Some DVDs Won't play

I have 2 Compaq computers (desktop & laptop) the DVD players usually work
fine. Occasionally when I try & play a DVD I get an error message saying no
compatible DVD player is found. It does it on either machine but plays fine
on a stand alone DVD player. Some main stream movies have done this. Are
there different formats? Is there anything I can do about it?

--

Thanks in advance... Bob

SkyDiver

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2002

"Bob Newman" <bob.newman@cox.net> wrote in message
>I have 2 Compaq computers (desktop & laptop) the DVD players usually work
> fine. Occasionally when I try & play a DVD I get an error message saying
> no
> compatible DVD player is found. It does it on either machine but plays
> fine
> on a stand alone DVD player. Some main stream movies have done this. Are
> there different formats? Is there anything I can do about it?

There are +R and -R DVD formats. Some DVD players will only accept one of
them, not both. I suppose the options would be to get a different DVD player
or only use compatible DVD disks. Or I suppose if you have a DVD burner, you
might copy the incompatible DVD disk onto a new DVD disk in a compatible
format.

Another possibility is the new double-layer DVD format, and I really don't
know what it's compatible with.
--
skydiver
(this space intentionally left blank)