CPU fan VS Exhaust fan

zazoo

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2001
I don't know if this will make sense but i'll do what i can. First off it's a 1.7gz P4. I'm using the stock fan on the cpu, and recently bought a case exhaust fan for the housing. The exhaust fan turns at 3800rpm (rated) and the cpu fan adjusts based on cpu internal temperature (supposedly). If i were to watch my temperature monitor, when i have the case fan off, the cpu fan usually turns at about 3000 give or take, and the cpu is around 60-65C. If i turn on the case fan, the cpu fan slows immedately to 2800rpm (its minimum speed) regardless of the cpu temp. This is a particular concern in cases where the cpu is at 71C and the damn fan is still only running at 2800rpm. It seems that if the exhaust fan is running, the cpu fan slows down. has anyone seen this before? or know what i might do to resolve this problem? btw.. there is no dependance between the case and cpu fans. the case fan is plugged directly into 120v current, and does not attach anywhere to the mobo, therefore no interaction.
thanks!

Zazoo.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
If I had a thermal fan that was pissing me off like that, I'd take a pair of pliers and rip out the sensor. Then just short the leads, and hook up a $6 rheostat from Wally World.

I've thought about hooking up a 120v fan, and just paralleling the cord on the psu, but i've just never gotten around to it.

Is it fairly quiet?

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
What kind of components are you running and what is the wattage of your PSU? (Power Supply)

This could account for a decrease in the speed of the fan...

Again I said could...

It most likely is the fact that the CPU runs cooler when the exhaust fan is expelling the warmer air.

<b>"If I melt dry ice in a bathtub, can I take a bath without getting wet?" - Steven Wright</b>