Dial Problem - 'There is no answer'

July 14, 2005 10:55:13 AM

I installed the Win Xp fax software but am unable to send a fax. Every time
I attempt to send one I get the message 'There is no answer' even though the
modem does not actually dial the number. It starts to, but doesn't even dial
the first number when the message occurs.

At first I thought it was the format I was using for the number but even
when I changed to, what I think is the correct format, I still got the same
message. Here's the format I use for all fax numbers during configuration
and sending:

+1 (555) 555-1212

My modem is a Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631.

What could cause this problem and how can I correct it?

Thanks.
--
Robert

More about : dial problem answer

July 14, 2005 2:49:04 PM

Update to the latest driver for XP if you do not have it.
Creative DI3631 BroadXent DSI V.92 PCI Driver WinXP Download
http://modem.free-driver-download.com/Creative/13132/Cr...
--
Some days you're the windshield,
some days you're the bug.

"rmelone" wrote:

> I installed the Win Xp fax software but am unable to send a fax. Every time
> I attempt to send one I get the message 'There is no answer' even though the
> modem does not actually dial the number. It starts to, but doesn't even dial
> the first number when the message occurs.
>
> At first I thought it was the format I was using for the number but even
> when I changed to, what I think is the correct format, I still got the same
> message. Here's the format I use for all fax numbers during configuration
> and sending:
>
> +1 (555) 555-1212
>
> My modem is a Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631.
>
> What could cause this problem and how can I correct it?
>
> Thanks.
> --
> Robert
July 14, 2005 4:17:05 PM

Thanks for the response.

I went to the site you referenced and downloaded and installed the driver
but I still have the same problem.
--
Robert

"Byte" wrote:

> Update to the latest driver for XP if you do not have it.
> Creative DI3631 BroadXent DSI V.92 PCI Driver WinXP Download
> http://modem.free-driver-download.com/Creative/13132/Cr...
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "rmelone" wrote:
>
> > I installed the Win Xp fax software but am unable to send a fax. Every time
> > I attempt to send one I get the message 'There is no answer' even though the
> > modem does not actually dial the number. It starts to, but doesn't even dial
> > the first number when the message occurs.
> >
> > At first I thought it was the format I was using for the number but even
> > when I changed to, what I think is the correct format, I still got the same
> > message. Here's the format I use for all fax numbers during configuration
> > and sending:
> >
> > +1 (555) 555-1212
> >
> > My modem is a Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631.
> >
> > What could cause this problem and how can I correct it?
> >
> > Thanks.
> > --
> > Robert
Related resources
July 14, 2005 5:19:01 PM

At the same website that I referred you to, also check your connections.
Free Windows PC Diagnostic Tool Auto-Fix Driver Problems Now Online

"rmelone" wrote:

> Thanks for the response.
>
> I went to the site you referenced and downloaded and installed the driver
> but I still have the same problem.
> --
> Robert
>

> "Byte" wrote:
>
> > Update to the latest driver for XP if you do not have it.
> > Creative DI3631 BroadXent DSI V.92 PCI Driver WinXP Download
> > http://modem.free-driver-download.com/Creative/13132/Cr...
> > --
> > Some days you're the windshield,
> > some days you're the bug.
> >

> > "rmelone" wrote:
> >
> > > I installed the Win Xp fax software but am unable to send a fax. Every time
> > > I attempt to send one I get the message 'There is no answer' even though the
> > > modem does not actually dial the number. It starts to, but doesn't even dial
> > > the first number when the message occurs.
> > >
> > > At first I thought it was the format I was using for the number but even
> > > when I changed to, what I think is the correct format, I still got the same
> > > message. Here's the format I use for all fax numbers during configuration
> > > and sending:
> > >
> > > +1 (555) 555-1212
> > >
> > > My modem is a Broadxent DSI V.92 PCI DI3631.
> > >
> > > What could cause this problem and how can I correct it?
> > >
> > > Thanks.
> > > --
> > > Robert
July 14, 2005 7:14:03 PM

I went back to the site you mentioned and clicked on 'Modem Driver Download',
which took me to 'Error Doctor.' If that's what you meant, I downloaded the
program and ran it. There were some errors but I would have to buy the
program in order to fix them and, to be honest, I'm not sure that's where my
problem is.

I have tried at least three other fax programs and have never had the
problem I've been having with the Xp fax software. I went to Xp fax because
the others were free releases with limited use.

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem I'm having.

Thanks for the response.
--
Robert

"Byte" wrote:

> At the same website that I referred you to, also check your connections.
> Free Windows PC Diagnostic Tool Auto-Fix Driver Problems Now Online
> http://modem.free-driver-download.com/Creative/13132/Cr...
> --
> Some days you're the windshield,
> some days you're the bug.
>

> "rmelone" wrote:
>
> > Thanks for the response.
> >
> > I went to the site you referenced and downloaded and installed the driver
> > but I still have the same problem.
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Byte" wrote:
> >
> > > Update to the latest driver for XP if you do not have it.
> > > Creative DI3631 BroadXent DSI V.92 PCI Driver WinXP Download
> > > http://modem.free-driver-download.com/Creative/13132/Cr...
> > > --
> > > Some days you're the windshield,
> > > some days you're the bug.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 3:12:35 PM

rmelone wrote:
> I went back to the site you mentioned and clicked on 'Modem Driver
> Download', which took me to 'Error Doctor.' If that's what you
> meant, I downloaded the program and ran it. There were some errors
> but I would have to buy the program in order to fix them and, to be
> honest, I'm not sure that's where my problem is.
>
> I have tried at least three other fax programs and have never had the
> problem I've been having with the Xp fax software. I went to Xp fax
> because the others were free releases with limited use.
>
> I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem I'm
> having.
>
> Thanks for the response.

Courtesy of Russ Valentine: -

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
July 15, 2005 3:37:03 PM

It sounds like my modem works fine with Windows Xp for connecting to the
Internet but not with Windows Xp Fax software - is that right?

In any event, could someone please give me the link to the Windows Xp
Hardware Compatibility list. I do have the latest drivers for this modem.

Thanks

--
Robert

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> rmelone wrote:
> > I went back to the site you mentioned and clicked on 'Modem Driver
> > Download', which took me to 'Error Doctor.' If that's what you
> > meant, I downloaded the program and ran it. There were some errors
> > but I would have to buy the program in order to fix them and, to be
> > honest, I'm not sure that's where my problem is.
> >
> > I have tried at least three other fax programs and have never had the
> > problem I've been having with the Xp fax software. I went to Xp fax
> > because the others were free releases with limited use.
> >
> > I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem I'm
> > having.
> >
> > Thanks for the response.
>

> Courtesy of Russ Valentine: -
>
> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
> might lie.
>
> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.

Anonymous
July 15, 2005 9:32:01 PM

http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835142

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> It sounds like my modem works fine with Windows Xp for connecting to the
> Internet but not with Windows Xp Fax software - is that right?
>
> In any event, could someone please give me the link to the Windows Xp
> Hardware Compatibility list. I do have the latest drivers for this modem.
>
> Thanks
>
> --
> Robert
>

> "Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:
>
>> rmelone wrote:
>> > I went back to the site you mentioned and clicked on 'Modem Driver
>> > Download', which took me to 'Error Doctor.' If that's what you
>> > meant, I downloaded the program and ran it. There were some errors
>> > but I would have to buy the program in order to fix them and, to be
>> > honest, I'm not sure that's where my problem is.
>> >
>> > I have tried at least three other fax programs and have never had the
>> > problem I've been having with the Xp fax software. I went to Xp fax
>> > because the others were free releases with limited use.
>> >
>> > I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced the same problem I'm
>> > having.
>> >
>> > Thanks for the response.
>>

>> Courtesy of Russ Valentine: -
>>
>> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many
>> common
>> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers
>> claim
>> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not
>> apparent
>> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when
>> you
>> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will
>> answer
>> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
>> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception
>> error."
>> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the
>> problem
>> might lie.
>>
>> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
>> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
>> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
>> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is
>> listed
>> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
>> drivers.

July 16, 2005 4:42:02 PM

I wasn't able to find my modem listed on the Microsoft compatibility list.

Be that as it may, is it possible there's some setup or format error I could
have preventing the fax message to be sent? I don't know if I made myself
clear but the problem is that right after 'send' is selected the modem clicks
as if it wants to start to dial but never does dial the number and I get the
message 'There is no answer' immediately.

I found the following information on another site in reference to the Win Xp
fax program:

'Very Important: Telephone numbers must be in the canonical form in which a
U.S. number would appear as +1 (626) 555-1212. If you use even a slightly
different form such as (626) 555-1212 or 1-626-555-1212, the dialing rules
won't be applied and the fax transmission will fail.'

