Ax7, advantage of higher CFMs?

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'm familiar that copper based heatsinks require a higher RPM, hence more CFM's to extract the heat from the fins. In the same regard, a lower RPM fan generally has very poor performance on a copper based heatsink, even lower than some higher quality aluminum heatsinks with similar fans. I'm debating over the fan i'm using for my Ax7.

Currently i'm using some basic Coolermaster 80mm case fan, about 2500 rpms, almost inperceptible noise, and roughly 34 cfms. Cools an 1800+ well using As3, only about 34-38 celsius from base to under load. Planning on upgrading to a Vantec Tornado 80mm fan with 84.1 cfms, more than double the airflow. To kill the noise, i'm going to use a rheostat mod, and make a voltage regulator from 5 to 12 volts. Should work out nicely, depending on the cooling I need. My question is, how much of a gain in heat will I see beyond the temps i'm getting now. I doubt the extra airflow will help much, the heatsink already has a high efficiency with low airflow.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

Rynthar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
Heh, well, as a followup to what you said on my post, you dont really need the 84CFM if you are using all that noise and have to spend all that money. The only reason why I was gonna use a 74CFM fan was because it was sooo quiet. AX-7 as it says on the site, is a AlCu combo. Therefore, a high RPM/CFM is not required..might help...but ya dont need it. So let me try to help you out because it turns out you are pretty much in the same situation as me with same comp specs.

I have been researching fans/heatsinks for a week now, not realizing how much of a decision it would take to choose one. After debating, I chose AX-7, but the next step was the fan. At first I was debating on Zalman 3100GP (http://www.zalman.co.kr/english/product/cnps3100GP.htm). I liked it because it enables you to have up to 3 fans around the motherboard/VGA/CPU; including 92mm and 120mm fans.

After realizing how much of a pain in the ass and punch in the wallet it would be to install it, I scraped that idea and went back to an old favorite. Aluminum fans are one the best choices at the moment. This 80mm aluminum fan (http://www.xoxide.com/80alcasfan.html) cools 33 CFM at only 25 dba!! Not only that, the aluminum build will lower the temps 2-3 degrees celsius making a nice cool CPU.

victorchew

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2002
The Aluminium fan looks cool and great. How is the combination with the Cooler Master HHC-001 heatsink with this fan? The Cooler Master is 60mm one.

regards,
victor