Some DVDs Won't play

I have 2 Compaq computers (desktop & laptop) the DVD players usually work
fine. Occasionally when I try & play a DVD I get an error message saying no
compatible DVD player is found. It does it on either machine but plays fine
on a stand alone DVD player. Some main stream movies have done this. Are
there different formats? Is there anything I can do about it?

--

Thanks in advance... Bob
1 answer Last reply

    "Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
    >I have 2 Compaq computers (desktop & laptop) the DVD players usually work
    > fine. Occasionally when I try & play a DVD I get an error message saying
    > no
    > compatible DVD player is found. It does it on either machine but plays
    > fine
    > on a stand alone DVD player. Some main stream movies have done this. Are
    > there different formats? Is there anything I can do about it?

    There are +R and -R DVD formats. Some DVD players will only accept one of
    them, not both. I suppose the options would be to get a different DVD player
    or only use compatible DVD disks. Or I suppose if you have a DVD burner, you
    might copy the incompatible DVD disk onto a new DVD disk in a compatible
    format.

    Another possibility is the new double-layer DVD format, and I really don't
    know what it's compatible with.
    --
    skydiver
    (this space intentionally left blank)