Sign in with
Your question

Advice for new PC gamer

Last response: in Video Games
October 1, 2012 3:31:41 PM

Hello everyone, I recently built myself a gaming rig and want to get the most out of it.
The problem is, I am so bad at FPS games like BF3 with using a keyboard and mouse :??: 

I have been a console player since childhood so gamepads feel natural for me. I played BFBC2 and BF3 on my Xbox before it was fried by lightning recently :( 

does anyone have some advice/tips in order to feel comfortable with K/M? Is it just a matter of getting use to it?

And how much does a gaming mouse really help with gaming, aside from all the programmable buttons?

At the moment I'm using a Sidewinder x4 keyboard and a Sidewinder x3 mouse. The mouse is ok but I am looking into getting one with adjustable weights; I tend to over-aim since the mouse is so light... Spray and Pray :pt1cable: 
I'm looking at the RAT 7 or the G9x right now.

Any help is appreciated!

More about : advice gamer

October 1, 2012 3:52:46 PM

Lower your mouse sensitivity in the game options. Personally I don't rate overly expensive mice, you'll see more improvement in FPS games just by putting in the hours.
October 2, 2012 12:12:08 AM

You can always attach a usb xbox360 controller too if you are comfortable with a gamepad. I like to use those for racing games and flight sims. I use a trackball for everything else(logitech m570). And what Noise said about turning down the mouse sensitivity, perhaps both in game and at the os level.
Related resources
October 2, 2012 3:18:30 AM

I tried connecting a wired usb xbox 360 controller but it is really hard to aim in fps multiplayer. I do use it for action single-player games like Sleeping Dogs.

I've been playing a bit more and I think I'm getting the hang of it a bit more, though I did much better on the 360...
October 2, 2012 4:39:32 AM

just hang in there you will get it.
October 2, 2012 5:36:39 AM

You'll get use to it. Ex-F.E.A.R. Multiplayer Player, but still do the SP part of the series. I was the master of the keyboard and mouse, dominating everyone with a basic wireless mouse and keyboard. But then I started to play console games more and more with World of Warcraft when my girlfriend left me. Broke my heart, and didn't touch the mouse and keyboard for gaming after I left WoW to get my life back. Went back in last year with Battlefield: Bad Company 2 and I must say, it was akward and hard for me but by the time I gotten Battlefield 3 for PC, I was once again the Master and dominating players best as I can. The game mouse I have now actually improves it, and feels better in my hand than Logitech G300 (A bit smaller than my basic wireless mouse) but the Razer Abyssus (I broke down and gotten a used one with the Lycosa for $60 from a friend who owns a local shop) and feels better in my hand. Nostromo is big for my hands but I'm getting use to it like I am with my new gear. Practice and practice, and stay with the basics until your truly ready for a game mouse. Once your ready, then you don't need a controller. Once you master the PC, then you have mastered your XBOX 360 and can play both without it feeling akaward. Hoped this help you and have fun gaming! <3
a b 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 11:49:13 AM

Like they say, practice! Using a gamepad for shooters is a handicap - if you can play well with one, practice will make you even better with a keyboard and mouse. As for gaming mice, I use a Sidewinder X8 and it's no better for gaming than my old Intellimouse Explorer Platinum. It's down to the player, not the input devices.
October 2, 2012 12:43:16 PM

Did you turn auto aim on when using your xbox pad? im playing BL2 with mine and its just like xbox but uber graphics :¬)
October 2, 2012 4:07:44 PM

Thanks for the input guys, it really helps! I'll just have to keep practicing with the keyboard and mouse. The mouse I'm using has two programmable buttons on each side. I'm using the crouch function for one, that has helped. What other keys do you all assign to the mouse?

As for auto-aim, it works in single-player but not multiplayer, at least with BF3. And there is no option to turn it on.
a b 4 Gaming
October 2, 2012 6:34:39 PM

chetorch said:
Thanks for the input guys, it really helps! I'll just have to keep practicing with the keyboard and mouse. The mouse I'm using has two programmable buttons on each side. I'm using the crouch function for one, that has helped. What other keys do you all assign to the mouse?

As for auto-aim, it works in single-player but not multiplayer, at least with BF3. And there is no option to turn it on.

