Sign in with
Your question

What do you think of windows 8

Last response: in Windows 8
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 1, 2012 10:23:53 PM

Hey Guys, Regardless I am upgrading to windows 8. But I was just wondering what you think of it and if there are any issues I should worry about such as multiple monitor use ect, ect.

More about : windows

a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2012 1:05:32 AM

The RC was out long enough to kill most bugs. I have it right now and so far, it feels smoother than 7. IE10 alone feels much faster than IE9 plus it has spellcheck and flash built in which is nice and I haven't had any driver/app issues. Most of my old apps moved over without a hitch.

The Start Screen takes some getting used to but is customizable and there are freeware and pay for "Start Menu" apps to ease the change.

All in all its a solid OS and I really love the new Task Manager which has much more detail to it.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2012 3:13:06 AM

I don't like it or hate it but i prefer win 7
m
l
Related resources
November 2, 2012 3:25:39 AM

I think it is made for tablet and touchscreen PC.
m
l
November 2, 2012 3:28:11 AM

I haven't tried it myself, but I'm quite put off by the "touch interface" scheme of the OS.

I love Windows 7, and think it is Microsoft's best OS to date - so far I'm having a hard time seeing myself installing Win 8 ever.

Will give it some time to "settle" and read feedback on the interwebs before I do a format C:
m
l
a b C Monitor
a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2012 4:01:13 AM

I'm using it and it requires explanation but I DO RECOMMEND it as an upgrade to XP and Vista but not necessarily Windows 7.

The $40 download upgrade to Windows 8 though is compelling.

My dad's laptop:
We upgraded his Vista 32-bit to Windows 8 32-bit PRO (upgrade must be 32-bit to 32-bit or 64-bit to 64-bit. We did a full install because programs can't be kept (unless going from W7).

His REBOOT time went from 7min40sec to 70seconds. Yes.

I'm still on the Developer version on my new rig and awaiting my full copy of W8 Pro. Regular W8 is good for most but W8 Pro was on sale for $108.

My opinions?
The interface:
Long story short I'm using Stardock's Start8. I'm avoiding the new interface entirely and don't expect that to change. We'll see. I'll keep dabbling. You can basically get Start8 to add the Start Menu back and treat W8 like an upgraded version of Windows 7.

Changes:
- faster boot and shutdown
- better security
- better file management (protection of files)
- improved Windows Explorer

If you're on the fence between W7 and W8 get W8. There are a few minor issues to get sorted out but this is the future Microsoft's chosen, so unless you stay with W7 forever you're out of luck.

And of course, there's Start8.
m
l
November 2, 2012 5:44:07 AM

I'm loving W8, did a clean install on a Samsung Laptop configured booting from an SSD enabled UEFI, GPT etc. now get sub 5 second boot times, yep the start menu has gone but it's been replaced by a start screen, you can add/remove whatever you want, still runs 32-bit applications (including command line); so far the only thing missing (that was in W7) is a (full image) backup tool.
m
l
November 2, 2012 7:10:04 AM

The most important issue for anyone downgrading to Windows 8 is the graphics drivers, unless you have a recent graphics card, one that is still being sold by Nvidia or AMD, then the chances are the driver will be very buggy or in Beta that does not work at all. Also for the older graphics card there is no guarantee that the beta drivers will ever be updated.
Windows 8 is a little bit faster than Windows 7 but Microsoft did say that many of the speed improvements will be implemented in Windows 7 after the launch of Windows 8.
Windows 8 can be made tolerable with the use of such programs as classic shell and ribbon disabler.
Metro is a complete waste of time, the supplied apps either don't work very well such as the mail app or only do what you can do with a web browser anyway, although Microsoft did said that they will be updating the apps soon.
Because of the removal of Aero and gadgets the desktop feels more old fashion than Windows 7.

Conclusion, unless you have a touch screen avoid Windows 8.

m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2012 9:25:02 AM

I like to use my computer for gaming. I have at the moment a radeon 6850. But next month hopefully will be getting a 7950 or a 7970. Should I be concerned? And is it a whole lot different now that they don't use aero?
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 2, 2012 9:40:17 AM

Windows 8 is actually OK if you don't have a touchscreen as there are keyboard shortcuts like Alt + F4 and Super Key + Tab to help you out. So all in all, I think it's OK, but maybe wait a while before some updates come out so you don't have as many issues.
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:13:29 AM

I see no reason at all for a person running a desktop PC to install Win 8 right now. There is simply nothing about Win8 that is a big improvement over Win7. If you are running Vista (i cannot believe anyone is still using that worthless hunk of junk software, you really, really, really need to move on....its simply the worst OS ever released except for maybe WinME.....) I would still say right now upgrade to Win7. Most of the features that do make Win8 practical for desktops will be implemented into service pack releases soon anyhow, and you don't need the graphic interface features of Win8 on a desktop.
m
l
November 2, 2012 11:33:39 AM

