Fax with cable not dial up

I have Charter as my provider, high speed cable. I would like to be
able to fax from my P.C. at home. Now I don't have dial up to put
number in as I used to with windows 98. I don't have this service any
more, so is there a way to fax with Windowsxppro service pac2.

Thanks Dennis :)

--
dennis Olden
2 answers Last reply

    To Fax you'll need an analog phone line with dial-up to get a dial tone.
    The two phone jacks on the back of your computer are the dialup modem.. one
    of them will be marked 'phone' and the other marked 'line'..

    Connect the output marked 'line' to a telephone jack via a filter supplied
    by the ISP.. then load the dialup modem drivers if you have not already done
    so.. check in control panel that the dialup modem is showing in the
    configuration, and run the diagnostics to check that it is ok..

    Install your fax software.. the fax software should now detect the dialup
    modem..
    Courtesy of:
    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    --
    Some days you're the windshield,
    some days you're the bug.

    "dennis Olden" wrote:

    > I have Charter as my provider, high speed cable. I would like to be
    > able to fax from my P.C. at home. Now I don't have dial up to put
    > number in as I used to with windows 98. I don't have this service any
    > more, so is there a way to fax with Windowsxppro service pac2.
    >
    > Thanks Dennis :)
    >

    > --
    > dennis Olden

    Unlike most dial-up modems, a broadband modem is not capable
    of connecting to fax machines, so you cannot send or receive faxes
    directly.
    In order to send and receives faxes, you'll need a conventional fax modem
    with a live telephone line attached. You cannot use broadband unless you
    use a web-base fax service, such as eFax:
    http://www2.efax.com/en/efax/twa/page/homePage?rqcp=1

    Or consider purchasing a regular fax machine and connect it to your phone
    line.

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP

    "dennis Olden" wrote:

    | I have Charter as my provider, high speed cable. I would like to be
    | able to fax from my P.C. at home. Now I don't have dial up to put
    | number in as I used to with windows 98. I don't have this service any
    | more, so is there a way to fax with Windowsxppro service pac2.
    |
    | Thanks Dennis :)
    |

    | --
    | dennis Olden

Fax Dial Up Connection Cable Windows XP