Brand new CyberPower PC, runs most other games pretty decently, but..

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
When I play Minecraft, I can go for a good five minutes before the game completely freezes and then thaws for about 1/2 a second before freezing again. I've searched for a while and found that somebody else had this problem, and apparently some people thought some components were overheating.

I've downloaded HWMonitor free, but it doesn't show me anything and I've searched EVERYWHERE with any keywords I could think of and not a single tutorial or walkthrough on how to use it was found.

http://i.imgur.com/FYKYH.png

This is what the program looks like for me, and nobody has managed to tell me how to use it.

Is my computer blocking any usage statistics from being fed to the program? Is Cyberpower incompatible with HWMonitor (not likely, I've looked that up too)? I just don't get it.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Any other games freezing? Try and eliminate if it is the game or the PC that seems to be stuttering...

Run Furmark, Haven- or any 3D benchmark software and see if it also freezes/stutters.

If it is overheating, these apps WILL strain the CPU, GPU and PSU and create heat within a few minutes.

I also suggest to use CPU-Z to get your thermal IC chip make/model and then google a compatible software package that will work to get the thermal readings in windows...

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
No, Minecraft is the only game that freezes, so it can't be the PC.

I tried a complete reinstall of the game, it didn't work, it still froze after 5-7 minutes of play.

A lot of people are having this problem with newly built PCs, and I'd love to find out the solution.

I can try to post my specs if someone can tell me the most efficient way to find them, the System Tools one seems kind of mismatched and confusing.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

Yes, hit the windows key and 'r' together and type "dxdiag"
you can get basic info with this tool preinstalled with windows ^^.

Please post...

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
My specs are:
Windows 7 Home Premuim 64-bit
Processor: Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Graphics Chip: NVIDIA GeForce GT620
DAC Type: Integrated RAMDAC
Approx Total Memory: 4050MB
Monitor: "Generic PnP Monitor", 1920x1080 (32 bit)

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Thanks for finding those common problem fixes and sticky with this for so long, I'm trying the method that allows Minecraft more memory but I'm not sure what to do with the Anything.bat file, just leave it on the desktop?

Also, no, I haven't run a benchmark, I'm relatively new to computing and so I don't quite know which programs are best for that sort of thing.

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012
Thanks for finding those common problem fixes and sticky with this for so long, I'm trying the method that allows Minecraft more memory but I'm not sure what to do with the Anything.bat file, just leave it on the desktop?

Yes, I quickly looked at the fixes again and the anything.bat is what you should run to start Minecraft, all it does basically is start minecraft with a few parameters enabling more allowed memory.

Also, no, I haven't run a benchmark, I'm relatively new to computing and so I don't quite know which programs are best for that sort of thing.

Benchmarking software is a great great way to demonstarte what your computer is capable of. Cinebench, 3DMark 20xx, Heaven DX 11 is some of the popular ones. Have a go...

blakwidowrsa

Honorable
Aug 10, 2012

sorry but I cannot access the image, my ISP blocks certain websites.

Could you type it? (if you want) :hello:

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
Well, I don't really know what to do, I feel like I've just wasted a lot of everyone's time on this all because I want to play one game.

I'm doing some research on the best graphics card for 1920x1080p resolution, so once I get a new card (probably a few months) and it still doesn't work, I'll come back.

I've tried practically everything I can think of and it has to be a hardware issue, so upgrading might be a solution.

Thanks anyways, sorry for wasting your time!

Please do not feel like you have been wasting our time, you haven't. You've helped us understand your problem which is more than some do.

Can you try running minecraft off your igpu, i.e. connect it to the motherboard video outputs and not the card video outputs? or is that what you are already doing?

The reason that I mentioned the gpu weakness is that I thought you wanted more than just minecraft. The GPU built into your processor is not much weaker than the one they charged you for, which to my mind is something they should have told you about.

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
I'd be more then happy to try to run it like that, but I have no idea how. Would you mind explaining just a bit? Sorry, I'm not too good with computer hardware, at all.

Thanks for the info about the GPU, I'll definitely have to take that in mind next time I buy something as major as this. (Hopefully next time I'll have the time to build one instead!)

OK, on the back of your PC (assuming it is a standard tower-type case) there will be a vertical set of sockets and plugs (network/USB etc,) within this set will be ones appropriate for your monitor, either grey (DVI) or Blue (VGA). these are all powered from the motherboard.

lower down the case will be a horizontal set of plugs (probably the same as the grey ones) for providing video from the card.

Which is it plugged into at the moment?

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012

No, sadly, it's not installed.. guess there's no easy answer, is there? :sarcastic:

Goldenblood

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
The vertical port wouldn't work, but I do have two DVI ports on the horizontal as well. Neither helped though; I think the problem is not with the computer, but with Minecraft. The game runs smoothly until I start rendering too much stuff, then it lags and freezes to oblivion.

I played on a flat world for a while and didn't have a problem, but then I switched to a normal world with tons of things to render and after a while it just failed.

I think I won't be playing Minecraft for a while. Thanks for the help, but I'm not sure what else can be done at this point.