Fax with cable not dial up

I have Charter as my provider, high speed cable. I would like to be
able to fax from my P.C. at home. Now I don't have dial up to put
number in as I used to with windows 98. I don't have this service any
more, so is there a way to fax with Windowsxppro service pac2.

Thanks Dennis :)

--
dennis Olden

Byte

To Fax you'll need an analog phone line with dial-up to get a dial tone.
The two phone jacks on the back of your computer are the dialup modem.. one
of them will be marked 'phone' and the other marked 'line'..

Connect the output marked 'line' to a telephone jack via a filter supplied
by the ISP.. then load the dialup modem drivers if you have not already done
so.. check in control panel that the dialup modem is showing in the
configuration, and run the diagnostics to check that it is ok..

Install your fax software.. the fax software should now detect the dialup
modem..
Courtesy of:
--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"dennis Olden" wrote:

> I have Charter as my provider, high speed cable. I would like to be
> able to fax from my P.C. at home. Now I don't have dial up to put
> number in as I used to with windows 98. I don't have this service any
> more, so is there a way to fax with Windowsxppro service pac2.
>
> Thanks Dennis :)
>

> --
> dennis Olden

Unlike most dial-up modems, a broadband modem is not capable
of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
directly.
In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1

Or consider purchasing a regular fax machine and connect it to your phone
line.

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP