combined broadband/wifi card?

Last response: in Network Providers
April 7, 2005 7:31:47 PM

I'm thinking of getting VZW's wireless broadband service, for use in
and around NY. But my understanding is that the high-speed service is
not available everywhere, so I'll still need access to WiFi. Is there
a combined Boradband/WiFi PCMCIA card? This would be for a laptop
that only has one PCMCIA slot, and I don't want to have to bring an
extra card with me when I travel.

(Also, comments about the quality of the Broadband connection would be
helpful.)

Thanks.

-Joel
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:31:48 PM

Dr. Joel M. Hoffman wrote:
> I'm thinking of getting VZW's wireless broadband service, for use in
> and around NY. But my understanding is that the high-speed service is
> not available everywhere, so I'll still need access to WiFi. Is there
> a combined Boradband/WiFi PCMCIA card? This would be for a laptop
> that only has one PCMCIA slot, and I don't want to have to bring an
> extra card with me when I travel.
>
> (Also, comments about the quality of the Broadband connection would be
> helpful.)
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Joel

Got USB ports? They make b/g Wifi USB devices (dongles) that plug into the
external USB ports when you need em. I use the card for Broadband inside my
computer, and have the external WiFi USB device when needed.

Linksys WUSB54GP at
http://www.linksys.com/products/product.asp?grid=33&sci...
You can plug it directly into your PC and adjust the tilt-and-swivel
connector and swing-up antenna for best reception, or use the included USB
Extension Base to put the Adapter anywhere you'd like, up to six feet away

As for the Broadband card, it depends where you are. I am in Las Vegas, and
it works great here. When I was in Tampa (also an EVDO area), it worked okay
in most places, but I ran into bad reception areas inside some buildings.
(it drops down to 1x speeds when it can't get a good EVDO signal). If you
get the cards that do both broadband and 1x (I think they all do), you can
use it almost anywhere there is a signal, and don't really need wifi (unless
like me, I have a wireless network at work and need it for that).

Fun thing to do if you get one, the video cameras work with them, and you
can send streaming video to friends and family while you travel around.
Anonymous
April 7, 2005 7:31:48 PM

The BroadbandAccess card automatically falls back to 1xRTT speeds where the
higher speed is not available. The reverse is also true. One can get
connected wherever VZW has cellular service. The connection will simply be
at a higher speed wherever VZW has it available - I think in about 32 cities
so far.

I think the new Samsung SCH-i730 PDA incorporates EV-DO, Wi-Fi and
Bluetooth. There was a news flash last month, I think, that did talk about
an upcoming EV-DO/Wi-Fi PCMCIA device, but I cannot find the link again. If
I locate it later, I will post it here.

HTH.

Live long and prosper. Damn the Vulcans for stealing our line.

Andromedan

"Dr. Joel M. Hoffman" <joel@exc.com> wrote in message
news:D nc5e.34$UY4.26@fe10.lga...
: