Can Not add printers on XP SP1

I have several XP Pro SP1 clients that can see network printers via UNC
\\server\printer, however, they will not install. The error states
something like: the path is invalid or the printer location has moved.
Permission seem to be okay and these work fine on the 2000 pro clients.

Does Bruce Sanderson's article help at all?
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"nbullock" <niel_bullock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>I have several XP Pro SP1 clients that can see network printers via UNC
>\\server\printer, however, they will not install. The error states
>something like: the path is invalid or the printer location has moved.
>Permission seem to be okay and these work fine on the 2000 pro clients.

Yes and no - We run user logon scripts here:

Set WshNetwork = CreateObject("WScript.Network")

WshNetwork.AddWindowsPrinterConnection \\feh-dc\spfehrp_1

I have been thinking that it needs they need to be added to the computer -
so that any user will have them, on a pc. I tested the script from the
article and it only works were the other one works.

The issue is that these PC, although you can browse out and see the printers
via UNCpath, it still comes up with an error that claims that the path may
be wrong.

This is a new location for us.. A new DC and some xp sp1 pcs that were
added to our domain, rather than re-imaged. I have seen comments about
issues with SP1 vs SP2 issue (for XP). But, we have SP1 and SP2's here that
work. I was hoping that it would be a hot fix.

I am going to drive over there with my SP2 CD. I can add the printer to my
laptop and see what happens.

Thanks for the help:)

> Does Bruce Sanderson's article help at all?
> http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/NetPrinterAllUsers.htm
> --
> Cari (MS-MVP)
> Printing & Imaging
>

> "nbullock" <niel_bullock@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>>I have several XP Pro SP1 clients that can see network printers via UNC
>>\\server\printer, however, they will not install. The error states
>>something like: the path is invalid or the printer location has moved.
>>Permission seem to be okay and these work fine on the 2000 pro clients.

This KB article maybe of help also.

Article ID : 307016
Last Review : April 24, 2003
Revision : 1.0