XP Pro; Remote Printer will not print

A computer running Win98 is one of three computer connected to a Linksys
Cable router. A Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer is USB connected to the Win98
computer.

When I was using XP Home on my computer I was able to print to the "shared"
Canon Printer on the Win98 computer..

After I installed XP Pro I cannot print using the Canon although the printer
icon is visible in the Print/Fax window.

I removed the Canon, rebooted my computer and reistalled the printer
connection with no change..

When the Canon is selected as the printer of choice using Word, Excel, or a
pdf file the hour glass appears and after 5 or more minutes the print screen
appears. If PRINT is selected and the program hangs. Eventually a message
appears indicating the program is not reponding.

This same delayed actions takes place if "Properties" are selected on the
Canon Printer Icon.

Any suggetions will be apprecated.

Thanks,

Marv

Did you enable File and Printer Sharing on the XP PC?
--
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"Marv Trott" <marvtrott@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>A computer running Win98 is one of three computer connected to a Linksys
>Cable router. A Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer is USB connected to the Win98
>computer.
>
> When I was using XP Home on my computer I was able to print to the
> "shared" Canon Printer on the Win98 computer..
>
> After I installed XP Pro I cannot print using the Canon although the
> printer icon is visible in the Print/Fax window.
>
> I removed the Canon, rebooted my computer and reistalled the printer
> connection with no change..
>
> When the Canon is selected as the printer of choice using Word, Excel, or
> a pdf file the hour glass appears and after 5 or more minutes the print
> screen appears. If PRINT is selected and the program hangs. Eventually a
> message appears indicating the program is not reponding.
>
> This same delayed actions takes place if "Properties" are selected on the
> Canon Printer Icon.
>
> Any suggetions will be apprecated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marv

Cari,

On the Win 98 PC the Canon Printer is shared. On the XP PC C: is shared. Are
there any other files that need to be shared?

In addition I just shared the Canon printer from the XP PC. It took about 5
minutes before the hour glass changed to an arrow. When I tried to print to
the Canon from the XP PC a message appeared after about one minute "Printer
not responding. Do you want to wait...........?"

I installed the Canon on the third computer which is a HP laptop using XP
PRO. I used the Wizard and selected the Canon Printer. The HP is now able to
print to either the Canon or the Brother MFC 6800 which is usb connected to
the XP PC. The XP PC also prints normally on the MFC6800.

This may give you a clue. When I installed the Canon on the HP it requested
and used the driver from the Canon disk. Before I ask for help I had
uninstalled the Canon from the XP PC and removed the driver from the Server
Properties. When I reinstalled the Canon a driver was automatically
installed by XP. How can I either prevent this from happening or delete the
XP driver and install the Canon driver so I can see if this is the problem?

Thanks,

Marv

> Did you enable File and Printer Sharing on the XP PC?
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Marv Trott" <marvtrott@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>A computer running Win98 is one of three computer connected to a Linksys
>>Cable router. A Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer is USB connected to the Win98
>>computer.
>>
>> When I was using XP Home on my computer I was able to print to the
>> "shared" Canon Printer on the Win98 computer..
>>
>> After I installed XP Pro I cannot print using the Canon although the
>> printer icon is visible in the Print/Fax window.
>>
>> I removed the Canon, rebooted my computer and reistalled the printer
>> connection with no change..
>>
>> When the Canon is selected as the printer of choice using Word, Excel, or
>> a pdf file the hour glass appears and after 5 or more minutes the print
>> screen appears. If PRINT is selected and the program hangs. Eventually a
>> message appears indicating the program is not reponding.
>>
>> This same delayed actions takes place if "Properties" are selected on
>> the Canon Printer Icon.
>>
>> Any suggetions will be apprecated.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marv

Always install the driver software before connecting the printer to the PC
will prevent the second instance that you are reporting.

On the 98 PC, is File & Printer sharing enabled? Can the XP PC see the
files and folders on the 98 PC?

On the XP PC, you should also add the Windows 9x drivers.... go to the
Control Panel, Printers & Faxes, right click on the Printer & choose
Properties... in Sharing, ensure that it is actually shared, then click on
the botton icon... Additional Drivers. Add the drivers for Windows 9x
systems.... if it asks where they are, point it towards your Canon CD.

