HP Deskjet 3740 - "Cannot install this hardware" message

Philippe

I am using XP Home Edition SP2 and IAm trying to install a HP Deskjet 3740
printer.
During the installation I have the following message: <<The software you are
installing for this Hardware: USB Printing Support has not passed windows
logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP>> I click on
continue anyway and then the installation continue. Then I have the message
<<Cannot install this Hardware Deskjet 3740. The driver installation file for
this device is missing a neccessary entry. This may be because the .INF was
written fro W95 or later>>

I am using the CD provided with the printer.
I went to HP and download the driver. The XP driver of course.
I plug the printer when the software tells me to do so.
I did re-install the USB Drivers of my computer.

I do not understand what is going on ? Can you help.

For your record, I have another computer with XP Professional on it and here
with the same dik installation the installation works fine. The problem is
that I need the printer to be attached to the computer with XP Home.

Thank you. Phil.

I'm having same problem with Epson CX6600, worked fine, then all of a sudden
wasn't there anymore and couldn't reload software, spent 2hrs on phone with
Epson and went to 2nd level tech. support, no luck, messed with the fire wall
program a bit and all of a sudden the printer icon appeared in My Computer
Folder and works, however, ink monitor doesn't work, and spooking is
slow...45sec. to print a job.

"Philippe" wrote:

> I am using XP Home Edition SP2 and IAm trying to install a HP Deskjet 3740
> printer.
> During the installation I have the following message: <<The software you are
> installing for this Hardware: USB Printing Support has not passed windows
> logo testing to verify its compatibility with Windows XP>> I click on
> continue anyway and then the installation continue. Then I have the message
> <<Cannot install this Hardware Deskjet 3740. The driver installation file for
> this device is missing a neccessary entry. This may be because the .INF was
> written fro W95 or later>>
>
> I am using the CD provided with the printer.
> I went to HP and download the driver. The XP driver of course.
> I plug the printer when the software tells me to do so.
> I did re-install the USB Drivers of my computer.
>
> I do not understand what is going on ? Can you help.
>
> For your record, I have another computer with XP Professional on it and here
> with the same dik installation the installation works fine. The problem is
> that I need the printer to be attached to the computer with XP Home.
>
> Thank you. Phil.

raphaelnikolai

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2008
You can this link:

http://www.out-of-warranty.com/hp-installation-cannot-install-this-hardware/

You may have a problem with your INF file.