GoToMyPC w/ Cell???

Looking for a solution that will allow me to use GoToMyPC with a cell phone.

Would like to access my desktop while in a taxi, at the airport or walking
down the street. Would rather carry a smaller device like a Treo,
Blackberry or Ipaq instead of a laptop with a wireless card.

GoToMyPC has a "smaller" version available to subscribers that is compatible
with Windows Mobile, so it looks like they've developed the software for it.

Does anybody out there use their cell like that?

Thanks-

Tom C. wrote:
> Looking for a solution that will allow me to use GoToMyPC with a cell
> phone.
>
> Would like to access my desktop while in a taxi, at the airport or
> walking down the street. Would rather carry a smaller device like a
> Treo, Blackberry or Ipaq instead of a laptop with a wireless card.
>
> GoToMyPC has a "smaller" version available to subscribers that is
> compatible with Windows Mobile, so it looks like they've developed
> the software for it.
>
> Does anybody out there use their cell like that?
>
> Thanks-

Haven't tried the smaller one on a phone itself, but I have my cell tethered
to my notebook, velcroed to the lid, and it works fine that way.

Mike

Splendid

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 13:29:23 -0700, "Peter Pan"
<PeterPanNOSPAM@AkamailNOSPAM.com> wrote:

>Haven't tried the smaller one on a phone itself, but I have my cell tethered
>to my notebook, velcroed to the lid, and it works fine that way.

I've used GoToMyPC with my iPaq, via Bluetooth to my Motorola v710,
and it works great.

As far as "just using it on a phone", I suppose it might work on a
Windows Mobile smartphone? (i.e. the Samsung i700 or whatever it is) I
don't have that, so I haven't tried it.

Tom,

I've used GoToMyPC for quite some time, and have used their mobile version
on my i700 Pocket PC Phone Edition for about a year. It works amazingly
well, but I can't recommend it for everyday use. If you set the screen
resolution so that your entire remote PC screen is displayed on the Pocket
PC screen, it's unusable because all of the fonts and icons are so small.
You can set the resolution to "zoom in " to varying degrees, which allows
you to pan the pocket PC screen around on the remote PC screen. This works
OK, except that all the panning around is very cumbersome. In short, I have
used GoToMyPC mobile several times in "emergency" situations when I had no
other way available to connect to my remote PC. It works, but it isn't
easy.

There is a better solution you may want to consider. I have Verizon
Wireless' PC5220 PC card which is capable of connecting to any of VZW's data
services (see
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/controller?item=phoneFirst&action=viewPhoneDetail&selectedPhoneId=1517).
This includes their EVDO broadband service that is available in most major
metropolitan areas. With this card plugged into my laptop or tablet PC, I
can connect to the Internet just about anywhere in Verizon's coverage area.
I use this all the time in my car, in a cab, at the airport, or sitting at
the ball park watching a game. I run GoToMyPC regularly using this service.

Good luck!
-Reed
MS MVP

Thanks a lot Reed for the info.
This will really help with making a decision.

Regards,

- Tom C.