Unable to fax with Microsoft Fax

July 19, 2005 6:46:32 AM

I have this problem where I was not able to send or receive using Microsoft
Fax (for WinXP and 2000). I'm using a GPRS modem which I have got working for
other fax softwares like Symantec and MightyFax.

I was able to establish a connection but was not able to send or receive. I
can hear the ringing sound from the remote fax machine I was dialing but no
fax was received there. Error message is "An error occurred while
sending/receiving fax".

For Win2000, I was only able to send but even then, the fax was not clear.
Help appreciated. Thanks.
Anonymous
July 19, 2005 6:23:36 PM

Vince via WindowsKB.com wrote:
> I have this problem where I was not able to send or receive using
> Microsoft Fax (for WinXP and 2000). I'm using a GPRS modem which I
> have got working for other fax softwares like Symantec and MightyFax.
>
> I was able to establish a connection but was not able to send or
> receive. I can hear the ringing sound from the remote fax machine I
> was dialing but no fax was received there. Error message is "An error
> occurred while sending/receiving fax".
>
> For Win2000, I was only able to send but even then, the fax was not
> clear. Help appreciated. Thanks.

Courtesy of Russ Valentine: -

Unfortunately, Windows XP Fax has proven to be incompatible with many common
modems and drivers, particularly older ones, even if the manufacturers claim
they are "compatible" with Windows XP. Modem incompatibility is not apparent
during installation or the initial setup. It only becomes apparent when you
first try to send or receive a fax. The Fax Service will dial or will answer
an incoming fax but then fail with any of a number of unhelpful error
messages such as "Line is busy," "There is no answer," or "Reception error."
There will be nothing in Event Viewer to give a clue as to where the problem
might lie.

These errors have been nearly impossible to track down. To do so requires
enabling both PSS and debug logging of fax transmissions, both of which
require fairly extensive registry changes. For the time being, the best
advice is to attempt to use XP Fax only if you have a modem that is listed
on the Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List and using the latest drivers.
July 19, 2005 6:23:37 PM

As a nrt cop you can find your own words with no problem, yet as a helpful
peer to help others you can not. Interesting. Says a lot.
IFC.

!