Underclocking guide?

iago

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2002
This is my first posting on the THG forum (be gentle).

I was thinking about getting a VIA EDEN for a quiet, low power video- and music player, as well as running a firewall and some kind of file sharing client. Looking at price points over here, as well as performance, I was struck by that it would be cheaper to get a Palomino 1600+ and use my old ECS K7S5 motherboard (and get a newer board for my 'proper' PC). But it would still run hot an noisy.

So I'm wondering how quiet I can get if I underclock the 1600+ CPU to 450-500MHz (real Hz). For the application intended, there is no need for full speed.

But I don't know how do go about it... setting the clock down when it seems to be auto configured, how much I can lower the voltage, if I need to lower the memory bus speed and so on.
(I do have a spare 256MB PC133, so lowering the memory bus speed to 100MHz would not make me cry :)

Has anyone tried to underclock by this much? Tips and advice or URL's?

Thank you.

yableez

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
why not just buy an older cpu?
a used one even

<font color=red><pre>screw you guys ----->>> im going home</b></pre><p>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Hmm, if you lowered the bus speed to 66MHz, it would run 700MHz, and you could probably drop the voltage considerably, perhaps to 1.1v I don't know how you would do this with that board, but you could try the "overclockers BIOS" for that board (to see if it allows you to adjust downward as well as upward) and manually drop the voltage through bridge mods.

My advice? Since you need a Socket 370 board to run the VIA chip, get one that allows you to manually adjust voltage and frequency. Then get a Celeron Tualatin 1000 and drop it to 667MHz/66MHz bus, and you'll probably be able to drop the voltage to around 1.1v I can help you with that one. It's better performance than the VIA at a similar price/heat output.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

SidVicious

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2002
I suggest you take the Duron Morgan into consideration, it run cooler than Athlon XP and it's easyer to work with because the bridges can be connected with a pencil.

Using the 6x multiplier once you unlocked will result in 600MHz. A Duron running that slow won't generate much heat and will be happy with 1.2 volts. If you have a big cooper heatsink, you might want to lower the fan voltage to make it wisper quiet.

Forget the VIA CPUs, If you do the manipulations I suggested you will get better performance at lower price with a Duron Morgan.

I'm running my Duron Morgan AHHAA @ 133 x 7.5 undervolted @ 1.375 on a A7V333-RAID. I also built a similar system for a friend, running his Duron @ 166 x 7 also undervolted.

If you do a search, you'll most likely find similar stories, I remember a thread a few month ago where someone managed to run another Duron Morgan @ 600MHz undervolted to 1.2 cooled by a passive heat sink.

Fok Speling Misstake