I have messed around with the RC when it was released and once it went retail I decided to pick it up. I feel that if you're already running Windows 7 there really isn't a reason to upgrade to Windows 8 in my opinion. With that being said let me point out that if one decides to change to Windows 8 it does have an enhanced task manager which I LOVE! I have found that if there's a program you like to use that also has an app in the Market it's better to use the normal program install. Skype for example has an app in the market but having to bounce back and forth from the desktop to the app is very annoying. I also found that if you use Windows Media Center and not to be confused with Windows Media Player you will have to add the feature because it doesn't come standard as it did with Vista or Win 7. You can add this feature from the Market but it comes at a price. I don't recall the price but I found that you can request a free activation key until I think January of next year and after that you'll have to pay for it. My advice is if you even think you're going to upgrade to go request the key so you at least have it on hand for when you upgrade and decide to add the feature. Once you request the key it will take up to 24 hours to receive it by email.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-8/feature-pa...
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2012 2:30:27 PM

I thought it was 40 dollars with the activation fee and the download. After that there shouldn't be any more charges right?
m
l
November 2, 2012 4:44:15 PM

If you want/need the Media pack (play Movies DVD's etc) it's extra, at the moment you can get it free (if you don't mind a very long queue), don't know how long the offer will there.

Also just found one issue, Android Debug Bridge no longer works in W8.
m
l
November 2, 2012 5:17:29 PM

Terrible... I'll stick with my old trustworthy Windows ME, thank you very much!
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2012 6:36:03 PM

Well, I just bought. I'll have to see how it works.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2012 6:50:26 PM

pacioli said:
Holy crap bro you are still using windows me. :o 
m
l
November 2, 2012 8:40:46 PM

bigcyco1 said:
Holy crap bro you are still using windows me. :o 

sorry bro... sarcasm in forums is hard to convey... without the /s. I just find that having to explicitly state that I am using sarcasm completely defeats the purpose of using sarcasm.
m
l
a b C Monitor
November 2, 2012 9:19:28 PM

pacioli said:
sorry bro... sarcasm in forums is hard to convey... without the /s. I just find that having to explicitly state that I am using sarcasm completely defeats the purpose of using sarcasm.
Agreed :lol: 
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 3, 2012 12:18:11 PM

Installed it. I like it so far. One Thing I am a little concerned with is how much space does windows take up on your hdd out of the gate. I only have 300gb left on my 500gb hdd and I did a clean install. If I remember correctly I had about 300gb left after I had all of my files and games installed before I upgraded. It should be using less right?
m
l
November 3, 2012 2:13:50 PM

Quote:
Installed it. I like it so far. One Thing I am a little concerned with is how much space does windows take up on your hdd out of the gate. I only have 300gb left on my 500gb hdd and I did a clean install. If I remember correctly I had about 300gb left after I had all of my files and games installed before I upgraded. It should be using less right?

Only 300 gig left? While that sounds small with all the new 1, 2 and even 3TB drives, 300 gig is still a lot of space for most people. With all your programs and files you are using way less than half of your drive now, a windows installation will only use about 18 gig initially, but with service pack upgrades, up to date upgrades, and other file saving features and restore points being created, and other what not.....it will grow to about 30gig pretty quickly. A year later, you can expect Windows to be using about 35 gig unless you are diligent about deleting old restore points, temp files, etc. I have been able to keep my Windows install on my 60 SSD down to around 28 gig now for about a year and a half without too much fuss.
m
l
November 3, 2012 7:05:19 PM

I find the idea of "swiping" using a mouse, a pain in the ass.
i also find the idea of having a start screen overlay that bloodywell continually goes back to the traditional desktop we are all used to indicative of a stop gap measure that simply will not suit desktop pcs for a long time to come yet.
For those that have compared running apps to the traditional programs will find the apps based UI in Win 8 an absolute mongrel...they limit ones ability to get into the finer nitty gritty of the functionality which ibm compatible pc users love. If we wanted windows 8 we would have all gone out and bought imacs a long time ago!!!

Has anyone tried to print directly from the default windows reader? Since when is it faster to swipe, go to settings, find the damn printer and print? Microsoft, you're kidding me right???

Oh and one other thing...i bought into the rubbish about built in anti virus software. what i didnt realise is that if the software you are running is not using the app interface, windows defender doesnt seem to be so secure. I had to do a full HDD reformat and OS reinstall because i got an infection that randomly went through my system shutting down functionality to different programs and features. One day Word wouldnt load up, the next Word was working and my printer wasnt accessible, a few days later i my printer was working fine however, i was unable to play any online games without my system locking up, next internet explorer stopped working, then my email account application lost access to all of my mail accounts...it went on and on.