I did use, what the author says is a valid format (as far as I know), but
still had the same problem.
--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835142
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It sounds like my modem works fine with Windows Xp for connecting to the
> > Internet but not with Windows Xp Fax software - is that right?
> >
> > In any event, could someone please give me the link to the Windows Xp
> > Hardware Compatibility list. I do have the latest drivers for this modem.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > --
> > Robert

> >> Courtesy of Russ Valentine: -
> >>
> >> Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many
> >> common
> >> modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers
> >> claim
> >> they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not
> >> apparent
> >> during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when
> >> you
> >> first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will
> >> answer
> >> an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
> >> messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception
> >> error."
> >> There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the
> >> problem
> >> might lie.
> >>
> >> These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
> >> enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
> >> require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
> >> advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is
> >> listed
> >> on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest
> >> drivers.

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 9:01:51 PM

Doubt it.
Windows XP Fax is not a reliable or robust product. It fails with many
modems.
--
>I wasn't able to find my modem listed on the Microsoft compatibility list.
>
> Be that as it may, is it possible there's some setup or format error I
> could
> have preventing the fax message to be sent? I don't know if I made myself
> clear but the problem is that right after 'send' is selected the modem
> clicks
> as if it wants to start to dial but never does dial the number and I get
> the
> message 'There is no answer' immediately.
>
> I found the following information on another site in reference to the Win
> Xp
> fax program:
>
> 'Very Important: Telephone numbers must be in the canonical form in which
> U.S. number would appear as +1 (626) 555-1212. If you use even a slightly
> different form such as (626) 555-1212 or 1-626-555-1212, the dialing rules
> won't be applied and the fax transmission will fail.'
>
> I did use, what the author says is a valid format (as far as I know), but
> still had the same problem.
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835142
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It sounds like my modem works fine with Windows Xp for connecting to
>> > the
>> > Internet but not with Windows Xp Fax software - is that right?
>> >
>> > In any event, could someone please give me the link to the Windows Xp
>> > Hardware Compatibility list. I do have the latest drivers for this
>> > modem.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> > --
>> > Robert

July 16, 2005 9:01:52 PM

I'd like to thank all those who answered my question.

It looks like I'll have to either buy software (that will work with Win Xp)
or a fax machine. Considering I don't fax that often I'm leaning toward the
software. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.

--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Doubt it.
> Windows XP Fax is not a reliable or robust product. It fails with many
> modems.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I wasn't able to find my modem listed on the Microsoft compatibility list.
> >
> > Be that as it may, is it possible there's some setup or format error I
> > could
> > have preventing the fax message to be sent? I don't know if I made myself
> > clear but the problem is that right after 'send' is selected the modem
> > clicks
> > as if it wants to start to dial but never does dial the number and I get
> > the
> > message 'There is no answer' immediately.
> >
> > I found the following information on another site in reference to the Win
> > Xp
> > fax program:
> >
> > 'Very Important: Telephone numbers must be in the canonical form in which
> > U.S. number would appear as +1 (626) 555-1212. If you use even a slightly
> > different form such as (626) 555-1212 or 1-626-555-1212, the dialing rules
> > won't be applied and the fax transmission will fail.'
> >
> > I did use, what the author says is a valid format (as far as I know), but
> > still had the same problem.
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/FAQFAX.htm#_Toc88835142
> >>
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 16, 2005 10:32:19 PM

You're asking about third party fax software in a newsgroup that only
supports Microsoft's fax products.
At current prices, a compatible modem costs far less than third party fax
software.
--
> I'd like to thank all those who answered my question.
>
> It looks like I'll have to either buy software (that will work with Win
> Xp)
> or a fax machine. Considering I don't fax that often I'm leaning toward
> the
> software. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
>
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Doubt it.
>> Windows XP Fax is not a reliable or robust product. It fails with many
>> modems.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I wasn't able to find my modem listed on the Microsoft compatibility
>> >list.
>> >
>> > Be that as it may, is it possible there's some setup or format error I
>> > could
>> > have preventing the fax message to be sent? I don't know if I made
>> > myself
>> > clear but the problem is that right after 'send' is selected the modem
>> > clicks
>> > as if it wants to start to dial but never does dial the number and I
>> > get
>> > the
>> > message 'There is no answer' immediately.
>> >
>> > I found the following information on another site in reference to the
>> > Win
>> > Xp
>> > fax program:
>> >
>> > 'Very Important: Telephone numbers must be in the canonical form in
>> > which
>> > U.S. number would appear as +1 (626) 555-1212. If you use even a
>> > slightly
>> > different form such as (626) 555-1212 or 1-626-555-1212, the dialing
>> > rules
>> > won't be applied and the fax transmission will fail.'
>> >
>> > I did use, what the author says is a valid format (as far as I know),
>> > but
>> > still had the same problem.
>> > --
>> > Robert