Just refresh again.... which PCs have printers... and what O/S are they each
running. ie, the XP Home PC has a Canon xxxx and an Brother xxx both
connected to USB ports and the 98 PC has a xxxxxx connected to
xxxxxxxxxxxxx.
--

> Cari,
>
> On the Win 98 PC the Canon Printer is shared. On the XP PC C: is shared.
> Are there any other files that need to be shared?
>
> In addition I just shared the Canon printer from the XP PC. It took about
> 5 minutes before the hour glass changed to an arrow. When I tried to print
> to the Canon from the XP PC a message appeared after about one minute
> "Printer not responding. Do you want to wait...........?"
>
> I installed the Canon on the third computer which is a HP laptop using XP
> PRO. I used the Wizard and selected the Canon Printer. The HP is now able
> to print to either the Canon or the Brother MFC 6800 which is usb
> connected to the XP PC. The XP PC also prints normally on the MFC6800.
>
> This may give you a clue. When I installed the Canon on the HP it
> requested and used the driver from the Canon disk. Before I ask for help I
> had uninstalled the Canon from the XP PC and removed the driver from the
> Server Properties. When I reinstalled the Canon a driver was automatically
> installed by XP. How can I either prevent this from happening or delete
> the XP driver and install the Canon driver so I can see if this is the
> problem?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marv
>
> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>> Did you enable File and Printer Sharing on the XP PC?
>> --
>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>> Printing & Imaging
>>

>> "Marv Trott" <marvtrott@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>>>A computer running Win98 is one of three computer connected to a Linksys
>>>Cable router. A Canon PIXMA ip4000 printer is USB connected to the Win98
>>>computer.
>>>
>>> When I was using XP Home on my computer I was able to print to the
>>> "shared" Canon Printer on the Win98 computer..
>>>
>>> After I installed XP Pro I cannot print using the Canon although the
>>> printer icon is visible in the Print/Fax window.
>>>
>>> I removed the Canon, rebooted my computer and reistalled the printer
>>> connection with no change..
>>>
>>> When the Canon is selected as the printer of choice using Word, Excel,
>>> or a pdf file the hour glass appears and after 5 or more minutes the
>>> print screen appears. If PRINT is selected and the program hangs.
>>> Eventually a message appears indicating the program is not reponding.
>>>
>>> This same delayed actions takes place if "Properties" are selected on
>>> the Canon Printer Icon.
>>>
>>> Any suggetions will be apprecated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>>
>>> Marv

Cari,

The 98 PC, XP Pro PC, and XP Pro HP Laptop are connected to a Cable Router.

Canon is usb connected to 98 PC
Brother MFC is usb connected to XP PC
HP can print on either Canon or Brother
98 PC can print on Canon or Brother

The Canon printed from the XP Home PC until I installed XP Pro.

XP Pro PC can see the Canon Icon on Printer and Faxes page and in Printer
Selection drop window on the Print Setup Page. Clicking on the Canon printer
Icon produces an hour glass and after a period of time the normal print
window opens. When print is selected the window disappears and nothing
happends (Nothing is sent to the print que)

After deleting the Canon from the Printer and Fax page and rebooting the
system I installed the driver from the Canon disk. During the process it ask
to select the printer. The Canon was found at \\Margie\Canon the Lan Manager
Printer Port. This is the name of the 98 PC and the shared name of the
printer. The process was very quick and smooth and the last page said the
printer was connected. But it does not function.

As before the Canon appears to be installed but when Properties is clicked
the Properties window takes 4-5 minutes to open. The other printers it take
5 seconds for the Properties window to appear.

Is there possibly something in the Registry that may be incorrect and should
be deleted before the printer is reinstalled?

