SILENCE: Silverdo or swifttech with silent fan

elandras

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
I know there are a lot of posts about noise and that your all probably sick to death of them but I will try anyway. Sorry !!!
SO I want the most quiet (while still effective) solution, I am willing to not overclock as silence is now my goal.
SO would the swifttech MCX462+ with a very quite fan or the silverdo be the most quiet. ( or any other suggestion you may have. up to £60)

Rynthar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
My personal suggestion would be Thermalright SK-800 heatsink with Vantec stealth fan. Heatsink is one of the best, very good at cooling. The fan has a decent airflow (27 CFM) with a noiseless oppurtunity (20 dba). I just installed them and when I flick off my two side intakes, blowhole, and my 3 coolermaster case fans are off, you can hear a pin drop =) At idle my temps run maximum of 40C and and at idle around 30C. With all 6 of my other fans on I get low 20's. Its awesome hehe. Plus, my intake fans and coolermasters are relatively quiet also.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
That's a pretty stupid setup, copper coolers need high CFM fans to cool properly. Heck, my Ax7 with a 40Cfm fan does 35 celsius idle. The Sk6+ and Slk-800 NEED a fast fan, like a Vantec Tornado, or a Delta

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*

Rynthar

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
Really?! So well, its been working just fine..i think.. but yet again I have been measuring case temp and not CPU temp =( Whats the best fan I can use for my heatsink that is has the least DBA?

Actually the Swiftech will allow any 80mm fan to be mounted to it, the quieter the fan the hotter the processor runs, some M/Bs require a fan sensing wire to be connected to fan 1 or they will autoshutdown, my M/B is one of those boards, however you should be able to disable that feature in the CMOS setup. Ryan

Details, Details, Its all in the Details, If you need help, Don't leave out the Details.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
Well, copper coolers work much better with higher CFM fans. It's just because copper, while it conducts heat well, doesn't dissipate it as easily as aluminum, to the point, in some heatsinks, aluminum has more efficiency. My guess, just looking at heatsink benchmarks, is it would work best with a fan, at least 40cfms, although more would greatly benefit it. Here's a couple examples

Vantec Thermoflow 80mm fans
Papst 80mm fans
Some Sunon fans (I think some versions do 35 some CFMs)
Delta 80mm fans (they are loud though)
Vantec Tornado 80mm fans (they are VERY loud)

I personally wouldn't go below 30 or so CFMs, or you won't see a great temperature. It's the only reason I went an aluminum HSF, I can use a low noise fan and still get good cooling.

Soon enough, Intel will make the i845s...imagine dual channel Sdram...*shudder*