I bought a used madden 12, and the online pass isnt working

Online pass codes are designed by the manufacturers in order to prevent resale of games -- once they are used they are forever tied to the original system they were registered to and are not transferable -- Thus with buying a used game you do not get a working online portion of that game unless you purchase a new code !

From EA :

If I have a used game, how will I know if the access code that came with the game still works?
Your Online Pass code comes with the original retail purchase of the game. If the original consumer of the game did not use the Online Pass code, the second-hand consumer may use that code.

How do I buy online access or get a code if I do not have one or my code has already been used?
If you have purchased a new game, your code is printed on the back of the manual included inside your game packaging. If you have purchased a used game and the code originally included has already been activated, you will need to purchase EA SPORTS Online Pass access from within your game by choosing PURCHASE ONLINE ACCESS from the Code Redemption screen.

Really sad part is the games that require an Online always connection for the single player part as well -- since those can not even be registered used so the used game is not useable at all !! They try to make users think the DRM is to stop Piracy when in actuality it is more to stop the used game market - since the pirates have the DRM cracked either before release or just after - so if that was the actual use for it all companies would have stopped paying for it long ago but it is pretty effective at stopping the resale market so they continue to pay to use it since only having new sales keeps the price higher so they make that money back and then some !

Oct 15, 2012

because you go the game used, you have to get a new online pass. Say thanks to Ea, and their money grabing techniques. same thing happned to me on medal of honor. you just have to buy a new pass :(

Physical media no longer means you own it. PC gamers went through this a long time ago. Welcome to the club.

I had a buddy who had this issue with a game. He ended up paying more for the used game and Online Pass than the game was new. I'd return it and say it isn't working. I think most stored have some sort of return policy, even on used games.