July 17, 2005 6:44:02 PM

It looks like I'm not going to get the Win Xp fax software to work with my
current modem. Could someone please tell me which modem(s) will work with
the Win Xp fax software?

Thanks
--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> You're asking about third party fax software in a newsgroup that only
> supports Microsoft's fax products.
> At current prices, a compatible modem costs far less than third party fax
> software.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > I'd like to thank all those who answered my question.
> >
> > It looks like I'll have to either buy software (that will work with Win
> > Xp)
> > or a fax machine. Considering I don't fax that often I'm leaning toward
> > the
> > software. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
> >
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> Doubt it.
> >> Windows XP Fax is not a reliable or robust product. It fails with many
> >> modems.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 17, 2005 8:48:00 PM

I already did. Did you not read the link I posted?
--
> It looks like I'm not going to get the Win Xp fax software to work with my
> current modem. Could someone please tell me which modem(s) will work with
> the Win Xp fax software?
>
> Thanks
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> You're asking about third party fax software in a newsgroup that only
>> supports Microsoft's fax products.
>> At current prices, a compatible modem costs far less than third party fax
>> software.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > I'd like to thank all those who answered my question.
>> >
>> > It looks like I'll have to either buy software (that will work with Win
>> > Xp)
>> > or a fax machine. Considering I don't fax that often I'm leaning
>> > toward
>> > the
>> > software. If anyone has any suggestions I'd appreciate it.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Robert

July 18, 2005 9:40:03 AM

I believe you're talking about the tested products list you referenced in an
earlier reply.

I looked at the list of analog modems (198) and from what I can see quite a
few of them are chipset manufacturers. What I was looking for was a product
name with a model number that definitely would work with the Win Xp fax
program. If that is there, I'm having a hard time finding it.

Sorry for the trouble but I would hate to buy another modem then find out it
also would not work with Win Xp fax.

Thanks for your help.
--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> I already did. Did you not read the link I posted?
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > It looks like I'm not going to get the Win Xp fax software to work with my
> > current modem. Could someone please tell me which modem(s) will work with
> > the Win Xp fax software?
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> You're asking about third party fax software in a newsgroup that only
> >> supports Microsoft's fax products.
> >> At current prices, a compatible modem costs far less than third party fax
> >> software.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:09:34 PM

Sorry. I haven't the time to do the searching for you. Microsoft is always
moving the furniture. I'm sure you can figure it out.
--
>I believe you're talking about the tested products list you referenced in
>an
> earlier reply.
>
> I looked at the list of analog modems (198) and from what I can see quite
> few of them are chipset manufacturers. What I was looking for was a
> product
> name with a model number that definitely would work with the Win Xp fax
> program. If that is there, I'm having a hard time finding it.
>
> Sorry for the trouble but I would hate to buy another modem then find out
> it
> also would not work with Win Xp fax.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I already did. Did you not read the link I posted?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It looks like I'm not going to get the Win Xp fax software to work with
>> > my
>> > current modem. Could someone please tell me which modem(s) will work
>> > with
>> > the Win Xp fax software?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > Robert

Anonymous
July 18, 2005 10:10:43 PM

Here's what I turn up after a 2 second search.
http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.as...

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I believe you're talking about the tested products list you referenced in
>an
> earlier reply.
>
> I looked at the list of analog modems (198) and from what I can see quite
> few of them are chipset manufacturers. What I was looking for was a
> product
> name with a model number that definitely would work with the Win Xp fax
> program. If that is there, I'm having a hard time finding it.
>
> Sorry for the trouble but I would hate to buy another modem then find out
> it
> also would not work with Win Xp fax.
>
> Thanks for your help.
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> I already did. Did you not read the link I posted?
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > It looks like I'm not going to get the Win Xp fax software to work with
>> > my
>> > current modem. Could someone please tell me which modem(s) will work
>> > with
>> > the Win Xp fax software?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > Robert

July 19, 2005 1:53:01 PM

I'm not sure what you're getting at - is that supposed to be sarcastic
"Sorry. I haven't the time to do the searching for you. Microsoft is always
moving the furniture. I'm sure you can figure it out."

