The reverse is also true. One can get
    connected wherever VZW has cellular service. The connection will simply be
    at a higher speed wherever VZW has it available - I think in about 32 cities
    so far.

    I think the new Samsung SCH-i730 PDA incorporates EV-DO, Wi-Fi and
    Bluetooth. There was a news flash last month, I think, that did talk about
    an upcoming EV-DO/Wi-Fi PCMCIA device, but I cannot find the link again. If
    I locate it later, I will post it here.

    HTH.

    Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.

    Andromedan

    "Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
    :
    : I'm thinking of getting VZW's wireless broadband service, for use in
    : and around NY. But my understanding is that the high-speed service is
    : not available everywhere, so I'll still need access to WiFi. Is there
    : a combined Boradband/WiFi PCMCIA card? This would be for a laptop
    : that only has one PCMCIA slot, and I don't want to have to bring an
    : extra card with me when I travel.
    :
    : (Also, comments about the quality of the Broadband connection would be
    : helpful.)
    :
    : Thanks.
    :
    : -Joel
    :

Verizon Broadband WiFi and Home Networking PCMCIA Internet Service Providers