Sign in with
Your question

Too much Arctic Silver 3

Last response: in Overclocking
September 24, 2002 5:45:03 AM

Being the newbie that I am when it comes to PC cooling, I squeezed a dab of Arctic Silver 3 right onto the die of my Athlon XP 1700+. To top it off, I did not clean the processor nor the heatsink to make sure any residue of the white paste that I had there before was gone. I just wiped it off a little bit with a cloth instead of alcohol. Then I put the Heatsink and turned on the computer.
Now the Processor is running at 46C idle and gets as hot as 50C when playing Counter-Strike. It used to run at 37C idle, 43C max. Considering that I have now added another intake fan, it is at around 46-50. If the fan was not there it maybe would go as high as 55C or something.
I am guessing that the major error was the wrong installation of the Arctic Silver. Has this happened to anyone before? What temps. would you think I would get if I installed Arctic Silver correctly? I would guess below what I had before(37-43C). Would anyone like to guess what the temps will be when I install it correctly? I will reply with the results when I have time to install the Arctic Silver correctly.

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.

More about : arctic silver

September 24, 2002 12:32:09 PM

If you put too much of any heatsink compound, it start to work against itself. The thick layer insulates the cpu thus slowing the heat transfer to the heatsink. Just curious, why did you go out and spend $6 on a tube of ASIII when your temps were already so low?

"If you sign up for AOL now, we'll give you 1024 hours of slow service and disconnects free of charge"
September 24, 2002 5:38:45 PM

I know I had semi-low temps, but I wanted MORE. Its that greed instinct that takes over you. :)  I was hoping I would lower the temps a little bit because ASIII is supposed to work better than any generic white paste, isnt it?

Signature X__________________________ <-- Sign here please.
Related resources
September 25, 2002 5:01:24 AM

36 is pretty good for air cooling. with a standard heat sink you will NEVER get it down below room temp.

how do you shoot the devil in the back? what happens if you miss? -verbal
September 25, 2002 5:05:16 AM

<b> if it doesn't lock up its fine</b>

50c is perfectly ok.

<b>"True communication is possible only between equals, because inferiors are consistently rewarded for telling their superiors pleasant lies than for telling the truth."</b>
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2003 5:04:38 AM

When it comes to Artic Silver, this is a myth. The viscosity of AS is too low to allow a heavy film to remain under the great pressure of the heatsink clip, ALL excess WILL be squeezed out, even if you put the whole tube on it!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 13, 2003 6:37:06 AM

nonetheless, mixing artic silver and white goo together isn't the best idea, seing as A.S.3 "cures" after time, allowing for a real performance increase.

Have you ever stuck your finger in a Vantec Tornado? That's 5700rpm right there - ouch. Today's public service announcement: don't play with plugged-in fans - especially Tornados..heh.
a b K Overclocking
January 13, 2003 6:55:52 AM

No, not to mix. BTW, I accidently stuck my finger in a 7200RPM fan once, it stopped. After splitting my nail of coarse. Then about 15 seconds later it hurt. Then it started bleeding.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>
January 13, 2003 7:04:48 AM

hehehahaha, sounds like what happened to me... except it then happened (multiple times) with my 120mm (LUCKILY ONLY 1500rpm) fan, which seemed to hurt just as much. One thing I've been wondering, think it would cut a finger off if you stuck it in there the wrong way? I mean common, whats a better marketing strategy for finger-guards than that? hehhe

Have you ever stuck your finger in a Vantec Tornado? That's 5700rpm right there - ouch. Today's public service announcement: don't play with plugged-in fans - especially Tornados..heh.
!