event 6161 - Domain Users Cannot Print

Situation... Windows 2000 Domain... two print servers (one a W2K
workstation, the other a W2K server). The problematic printer is a
brand new HP Color LaserJet 5550DN.

Print jobs sent to the workstation print fine. But Domain User's can't
print to the W2K Server. Since Domain Admins can print to the W2K
server, it seems to be a permissions issue, but not sure where to go.

I found one post that said to add Domain User permissions to the
\\winnt\system32\spool folder, but that has not resolved the issue.

Here are the details in the event log... "The document Test Page owned
by xxxxxxx failed to print on printer HP Color LaserJet 5550DN PCL 6.
Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 82396. Number
of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number
of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\172.16.1.127. Win32 error code
returned by the print processor: 126."

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Did you try Bruce Sanderson's article at:
Cari (MS-MVP)
Printing & Imaging

"freshtracks" <freshtracks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Situation... Windows 2000 Domain... two print servers (one a W2K
> workstation, the other a W2K server). The problematic printer is a
> brand new HP Color LaserJet 5550DN.
>
> Print jobs sent to the workstation print fine. But Domain User's can't
> print to the W2K Server. Since Domain Admins can print to the W2K
> server, it seems to be a permissions issue, but not sure where to go.
>
> I found one post that said to add Domain User permissions to the
> \\winnt\system32\spool folder, but that has not resolved the issue.
>
> Here are the details in the event log... "The document Test Page owned
> by xxxxxxx failed to print on printer HP Color LaserJet 5550DN PCL 6.
> Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 82396. Number
> of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number
> of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\172.16.1.127. Win32 error code
> returned by the print processor: 126."
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the tip... unfortunately the same result occured... domain
users are unable to print... and the event 6161 occurs on the print
server.

It seems like it has to be a permissions issue. But it's not an option
for me to give the users full control of the system32 folder.

Any other ideas?

Something for the driver is missing
error 126
126 ERROR_MOD_NOT_FOUND <--> 0xc0000135 STATUS_DLL_NOT_FOUND

--
Alan Morris
Windows Printing Team

"freshtracks" <freshtracks@gmail.com> wrote in message
> Situation... Windows 2000 Domain... two print servers (one a W2K
> workstation, the other a W2K server). The problematic printer is a
> brand new HP Color LaserJet 5550DN.
>
> Print jobs sent to the workstation print fine. But Domain User's can't
> print to the W2K Server. Since Domain Admins can print to the W2K
> server, it seems to be a permissions issue, but not sure where to go.
>
> I found one post that said to add Domain User permissions to the
> \\winnt\system32\spool folder, but that has not resolved the issue.
>
> Here are the details in the event log... "The document Test Page owned
> by xxxxxxx failed to print on printer HP Color LaserJet 5550DN PCL 6.
> Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 82396. Number
> of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number
> of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\172.16.1.127. Win32 error code
> returned by the print processor: 126."
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance!

Alan, I'm not following you... I'm not receiving error 126. Were you
replying to another post?

-freshtracks

The print processor returns error 126. Thus the failure from the spoller
6161

> Alan, I'm not following you... I'm not receiving error 126. Were you
> replying to another post?
>
> -freshtracks

mwilsonkim

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I had the same problem (twice actually, but was able to solve it by following the instructions of a thread at http://www.pcreview.co.uk/forums/thread-1568855.php, plus another thing.
Basic Gist:

(assuming the computer with the printer attached is registered in the domain and you can print from locally from that computer, and the printer is added to the active directory.)

1. Make sure on the local computer that the permissions are correct for the printer, and also the spool directory (windows/system32/spool). For me, I'd have thought that the permissions would include domain users, etc since the computer was in the domain, but they were there. So i added them, and then made sure all the files in the underlying directories were the same permission.

2. After saving the permissions, I was able to add the printer for more user from the active directory (domain user, not domain admin). But then for some reason I couldn't add more. (ARG!)

3. After playing with it more, I tried restarting the print spooler service on the local machine (run-->services.msc-->print Spooler (restart)).

4. After that I was able to add all the other users.

I suppose that after changing the permissions, i could have restarted the machine and that would have worked too. Since I haven't had this permission problem occur in all my implementations, I'm guessing that the way I added the computer to the domain didn't do everything it was supposed to (I think i just went to My Computer (properties), and joined the domain there... but not sure).

Anyhoo, after that, i've had no problem accessing the printer. Good luck all!

Michael Kim
IT
http://www.pools.com/index_above_ground_pools.html