Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi
I am having problems with XP Home using plug n play for printers.
Others in my organization can plug into common printers and use them without
needing to install the OEM specific software. How can I ncorrect this issue?
--
thanks

Please let us know:

-Are these networked printers? I would guess that they are but you don't
say.
-What method procedure do your colleagues use that succeeds for them but
fails for you?
-What method or procedure succeeds for you?
-What is the source of the printer drivers that they use?
-...that you use?

Thanks.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
: Hi
: I am having problems with XP Home using plug n play for printers.
: Others in my organization can plug into common printers and use them
without
: needing to install the OEM specific software. How can I ncorrect this
issue?
: --
: thanks

Bob

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi
No, they are not network printers.
My edition of XP with SP2 just doesn't seem to be able to plug n play with
some pretty common printers.
Any thoughts?

--
thanks

"Tom Ferguson" wrote:

> Please let us know:
>
> -Are these networked printers? I would guess that they are but you don't
> say.
> -What method procedure do your colleagues use that succeeds for them but
> fails for you?
> -What method or procedure succeeds for you?
> -What is the source of the printer drivers that they use?
> -...that you use?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Tom
> MSMVP
> Windows Shell/User
>

> "Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> : Hi
> : I am having problems with XP Home using plug n play for printers.
> : Others in my organization can plug into common printers and use them
> without
> : needing to install the OEM specific software. How can I ncorrect this
> issue?
> : --
> : thanks

Chuck

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2001

If you have an OEM furnished copy of XP, it may not include drivers that are
included in the retail version.
Alternately, the drivers may be present, but in a subdirectory unique to the
OEM's version.
This is not all bad, since the printer drivers furnished with a windows
version are often stripped down versions.
It's always best to check a printer mfrs web site before you
install/reinstall a printer.

"Bob" <Bob@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi
> I am having problems with XP Home using plug n play for printers.
> Others in my organization can plug into common printers and use them
> without
> needing to install the OEM specific software. How can I ncorrect this
> issue?
> --
> thanks

Do you have any answers for the other questions-those about printer
drivers and install procedures, in particular?

: Hi
: No, they are not network printers.
: My edition of XP with SP2 just doesn't seem to be able to plug n play
with
: some pretty common printers.
: Any thoughts?
:
[...]