I have young kids, so i decided i had better reconfigure parental controls so that my 8 year old son could only use the computer at times i nominated. This function always worked perfectly in windows 7...it was dead easy to set up. I had windows 8 on that desktop pc for 4 months and could never get parental controls to work properly. My son would walk up to the computer, log in...and away he would go...unrestricted time limits.

I have gone back to Windows 7 for now on all of my computers except my laptop. Its only on my laptop because i dont want to have to wipe almost everything off the drive to change back!

m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 4, 2012 12:22:41 PM

jitpublisher said:
Only 300 gig left? While that sounds small with all the new 1, 2 and even 3TB drives, 300 gig is still a lot of space for most people. With all your programs and files you are using way less than half of your drive now, a windows installation will only use about 18 gig initially, but with service pack upgrades, up to date upgrades, and other file saving features and restore points being created, and other what not.....it will grow to about 30gig pretty quickly. A year later, you can expect Windows to be using about 35 gig unless you are diligent about deleting old restore points, temp files, etc. I have been able to keep my Windows install on my 60 SSD down to around 28 gig now for about a year and a half without too much fuss.

That's the problem 300gb is nothing to me. Really 500gb is still to small but it is all I could afford at the time. And Like I said. I'm pretty sure that I had 300gb left with all of my games and programs installed when I had windows 7. Now with windows 8 I don't have anything installed at all and I only have 300gb left. I could easliy burn through 100-200 after I get everything Installed again. I think that something isn't right here.
m
l
November 4, 2012 4:41:57 PM

I can't ever see myself shifting from W7 until i buy an i7 System so i can boot W7 or W8, stay safe, not sorry.
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 4, 2012 10:49:04 PM

pushanthegreat said:
It Is Good

I deleted windows.old. It gave me my 150gb back. The last two files said that windows may not work correctly or fail if you delete them. I deleted them anyways concidering how it was windows.old. I doubt it had to do anything with the current windows system.
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 4, 2012 10:50:46 PM

All in all I'm a little disapointed. My current usb wifi adapter wasn't compatable due to that fact that the drivers were to old and netgear no longer releases update to that model. So I had to use an older slower one. booh. And the lack of the start bar and aero are really annoying. However I do like the metro interface. But it will need a lot of updates. Anyways I can get aero or that start button back in the meantime.
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 5, 2012 1:18:00 AM

Yeah, I don't like the new windows, microsoft must Have been high to make a tablet oriented OS for PC
m
l
November 5, 2012 1:48:44 AM

Windows 8 is the ***. Love what they did with the start menu even though most be hatin on it. Works just fine on desktops as there is still a desktop view.
m
l
November 5, 2012 2:29:35 AM

I enjoy it. It can do anything Windows 7 could, and feels much quicker and smoother. Plus it boots up really fast. 7 seconds on my SSD. :D 

I was initially annoyed by the lack of things like "Computer", "Control Panel", etc, but now I just have a folder filled with all those 'advanced' things.
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 5, 2012 6:13:19 PM

Still don't like it. Going back to 7 for now.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
November 6, 2012 3:06:49 PM

I think there's a way to get Aero back, but i myself don't care for it. I just can't get used to the new start menu. Sure you can get the clasic UI but to me that's enough not to not like Win 8 but imo i think by not using Windows 8 will help keep the classic UI/start menu from becoming obsolete or someone will come up with a better touch screen interface.
m
l
November 6, 2012 3:55:49 PM

i love win8, been using since DP, just installed the full version last night, oddly enough it kept my backround and a couple settings even though i did a clean install on my SSD.

i do recommend to family and friends if they have win7 now then there is no point to upgrade, but if they plan on getting it anyway or in the future then to buy it now and save it for later.

i just have all my drivers save on my spare drive for win8 so when i re-installed just opened up that folder and installed everything including start8 for ease of use and it took no longer than an hour to have the OS installed and all my settings and everything how i like it

only gripe i have is i use my TV and i cant read it most of the time at 1080, so i set it to 720, when i try to just open a video file (im guessing it is using an "app" to do it) it says my resolution is too small. this is not a big issue since i use VLC anyway, but it is odd
m
l
November 6, 2012 4:51:21 PM

i hated the DP and the RC but didnt spend enough time screwing around with them i guess. once i got all the regular MS programs to open stuff instead of the apps its much more familiar and i can multitask without griping at the thing. definitely a couple issues here and there with some stuff like showing operating system files and extensions and stuff but those have mostly been resolved.
m
l
November 6, 2012 6:44:34 PM

Quote:
Hey Guys, Regardless I am upgrading to windows 8. But I was just wondering what you think of it and if there are any issues I should worry about such as multiple monitor use ect, ect.