Or is it supposed to be funny? If so, I dont' think so.

I already told you I wasn't that techincally oriented and needed help. I
had already gone to the listing of 198 acceptable modems for Win Xp (the one
where you did the 2-second search - another sarcasm in your follow-up note)
and had a problem interpreting how to relate that list to actual modem
products. That was all I was asking for. If you're not supposed to give
that type of information, just say it - there's no reason to be sarcastic.

I'll just muddle through in my non-technical way.
--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Sorry. I haven't the time to do the searching for you. Microsoft is always
> moving the furniture. I'm sure you can figure it out.
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I believe you're talking about the tested products list you referenced in
> >an
> > earlier reply.
> >
> > I looked at the list of analog modems (198) and from what I can see quite
> > few of them are chipset manufacturers. What I was looking for was a
> > product
> > name with a model number that definitely would work with the Win Xp fax
> > program. If that is there, I'm having a hard time finding it.
> >
> > Sorry for the trouble but I would hate to buy another modem then find out
> > it
> > also would not work with Win Xp fax.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> I already did. Did you not read the link I posted?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 19, 2005 8:51:47 PM

I wasn't being sarcastic. I just don't understand your question or what else
you expected me to do.
The information is all there.
Explain what else you need. Why is a list of 198 modems not sufficient?
--
> I'm not sure what you're getting at - is that supposed to be sarcastic
> "Sorry. I haven't the time to do the searching for you. Microsoft is
> always
> moving the furniture. I'm sure you can figure it out."
>
> Or is it supposed to be funny? If so, I dont' think so.
>
> I already told you I wasn't that techincally oriented and needed help. I
> had already gone to the listing of 198 acceptable modems for Win Xp (the
> one
> where you did the 2-second search - another sarcasm in your follow-up
> note)
> and had a problem interpreting how to relate that list to actual modem
> products. That was all I was asking for. If you're not supposed to give
> that type of information, just say it - there's no reason to be sarcastic.
>
> I'll just muddle through in my non-technical way.
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Sorry. I haven't the time to do the searching for you. Microsoft is
>> always
>> moving the furniture. I'm sure you can figure it out.
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I believe you're talking about the tested products list you referenced
>> >in
>> >an
>> > earlier reply.
>> >
>> > I looked at the list of analog modems (198) and from what I can see
>> > quite
>> > few of them are chipset manufacturers. What I was looking for was a
>> > product
>> > name with a model number that definitely would work with the Win Xp fax
>> > program. If that is there, I'm having a hard time finding it.
>> >
>> > Sorry for the trouble but I would hate to buy another modem then find
>> > out
>> > it
>> > also would not work with Win Xp fax.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> > --
>> > Robert

July 20, 2005 2:44:07 PM

I guess I took your notes the wrong way, must be getting old - sorry.

Anyway to get back to the problem. I bought a new modem yesterday and on
the box it has a logo that reads 'Designed for Microsoft Windows XP Windows
2000.' This particular modem came with a CD that had it's own fax software
which I installed and it works fine.

However, the Microsoft fax software still doesn't work. In fact now I am
unable to preview the fax and when I try to send one it just never does
anything. If I try to resume an old fax the properties will show a scheduled
date and time and when that time passes it just moves up the time another 10
minutes so it's never sent.

I'm thinking I must have some kind of conflict (could be wrong) that might
be causing this. I guess I could just use the fax software that came with
the modem but it's just frustrating that the windows fax software isn't
working (at least in my system.)

By the way, according to the tech support people of the modem I bought, the
chipset is CONEXANT SMART HG. I may have missed it but couldn't find it on
the list of 198 analog modems mentioned earlier.

I don't want to beat a dead horse but if there's something you can think of
to get the software working that I could check on my system let me know; if
not, maybe we should just forget about this for now.