Thanks,

Marv

> Always install the driver software before connecting the printer to the PC
> will prevent the second instance that you are reporting.
>
> On the 98 PC, is File & Printer sharing enabled? Can the XP PC see the
> files and folders on the 98 PC?
>
> On the XP PC, you should also add the Windows 9x drivers.... go to the
> Control Panel, Printers & Faxes, right click on the Printer & choose
> Properties... in Sharing, ensure that it is actually shared, then click on
> the botton icon... Additional Drivers. Add the drivers for Windows 9x
> systems.... if it asks where they are, point it towards your Canon CD.
>
> Just refresh again.... which PCs have printers... and what O/S are they
> each running. ie, the XP Home PC has a Canon xxxx and an Brother xxx both
> connected to USB ports and the 98 PC has a xxxxxx connected to
> xxxxxxxxxxxxx.
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "Marv Trott" <marvtrott@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> Cari,
>>
>> On the Win 98 PC the Canon Printer is shared. On the XP PC C: is shared.
>> Are there any other files that need to be shared?
>>
>> In addition I just shared the Canon printer from the XP PC. It took
>> about 5 minutes before the hour glass changed to an arrow. When I tried
>> to print to the Canon from the XP PC a message appeared after about one
>> minute "Printer not responding. Do you want to wait...........?"
>>
>> I installed the Canon on the third computer which is a HP laptop using XP
>> PRO. I used the Wizard and selected the Canon Printer. The HP is now able
>> to print to either the Canon or the Brother MFC 6800 which is usb
>> connected to the XP PC. The XP PC also prints normally on the MFC6800.
>>
>> This may give you a clue. When I installed the Canon on the HP it
>> requested and used the driver from the Canon disk. Before I ask for help
>> I had uninstalled the Canon from the XP PC and removed the driver from
>> the Server Properties. When I reinstalled the Canon a driver was
>> automatically installed by XP. How can I either prevent this from
>> happening or delete the XP driver and install the Canon driver so I can
>> see if this is the problem?
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Marv
>>
>> "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
>>> Did you enable File and Printer Sharing on the XP PC?
>>> --
>>> Cari (MS-MVP)
>>> Printing & Imaging
>>>

>>> "Marv Trott" <marvtrott@earthlink.net> wrote in message

Does the XP Pro PC have additional firewalls (other than the built in one
from SP2) installed? If so, does it have the correct permissions?

On the XP Pro PC, in Windows Explorer, under Tools, Folder Options, View,
scroll right down to the bottom.. is Use Simple File Sharing checked?

Can the XP PC and the 98 PC 'see' the files and folders on the XP Pro PC?

In Windows Explorer, Right click on the C:\ drive and select Properties....
click the Sharing Tab... at the bottom, what are the Windows Firewall
settings? Under the Exceptions tab, is File & Print Sharing checked?
--

> [...]
>>> to print to the Canon from the XP PC a message appeared after about one
>>> minute "Printer not responding. Do you want to wait...........?"
>>>
>>> I installed the Canon on the third computer which is a HP laptop using
>>> XP PRO. I used the Wizard and selected the Canon Printer. The HP is now
>>> able to print to either the Canon or the Brother MFC 6800 which is usb
>>> connected to the XP PC. The XP PC also prints normally on the MFC6800.
>>>
>>> This may give you a clue. When I installed the Canon on the HP it
>>> requested and used the driver from the Canon disk. Before I ask for help
>>> I had uninstalled the Canon from the XP PC and removed the driver from
>>> the Server Properties. When I reinstalled the Canon a driver was
>>> automatically installed by XP. How can I either prevent this from
>>> happening or delete the XP driver and install the Canon driver so I can

Cari,

I indicated the answers below.

I also reinstalled WIN XP PRO on the XP PRO PC yesterday. Nothing Changed.
The problem still exist.

Thanks for your suggestions to locate the source of my problem.

Marv

> [...]
>>> Always install the driver software before connecting the printer to the
>>> PC will prevent the second instance that you are reporting.
>>>
>>> On the 98 PC, is File & Printer sharing enabled? Can the XP PC see the
>>> files and folders on the 98 PC?
>>>
>>> On the XP PC, you should also add the Windows 9x drivers.... go to the
>>> Control Panel, Printers & Faxes, right click on the Printer & choose
>>> Properties... in Sharing, ensure that it is actually shared, then click
>>> on the botton icon... Additional Drivers. Add the drivers for Windows
>>> 9x systems.... if it asks where they are, point it towards your Canon
>>> CD.
>>>
>>> Just refresh again.... which PCs have printers... and what O/S are they
>>> each running. ie, the XP Home PC has a Canon xxxx and an Brother xxx
>>> both connected to USB ports and the 98 PC has a xxxxxx connected to

Cari,

I don't believe what just happened but the problem was corrected after I
installed Word Perfect 12 and Service Pack 1. One of the notes in Service
Pack 1 was about a correction of a problem about printing to a specific
printer when multiple printers are setup. Before SP1 was installed the
printer problem still existed.

Using WP 12 with SP1 installed I was able to print to the Canon from the XP
PRO PC. Now any program can print to the Canon from the XP PRO PC.

It would be very interesting to find out what code in SP1 corrected the
problem for the XP PRO PC printer code.

Thanks for your help.

Marv