MS XP Pro won't boot for OCing

datajunkie

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2002
Hi guys,
I unlocked my new XP 1800 awhile ago when I built it and just now decided to do some OCing. First I underclocked it to 1Mhz and tried booting up...No problems, MB posted and XP booted up fine. Then I tried the lowering the multiplier to ten and increasing the FSB to 166. The MB posted fine and XP started the boot process, however just before giving me a logon screen my system rebooted without loading XP. WTF! I tried various other multiplier, FSB, Vcore settings and still could not get XP to boot. It just keeps on restarting without loading XP. Here's my system specs:

AMD XP 1800 unlocked
Asus A7V333R Bios Ver. 8 (I think that the right BIOS)
768 MB true DDR333 Samsung memory
WD 80 GB w/8MB cache HD
Gainward Ge4 Ti4200w/128MB RAM
Thermalright AX-7 HS w/Vantec Tornado Fan

I think that MS XP may put a Max limit on the CPU speed in the Hardware config., but Im not sure.

Please Help guys. My system otherwise is very stable with no problems.

Show me the Data. No ticket, No laundry!

tenkawa25

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2002
When you overclock what is your cpu:dram ratio 1:1? What about your agp/pci bus are those locked or are they getting overclocked as well? Just a thought!

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Yeah, you'll need a 5 divisor to do 166mhz. That 333 board should have it, but it could be a jumper, or "renamed" in the bios.

Rather than actually calling the damn thing a "divisor", they give you a fsb switch that locks out your choices between 100-132, 133-165, 166-200.

3,4,5. Same thing, just much more useful.

P4's @ 3600Mhz ()wNz J00 4LL!!!!!!

svol

Champion
Could be that your components are running out of power. How much watt is you PSU?
Also check if you're memory timings aren't extremely aggrasive.

*Advertisement*
<b><A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/dewrede/enterstrips.html" target="_new">Geert's Comics</A></b>