Thanks,

--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Here's what I turn up after a 2 second search.
> http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.as...
>
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> >I believe you're talking about the tested products list you referenced in
> >an
> > earlier reply.
> >
> > I looked at the list of analog modems (198) and from what I can see quite
> > few of them are chipset manufacturers. What I was looking for was a
> > product
> > name with a model number that definitely would work with the Win Xp fax
> > program. If that is there, I'm having a hard time finding it.
> >
> > Sorry for the trouble but I would hate to buy another modem then find out
> > it
> > also would not work with Win Xp fax.
> >
> > Thanks for your help.
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> I already did. Did you not read the link I posted?
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 20, 2005 10:11:34 PM

This is a long story that contains too many gaps for me to piece together.
For example, how did you end up with a failed fax? Is this a fax that failed
with your old modem?
Windows XP Fax should have been uninstalled completely before putting in a
new modem. There should be no remnants from your old installation. You
should only attempt to use Windows XP Fax with a modem on the HCL list.
"Designed for Windows XP" means nothing.
This knot is too snarled for me to unravel.
--
>I guess I took your notes the wrong way, must be getting old - sorry.
>
> Anyway to get back to the problem. I bought a new modem yesterday and on
> the box it has a logo that reads 'Designed for Microsoft Windows XP
> Windows
> 2000.' This particular modem came with a CD that had it's own fax
> software
> which I installed and it works fine.
>
> However, the Microsoft fax software still doesn't work. In fact now I am
> unable to preview the fax and when I try to send one it just never does
> anything. If I try to resume an old fax the properties will show a
> scheduled
> date and time and when that time passes it just moves up the time another
> 10
> minutes so it's never sent.
>
> I'm thinking I must have some kind of conflict (could be wrong) that might
> be causing this. I guess I could just use the fax software that came with
> the modem but it's just frustrating that the windows fax software isn't
> working (at least in my system.)
>
> By the way, according to the tech support people of the modem I bought,
> the
> chipset is CONEXANT SMART HG. I may have missed it but couldn't find it
> on
> the list of 198 analog modems mentioned earlier.
>
> I don't want to beat a dead horse but if there's something you can think
> of
> to get the software working that I could check on my system let me know;
> if
> not, maybe we should just forget about this for now.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> Here's what I turn up after a 2 second search.
>> http://testedproducts.windowsmarketplace.com/results.as...
>>
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> >I believe you're talking about the tested products list you referenced
>> >in
>> >an
>> > earlier reply.
>> >
>> > I looked at the list of analog modems (198) and from what I can see
>> > quite
>> > few of them are chipset manufacturers. What I was looking for was a
>> > product
>> > name with a model number that definitely would work with the Win Xp fax
>> > program. If that is there, I'm having a hard time finding it.
>> >
>> > Sorry for the trouble but I would hate to buy another modem then find
>> > out
>> > it
>> > also would not work with Win Xp fax.
>> >
>> > Thanks for your help.
>> > --
>> > Robert

July 21, 2005 9:19:04 AM

Could you please tell me the correct way to uninstall Win XP fax?

That failed fax I mentioned was one I had previously tried to send which
indicates, as you said, that the fax software wasn't completely removed.

Thanks
--

Anonymous
July 21, 2005 9:01:40 PM

The same place you install it:
Control Panel > Add/Remove
--
> [...]
>> > be causing this. I guess I could just use the fax software that came
>> > with
>> > the modem but it's just frustrating that the windows fax software isn't
>> > working (at least in my system.)
>> >
>> > By the way, according to the tech support people of the modem I bought,
>> > the
>> > chipset is CONEXANT SMART HG. I may have missed it but couldn't find
>> > it
>> > on
>> > the list of 198 analog modems mentioned earlier.
>> >
>> > I don't want to beat a dead horse but if there's something you can
>> > think
>> > of
>> > to get the software working that I could check on my system let me
>> > know;
>> > if
>> > not, maybe we should just forget about this for now.

July 22, 2005 4:26:03 PM

That's what I did. I installed it by using Control Panel > Add/Remove >
Add/Remove Windows Componenets and uninstalled the Windows XP fax software
the same way.

The only problem is when the fax software is reinstalled, after using the
above removal procedure, the old outbox information is still there so that
looks like not all the entries for the software were removed.

I did a search on 'how to uninstall Windows XP fax software' and could only
come up with the same procedure I used - no additional registry actions,
which I've seen had to be done in some cases to fully remove some software.

So unless the Add/Remove Windows Components is not the way to add and remove
windows components I dont know how else to completely remove Windows XP fax.

