please make things clear for me ..

enginekhaled

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2002
a cpu fan has 3 wires , red, yellow , and black ,, how does each wire affect the fan rpm ..and how can i a do a trick to get the max rpm from the cpu fan ??

ps: no big deal if i have to connect the fan directly to the psu ..buy how and will this give me the max rpm ??

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Is it a heat sensoring fan? If so you would have to take that up with the manufacturer.

For fans without temperature sensors...

If it is a three pin fan... get a three pin to four pin adapter and just plug it into one of your spare PSU four pin outlets.

If it is a four pin then just do the second half of the above statement.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>

Bardic

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2001
The fan is probably already running at full speed. the yellow is just the speed sensor, the black is ground, and the red is 12 volts. Unless your motherboard clamps down on the fan speed, which it shouldn't, then the yellow wire is just to see how fast the fan spins, and wouldn't have any effect on controlling the speed of the fan.

You could always try hooking it up to 15 or 18 volts, but not out of the power supply, you would probably have to use like an external plug of some sort, and you'd be much more likely to burn out the fan.

If you want something faster, just buy a new fan (may not fit on the heatsink you have)