Epson Printing Problem

I have 2 Epson Printers...a 1520 and a C84. Today I tried to print on
the 1520 and no black would print. I know about the clean head utility
and ran it but not even a spec of black. So I tried the C84 and the
same thing happened. Both printer would print color, but not black. I
deleted all the drivers for the printers and even deleted the drivers
for the parallel cards (I have 2 parallel cards and tried them both
with no success) and reinstalled them. Still no black. I don't know
what would cause Windows to not print black, but the fact that it
happened to 2 printers on 2 parallel cards on the same day, means that
it's probably not the printers. Any suggestions?

Thanks
6 answers Last reply
More about epson printing problem

    Try the C84 on a USB connection and see if the same problem exists.

    How long has it been since you printed black on either printer? Epson are
    rather prone to ink clogging.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    <digitalcrayon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >I have 2 Epson Printers...a 1520 and a C84. Today I tried to print on
    > the 1520 and no black would print. I know about the clean head utility
    > and ran it but not even a spec of black. So I tried the C84 and the
    > same thing happened. Both printer would print color, but not black. I
    > deleted all the drivers for the printers and even deleted the drivers
    > for the parallel cards (I have 2 parallel cards and tried them both
    > with no success) and reinstalled them. Still no black. I don't know
    > what would cause Windows to not print black, but the fact that it
    > happened to 2 printers on 2 parallel cards on the same day, means that
    > it's probably not the printers. Any suggestions?
    >
    > Thanks

    Most if not all printers have a printer self-test routine available that
    will run through basic printer functions independent of the operating
    system or any software application. Check your printer manuals or the
    manual on-line at the printer maker's web site to see how to cause it to
    run. I suspect you are experiencing a remarkable coincidence of two
    printers either running out of black ink or suffering an ink flow
    problem at the same time,

    Let us know.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

    <digitalcrayon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    :I have 2 Epson Printers...a 1520 and a C84. Today I tried to print on
    : the 1520 and no black would print. I know about the clean head utility
    : and ran it but not even a spec of black. So I tried the C84 and the
    : same thing happened. Both printer would print color, but not black. I
    : deleted all the drivers for the printers and even deleted the drivers
    : for the parallel cards (I have 2 parallel cards and tried them both
    : with no success) and reinstalled them. Still no black. I don't know
    : what would cause Windows to not print black, but the fact that it
    : happened to 2 printers on 2 parallel cards on the same day, means that
    : it's probably not the printers. Any suggestions?
    :
    : Thanks
    :

    Thanks for the good suggestions. I tried the self-test (unplugged from
    the computer) and remarkably they didn't work either. There are 2
    self-test modes on the 1520. The first mode just printed every number
    and letter in order and in multiple colors without stopping. I let it
    print 10 pages before turning it off. The second mode was trying to do
    the same thing, but no ink was printing on the page so I assume that is
    the black ink test. When I tried the test on the C84 it printed 1 page
    without black as well, so it's not the computer and it is the
    printers. Can a power surge or a virus of some kind hit 2 different
    printer models at the same time and cause the same exact problem in
    both? It seems so unlikely. One printer is 5 or more years old and the
    other under a year. I find it impossible to believe that they both
    broke on the same day in exactly the same way by coincidence. They both
    worked just days before.

    OK. Now try running the nozzle-cleaning routine on both printers. You
    might have to run it multi times, Also, check to see if there are
    "Cleaning cartridges" for your printers. (Google search, possibly).
    Also, you might find somewhere instructions for cleaning the nozzles.
    Difficult to recommend any because of the methods or solvents used (I
    saw WD40 used in one method). Failing success, printer servicing might
    be required. Or replacement.

    Tom
    MSMVP
    Windows Shell/User

[...]

    A power surge can certain cause two or more devices to fail. In fact
    anything that is on the same circuit can be destroyed by a surge.

    I recently read a posting by someone who experienced a lightening strike in
    their back yard, very close to their residence. Every electrical appliance,
    including those connected by power surge devices and even those that were
    disconnected at the time of the strike were completely dead afterwards.

    It's at that time when the words 'home insurance' come to mind.
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    <digitalcrayon@gmail.com> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the good suggestions. I tried the self-test (unplugged from
    > the computer) and remarkably they didn't work either. There are 2
    > self-test modes on the 1520. The first mode just printed every number
    > and letter in order and in multiple colors without stopping. I let it
    > print 10 pages before turning it off. The second mode was trying to do
    > the same thing, but no ink was printing on the page so I assume that is
    > the black ink test. When I tried the test on the C84 it printed 1 page
    > without black as well, so it's not the computer and it is the
    > printers. Can a power surge or a virus of some kind hit 2 different
    > printer models at the same time and cause the same exact problem in
    > both? It seems so unlikely. One printer is 5 or more years old and the
    > other under a year. I find it impossible to believe that they both
    > broke on the same day in exactly the same way by coincidence. They both
    > worked just days before.

    Tried everything....no luck. I ordered another 1520 off ebay.

    Thanks for all your help.

Epson Microsoft Printers Windows XP