Thanks,

--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> The same place you install it:
> Control Panel > Add/Remove
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Could you please tell me the correct way to uninstall Win XP fax?
> >
> > That failed fax I mentioned was one I had previously tried to send which
> > indicates, as you said, that the fax software wasn't completely removed.
> >
> > Thanks
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> This is a long story that contains too many gaps for me to piece
> >> together.
> >> For example, how did you end up with a failed fax? Is this a fax that
> >> failed
> >> with your old modem?
> >> Windows XP Fax should have been uninstalled completely before putting in
> >> new modem. There should be no remnants from your old installation. You
> >> should only attempt to use Windows XP Fax with a modem on the HCL list.
> >> "Designed for Windows XP" means nothing.
> >> This knot is too snarled for me to unravel.
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:09:35 PM

Uninstalling software usually does not remove data files. That's by design.
Can't you just delete those folders after the uninstall if you don't want
them?
You can easily access and save these folders from Windows Explorer. The
default location of these folders is:

<drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
NT\MSFax\
--

> That's what I did. I installed it by using Control Panel > Add/Remove >
> Add/Remove Windows Componenets and uninstalled the Windows XP fax software
> the same way.
>
> The only problem is when the fax software is reinstalled, after using the
> above removal procedure, the old outbox information is still there so that
> looks like not all the entries for the software were removed.
>
> I did a search on 'how to uninstall Windows XP fax software' and could
> only
> come up with the same procedure I used - no additional registry actions,
> which I've seen had to be done in some cases to fully remove some
> software.
>
> So unless the Add/Remove Windows Components is not the way to add and
> remove
> windows components I dont know how else to completely remove Windows XP
> fax.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> Robert
>

> "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
>
>> The same place you install it:
>> Control Panel > Add/Remove
>> --
>> Russ Valentine
>> [MVP-Outlook]
>> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> > Could you please tell me the correct way to uninstall Win XP fax?
>> >
>> > That failed fax I mentioned was one I had previously tried to send
>> > which
>> > indicates, as you said, that the fax software wasn't completely
>> > removed.
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> > --
>> > Robert

July 23, 2005 10:39:03 AM

I completely uninstalled Win XP fax doing what you suggested below and then
reinstalled it verifying the old files were no longer there.

I attempted to create and send a fax and the first problem I had was when I
tried to preview the fax and received the message 'The fax preview cannot be
displayed.' I should note my *.tif files are using Windows Picture and Fax
Viewer as the default.

Ignoring that error, I then tried to send the fax but nothing happened -
there wasn't even an attempt to dial and there were no error messages and
nothing ended up in the outbox.

I dont know if the two problems are related but that's where I am right now.

Thanks,
--
Robert

"Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:

> Uninstalling software usually does not remove data files. That's by design.
> Can't you just delete those folders after the uninstall if you don't want
> them?
> You can easily access and save these folders from Windows Explorer. The
> default location of these folders is:
>
> <drive>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Microsoft\Windows
> NT\MSFax\
> --
> Russ Valentine
> [MVP-Outlook]
>
> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > That's what I did. I installed it by using Control Panel > Add/Remove >
> > Add/Remove Windows Componenets and uninstalled the Windows XP fax software
> > the same way.
> >
> > The only problem is when the fax software is reinstalled, after using the
> > above removal procedure, the old outbox information is still there so that
> > looks like not all the entries for the software were removed.
> >
> > I did a search on 'how to uninstall Windows XP fax software' and could
> > only
> > come up with the same procedure I used - no additional registry actions,
> > which I've seen had to be done in some cases to fully remove some
> > software.
> >
> > So unless the Add/Remove Windows Components is not the way to add and
> > remove
> > windows components I dont know how else to completely remove Windows XP
> > fax.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > --
> > Robert
> >

> > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" wrote:
> >
> >> The same place you install it:
> >> Control Panel > Add/Remove
> >> --
> >> Russ Valentine
> >> [MVP-Outlook]
> >> "rmelone" <rmelone@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

Anonymous
July 23, 2005 7:46:29 PM

I see no way the two problems are related.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't this another modem that is not on the
Windows XP HCL list? Had you completely removed the fax service before you
installed this new modem? Did the installation of the fax service run
smoothly with no errors for the new modem?
Do you have anything else installed that would interfere with the fax
service's accessing the modem, like other fax products, other TAPI
applications, or Norton antivirus products?
--

!