Compaq EP - Max processor with earlier BIOS?

I understand that the Compaq Deskpro 6400 series with the BX440 chipset
motherboard only take up to a 500MHz processor. Does anyone know if
this limit is imposed by the bios? Are there earlier bioses, as on
some Dell systems, where such limitations weren't put in place and
where higher speed processors do work?

In addition to a potential BIOS limitation, the processor voltage(s) supported
by the motherboard may limit the speed of processor to 600MHz, the fastest
100MHz FSB 2.0v Slot 1 processor made by Intel.

I have not had hands on with DeskPro 6400, or tinkered with it much, so I do not
know for sure whether it supports the lower voltage Pentium III processors. But
nearly all of the major name brands shifted from the combination of 440BX and
Slot 1to the Intel 815 chipset and Socket 370 Pentium III CPUs. And they did
little in the initial design to support the lower voltage Slot 1 processors.

Your other choice for an upgrade may be a fairly expensive (~$100) PowerLeap
kit. Check the PowerLeap web site for customers' experience with your model of
computer. PowerLeap makes decent products... Ben Myers

On 9 Mar 2005 06:34:51 -0800, peterfelgate@hotmail.com wrote:

>I understand that the Compaq Deskpro 6400 series with the BX440 chipset
>motherboard only take up to a 500MHz processor. Does anyone know if
>this limit is imposed by the bios? Are there earlier bioses, as on
>some Dell systems, where such limitations weren't put in place and
>where higher speed processors do work?

OK, I incorrectly believed these machines to be of a vintage with VRMs
that supported down to 1.8 volts; that's obviously the problem.

Thanks.

Ben Myers wrote:
> In addition to a potential BIOS limitation, the processor voltage(s)
supported
> by the motherboard may limit the speed of processor to 600MHz, the
fastest
> 100MHz FSB 2.0v Slot 1 processor made by Intel.
>
> I have not had hands on with DeskPro 6400, or tinkered with it much,
so I do not
> know for sure whether it supports the lower voltage Pentium III
processors. But
> nearly all of the major name brands shifted from the combination of
440BX and
> Slot 1to the Intel 815 chipset and Socket 370 Pentium III CPUs. And
they did
> little in the initial design to support the lower voltage Slot 1
processors.

> Your other choice for an upgrade may be a fairly expensive (~$100)
PowerLeap
> kit. Check the PowerLeap web site for customers' experience with
your model of
> computer. PowerLeap makes decent products... Ben Myers
>
> On 9 Mar 2005 06:34:51 -0800, peterfelgate@hotmail.com wrote:
>
> >I understand that the Compaq Deskpro 6400 series with the BX440
chipset
> >motherboard only take up to a 500MHz processor. Does anyone know if
> >this limit is imposed by the bios? Are there earlier bioses, as on
> >some Dell systems, where such limitations weren't put in place and
> >where higher speed processors do work?

TRENDING THREADS