I typically put crouch and sprint on my thumb buttons. I use an MS Sidewinder x8. While an expensive mouse isn't necessary, a bad one can be detrimental.
October 2, 2012 8:55:52 PM

Thanks, I'll try sprint on the left side button. The sidewinder x3 I have has two side buttons.
With bf3, I feel like I need another one to drop supplies easier. I always have to look down and see which keyboard button I'm pressing....
October 3, 2012 2:07:10 AM

chetorch said:
Thanks, I'll try sprint on the left side button. The sidewinder x3 I have has two side buttons.
With bf3, I feel like I need another one to drop supplies easier. I always have to look down and see which keyboard button I'm pressing....

if your using a older keyboard you dont care too much about try a drop of hot glue on a few buttons. that helped me out
October 3, 2012 2:54:50 AM

That actually sounds like an awesome idea! I just bought a Sidewinder x4 backlit keyboard, don't want to deface it just yet ;) 

I tried putting the sprint action on my mouse but the button on the thumb side is to far! I think the mouse might just be a bit too big for me. But it does help just leaving your fingers on the WASD keys!
a b 4 Gaming
October 3, 2012 3:21:25 AM

You could buy a left handed controller, like the G13 or Nostromo n52
October 3, 2012 4:56:36 AM

once again i have to recommend razer naga. all keys are programable to do whatever. another small tip there. and the naga is what gave me the idea for glue dots because when you buy the mouse it comes with adhesive tabs shaped like it came out a glue gun. thats what i actually put on my keys, but i dont think hot slightly melted rubber would hurt any keyboard. you could use a little ridge of electrical tape even, it all works. just use kb+m, every game works with it, if not play another game for a month. a patch or driver will be out
October 3, 2012 8:42:07 AM

chetorch said:

Fair point matey, i dont player multiplayer FPS much :D 
a b 4 Gaming
October 3, 2012 8:47:03 AM

Apart of what everyone said (Practice), id also suggest you go for a specific sort of mice. It would be also nice to have at least 2 side buttons for things like grenades or knife swings.
Let me explain: I am an RTS player, so i need a light, small mice. Since i play for several hours at a time, i require a mice that wont get me tired, and that wont have what i call "Inertia effect" (wich is when the weight of the mice will keep it going a bit after any force in that direction is applied).
Also i need a mice that has a very fast recoil on the buttons so i can select things with high speed, so any buttons that have a long recoil are bad for me.

In FPS games i think you need a mid weight and mid to large size mice. Dosent have to be expensive, but should be at least laser sensor, and it should fit your hand. Id also suggest to stay away from wireless mices, as they have a lag and may not register all moves even if the battery is full.

In the Keyboard Department, i use a G15 Logitech, that i wash in the wash machine, each year, but im planning to get a steelseries mechanical keyboard, since it also has a faster recoil and gets you tired less.

I have no idea at all what are the best keyboards for FPS unfortunatelly, but you probably dont want mechanical since those are for fast tapping, and FPS is more used normally for holding down keys (like the WSAD keys).
a b 4 Gaming
October 3, 2012 9:55:22 AM

Don't worry too much about weights and stuff or you'll forget how to just play ;-) I put reload and melee on my thumb buttons, works nicely. I hadn't thought of crouch though - I use C for that (easily accessible from WASD on my left thumb) but no reason why I couldn't use R for reload and thumb button for crouch... could also bind it to throw grenades, since the G key is inconveniently by the F key which is often used in games (like Borderlands, F for action skill or G for grenades, often hit the wrong one).
October 3, 2012 2:57:20 PM

Go for a mouse that best suites you. For me personally, low DPI, lightweight and U shaped frame is best for me. I am getting used to my new Kova+'s frame. I use the side buttons as inventory slot change, so I can switch between secondary, frag, etc at my fingertips, without having to take my hands off the WASD keys. I would give you more tips but I don't want to give out my secrets that help me "pwn teh n00bs" >:) .

Most games allow you to use an Xbox 360 controller. Although I too have been using my Xbox controller for 3-4 years, the only thing I miss about it is the right trigger which makes you feel like you're pulling a trigger on a gun. Other than that mouses are x10 more accurate and responsive, so I recommend getting used to a mouse unless you don't mind getting "pwned".
Anonymous
a b 4 Gaming
October 3, 2012 3:50:25 PM

Hi there, yeah like everyone said it just takes practice, but you'll be surprised how quickly you'll become good at it once you've found the most comfortable settings for the game you're playing.

I have the G9x and it's really comfortable to use but like others have already said it's mainly down to player skill at the end of the day.

