fan/hs for ocing 1800+?

cojer

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2002
I'm about to buy an 1800+ and a fan/hs to help me oc, but I'm having difficulties chosing which. I was thinking about the coolermaster HHC-001 but im afraid 62db is too loud. What is the cheapest cooler that will alow me to run my cpu at 2000+ without deafening me?

svol

Champion
I think the Alpha PAL8045 or the Swiftech MCW462 would be nice chooises with a 80mm fan.

*Advertisement*
<b><A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/dewrede/enterstrips.html" target="_new">Geert's Comics</A></b>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I'm using Fannertech/Cidicom (5T208B1H3T) 70mm, works well and can't here it over my 7200rpm HDD. Recommened by AMD, cost $18CDN, and keeps my 1800+@1667MHZ under load a chilly 44C (ambient 25C). Make sure you use some good thermal paste (like artic siver 3) when you mount it (clean both surfaces well first).

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek:

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
you could use a swiftech...those seem to be REALLY good for OCING.
as far as noise is concerned...you are typically going to increase the noise of your computer when you increase the speed of the processor past stock....its just assumed...(that is unless you go all out and swap to watercooling, which is NEAR silent a lot of the times).
get the case air moving good, by adding fans, and making sure you are at least in compliance with AMD's specs for building a system, intake fan bottom front, and exhaust top rear. that way, you know you have some circulation in the case. then, with whatever heatsink you chose, not only are your temps going to be lower, and the life of the processor increased, but (if you chose an overclocking heatsink) your overclocking limit will most likely not be heat. unless of course, you are running it really high voltage, in which case you will have heat problems unless you go swiftech and delta screamer...which you obviously dont want.
but there are some really good heatsinks out there, that will keep that chip cool.
thermalright AX-7 comes to mind...which can be really quiet.
alpha pal 8045 is another favorite
and swiftech mx6462 (there is a new one, i cant remember the number, but looks NICE).
first, get a good heatsink. then a good fan (unless it came with a good one already). then increase the case airflow to refresh the air as fast as possible to keep the air going into the heatsink as close to room temperature as possible.
then, keep your room as cool as possible. ;)
remember, the heatsink can only be as cool as the room temp allows ;)

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

kyledab

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
Have any of you tried the thermaltake volcano 7+ (a1254)?

It's all copper and it seems like it will be the king of cooling... any thoughts?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
heard it wasnt that bad...
saw it and heard it running at Fry's and it isnt that loud either.
personally, i think you can get better than that for cheaper tho. like the thermalright ax-7 or the sk-6? put a nice quiet fan on there, and it should keep the chip within operating temps, and be quiet. the thermalright sk-6 can be had for about $16 (us), and the AX-7 for $28 (us), but that is without fans (but those can be had for rather cheap as well)

-DAvid

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
I use the Volcano 7+.

They just put, inline, a couple of current limiters. Probably just some kind of semiconductors, but I've not really cracked the heat shrink off of there to see what they have.

But they hookup a 3-position switch for you. High, medium, and low. The low is super quiet, the medium is a very good setting with your case panels on, and the high is just slightly less crazy than a 60mm delta. It's a thermaltake 80mm fan blowing on the heatsink, so the heatsink is 80mm x 80mm, which is fairly larger than the 60x60's. More copper can be a good thing if you have good case cooling.

Which I have a pair of sunon 80mm's blowing directly on it right now. So it's working outstanding. But you can get a FOP38, and invert the clip rings to get an 80mm fan on it, and it works excellent as well.

I have to say, I would like to see a lot more manufacturers using 60mm heatsinks, and slapping 80mm fans on them...

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the current limiters are probably resistors. would have to pull the switch setup apart to see...
but i think it is... ;)
and i think it would be better to make high quality 80mm heatsinks with 80mm fans, or 60mm heatsinks with HIGH QUALITY fans that arent very loud...but thats the problem...they cant really make a quiet 60mm fan that can push nearly enough air to keep the air moving across the heatsink ;)

-DAvid

marneus

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I thought the fan was one of the loud ones a 80mm Delta or equivivent to be exact, just it was able to throttled like car gears manually/automatically depending on the heat levels...

I like Alpha 8045, the Volcano 7+ & my own Arkua which sounds loud but i think its around 50-60db...

(note to thouse who dont know, the Volcano 7 is a different HSF from the 7+ ie not as good)

no-one shouts louder than someone who is being ignored, or in the case of techies, to be heard over the noise of their PC's ;-)