Overall I am satisfied with Windows 8. I only installed it on my secondary computer, a HP Folio ultrabook. I wanted to give Windows 8 a chance but not ready to commit to using it on my main desktop PC. During the upgrade I opted to keep all of my settings and programs and the OS upgrade went surprisingly smooth. I did have to manually reinstall the Windows 7 USB 3.0 drivers. The “upgraded” Windows 8 drivers had issues with my Corsair USB 3.0 flash drive. The included Windows 8 drivers for my two networked HP printers worked better than HP’s over bloated install packages. My feelings about the new start screen are neutral. I don’t hate it but don’t find an advantage to it either. After removing all the tiles I would not use and pinning all my most use programs to the taskbar and start screen I can accept the change. I would find the integrated calendar, email, and SkyDrive useful additions to Windows 8 but have an IPhone and use Icloud for calendar and email needs instead. ***Don’t judge, the Macair is running Windows 7, i'm not an OSX fan. When Microsoft’s Windows 8 phone is successful, I may go back to all Microsoft solutions. While I don’t recommend it on your main Windows 7 PC, if you have a secondary PC give Windows 8 a try on it while the price is low.
m
l
November 7, 2012 7:01:44 AM

I installed Win 8 on another Raid0 array [Raptors]I have which had a win7 pro install so I did a upgrade. I usually do clean installs but this install was good and had lots of data and programs I use so what the hell. Install went well, I needed to reinstall 2 drivers, a creative sound driver and I forgot what else at this time.

It ran well, booted quick once the boot-loader ran about 10 times, there is another Raid0 array in this machine with SSD's. I hated the metro themed screen but I had software that gave me the same look as Win7. Still, I do not like the "change". I like Windows 7, I already formatted it to use the space for some games.

I might purchase it in the future, after all I do need to get comfortable with it if I am to work with it and fix machines with this OS too.
m
l
Anonymous
a b C Monitor
November 13, 2012 11:01:45 PM

I really hated it. It felt more like a walled garden that macs have. You couldn't customise it as much. and they way it's set up they force you to use it the way they wan't to through the metro interface. Unless you mod it. anyways, valve hated windows 8 so much they are working on steam for linux adn it's already in beta. which if that ever picks up that would be awesome. But I think it will at least be anywhere from 6-10 years untill steam becomes the dominate market in gaming. which would be nice considering the only reason I use windows is because of gaming.
m
l
November 13, 2012 11:44:50 PM

i REALLY doubt the reason steam is devloping a linux client is because of windows 8 and not like, expanding their market.
m
l
November 14, 2012 12:53:27 AM

I like it on my new build.

Walled garden? As a user, I am missing it. Freeware/open source installs fine. Winkey-Q lets me search all apps in a way that's easier than the old start menu and does NOT require knowing whether an app is desktop or modern/metro. Yes, I know it is heresy to say Win8's App Screen is better for mouse/keyboard than the old Start menu, but that's my experience.

After installing from the Win8 system builder DVD I got from NewEgg for $70 (today I think it's $90), all peripherals were instantly working. The drivers that came with the ASRock motherboard were totally unnecessary, although I did later download a few updated drivers that maybe made the system slightly faster.

Then I made the system dual-boot with OpenSUSE Linux. It was like a Windows install ten or fifteen years ago, with minor separate struggles to get consistent recognition of keyboard and printer, and correct video rendering -- and then I had to repartition with GParted for best use of hard drive space. This is definitely NOT a criticism of OpenSUSE -- another distribution might have been, and probably would have been, worse. It is praise for Win8, an operating system that just works.

Note: I would not do Win8 as an upgrade, only as a new build.
m
l
a b * Windows 8
December 2, 2012 5:47:13 PM

I enjoy it too
m
l
December 2, 2012 9:07:31 PM

pacioli said:

Wow, Win ME was one of the worst, most buggy OS's put out by MS. It was even worse than Win Vista. I've played around with Win 8 and saying I dislike it is an understatement.

Don't touch Win 8 unless you have a touchscreen PC, which in my opinion is stupid. MS created one OS designed more for tablets, with PCs almost as an afterthought. It's like the typical rebadging of cars by manufacturers. Hey, it's a Nissan, no it's an Infinity, wait it's the same god damn car but with a different badge and costing more money! Stupid...
m
l
December 3, 2012 6:22:05 PM

It's called sarcasm... geez
m
l
!