Practice first on single player games or on Team Fortress 2 against the bots, then when you feel comfortable start upping the difficulty bit by bit until you feel ready for the real deal. The F.E.A.R games are a good place to start but if you play them at night using a headset be sure to have some spare pants handy. :) 
October 3, 2012 10:33:28 PM

Great tips! It seems I've got lots of options, I guess it's a trial an error thing now! I do feel my mouse is a bit too light though. I tend to overshoot but if I bring the sensitivity too low I can't maneuver as well :/ 

I'll be looking into the mmo style mice. Even though I play mostly fps games, itd be nice to have most programmable actions on the mouse I think..
October 4, 2012 2:35:23 AM

Mouse and keyboard does take some getting used to. If you have trouble aiming lower or raise sensitivity till it feels right. Also try playing with vsync turned off, vsync creates a lot of input lag.
October 4, 2012 3:55:50 AM

chetorch said:
Great tips! It seems I've got lots of options, I guess it's a trial an error thing now! I do feel my mouse is a bit too light though. I tend to overshoot but if I bring the sensitivity too low I can't maneuver as well :/ 

I'll be looking into the mmo style mice. Even though I play mostly fps games, itd be nice to have most programmable actions on the mouse I think..

If you're literally just starting PC gaming as in this month, and never got a chance to get used to any style of mice, then it doesn't matter what mouse you get, you're going to have problems. I'd say it takes a good year to get used to a mouse, so just find one you like aesthetically and use it for a year and you'll be perfect with it in no time. If you've already done some PC gaming beforehand then you should already know what style shape and weight of mouse you like.

With a light mouse, low DPI works best. You will be able to jerk your mouse around very quickly due to it's light weight, which will make up for the low DPI. When you jerk your mouse to a corner of your mousepad, always readjust your mouse to the center very quickly. Your wrist should always be in the center of the mouspad at the edge. You should get used to this in no time. It kind of looks like you're brushing your mousepad with your mouse. Some people get huge mousepads and slide their mouse around without readjusting as much however most professional gamers I know use the method I explained.
October 4, 2012 9:09:46 PM

Thanks for the tips technoobguy!

I've been doing alot better lately :D 
I guess practice really helps.
October 5, 2012 1:55:10 PM

Good to see you're doing better :D .
October 6, 2012 8:26:40 AM

You need to realize there's more to that kind of transition than just a different device. Much of getting used to it is becoming accustomed to sliding a device across a pad vs holding one free hand.

If you're overshooting your aim a lot, lowering sensitivity is one way to keep it under control. You can also somewhat steady yourself just by using a wrist rest though. I have a heavy duty office desk I bought used at Boeing Surplus that came with a very good industrial grade steel pullout tray with wrist rest. Between having my forearm on the arms of my task chair and wrist on the rest of the pullout tray, my mousing movements stay controlled without fatigue.

What's the first thing they teach you at a shooting range? They tell you what position to get in and to squeeze the trigger with a relaxed vs nervous pull. Gaming is much the same. You have to be comfortable and relaxed to do well at it.

I imagine a lot of players that try to transition from console and gamepad to PC and KB/M end up feeling nervous at a desk vs being relaxed on a couch. So you have to accommodate yourself to compensate for that.
October 11, 2012 10:35:58 PM

Thanks for the tip frag, its true that it takes time to switchover to the kb/m... I was a bit twitchy at first!

So, I decided to buy a Razer DeathAdder, the black one, and realized that I like my cheap Sidewinder x3 much more! While I gave the DeathAdder a couple of day/hours of play time, the x3 just felt "better" in my hand :/ 

*edit - And for some reason, the deathadder felt jerky in BF3, no matter what settings I tried...

I'll be looking out for a Sidewinder x5 these next couple of days...
October 12, 2012 1:42:29 AM

Detach yourself from the controller for now. The more time you spend with a mouse and keyboard the more comfortable you will be. Now some more casual games are great with a controller because it has more precision in most platformers and other similar games.

Sensitivity is all preference too. Usually depends on the feel of your mouse as well. If you are looking at gaming mice you may want to try and feel a few and see if you like the feel of one over the other. Comfort is the main if you're going to put a lot of time into games and computer use in general.
October 12, 2012 1:50:59 AM

Good points king. I have put the xbox gamepad away and have not used it in a good while. I feel my quest now lies in looking for a mouse I like.
September 22, 2014 8:24:08 PM

My advice is to get a mouse that has at least 5 DPI settings that can be selected on the fly. I finally upgraded my old Logitech MX500 to a G400, which is shaped the same but has 5 customizable DPI settings I can click on the fly. All I have to do is tap a button in front of the scroll wheel to go up in DPI, or one behind it to go down, or one behind that to reset to my selectable default.

Logitech are also know for their cursor smoothness, so it's not a bad brand to start with. There's also a lot of free internet browser games you can try that are designed to get people used to and more fast and precise at using a mouse. Just Google for mouse skill games.
less than a minute ago

Don't pick back up that gamepad just yet, keep trying with keyboard and mouse. You'll get better at it, and when you do, you'll be a lot better than if you were still on gamepad. I also only moved to PC gaming maybe 2 years ago, and it's a lot easier to pull off some serious skill shots with a mouse than it is a joystick.
!