Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to get the most out of Diablo 3?/What's more fun?..

Last response: in Video Games
October 1, 2012 6:49:30 PM

So I started playing this game and I'm not even through Act 1 yet... Contrary to what I read on the web I'm actually quite enjoying it (maybe cause I never played Diablo 2 or any other dungeon crawler style game)...

Anyway I was just wondering what's the typical way over playing through the game regarding classes? Is it fun to play through with one class (I'm the Monk) on normal difficulty then start over again with another class or would be it better to push on through using my same character through the other level difficulties and keep leveling up? I guess I'm just curious about the other classes and seeing their powers/etc but would it be boring to start over with a new class on Normal difficulty? Just interested on people's take on it.

Thanks.

More about : diablo fun

October 1, 2012 7:06:49 PM

I think it depends on your style. Personally, I like to play through with the same character, and then start a character with a completely different style (from Barbarian to Witch Doctor)

Maybe you'll like doing the same things in different ways. Again, I think it's just up to you.
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:15:52 PM

i8myhippo said:
I think it depends on your style. Personally, I like to play through with the same character, and then start a character with a completely different style (from Barbarian to Witch Doctor)

Maybe you'll like doing the same things in different ways. Again, I think it's just up to you.

Thanks..When you say 'play through' do you mean playing through the game on each difficulty? From Normal to Inferno and then switch classes?
m
l
October 1, 2012 7:56:46 PM

I don't like going beyond normal, honestly.
m
l
October 1, 2012 8:26:57 PM

I personally get attached to one character. I'll usually play it through at least 2 or 3 difficulties before I try another character.

The game is quite fun all the way through Act I of inferno. It can be fun after, but that is when players get upset with Blizzard's approach to the game. The reality is, the game is good, but lacks re-playability like Diablo 2 had. It also has clear signs of Blizzard trying to milk cash out of us with their RMAH. Advancing beyond Act 1 of inferno requires a lot of time on the AH or RMAH, which is not fun for a lot of players.

Just stay away from that part of the game, and the game is still a good game.
m
l

Best solution

October 2, 2012 12:24:36 AM

Here are my tips for enjoying D3 the most...

At the very least, play one class all the way through Normal difficulty. On the side, create 4 other characters for the other 4 classes. Save any worthy Rare/Yellow loot for your other characters/classes.

Be sure to try out all the new abilities. Try not to do a marathon multiplayer session over 10 levels. Take time to try out new abilities in single player mode. Experiment! Hit up YouTube or the forums to seek build advice or just tips on particular build setups. As for gear while leveling up, you can upgrade every 5-10 levels depending on what you have.

If you decide on Monk, save some/most/all your gear for your Demon Hunter or vice versa. If you do Witch Doctor, the hand-me-downs will help out your wizard a ton.

If you end up liking the first class you tried out, get that one to 60 so you can use it farm gold and gear for your characters. Otherwise, try another class and play through at least the first act.

Once you have enough gold from your 20s-40s, try to get yellow gear to replace your blues. As soon as possible, get helms with a slot so you can put a big ruby gem in it for experience boost. It's also great to get socketed weapons to put red gems in for a big dps boost.

When you are in the mid 40s (halfway through Hell mode), start searching the auction house for rare gear with the "Reduced Level Requirement" as one of the affixes. Being lvl 45 with lvl 60+ gear is a lot of fun and you just maul through mobs and bosses with ease. Get movement speed on your boots. Get the legendary Hammer Jammers (legs) for additional movement speed. I did this with the last 2 classes I've played.

I thought I was going to like Monk and Barb, but I ended up liking Witch Doctor tons more. Demon Hunter and Wizard were fun to play since I had "uber" gear (see above tip) between levels 45-59.

I wouldn't bother playing Inferno until you've decided a class that you really really like. It's a gear grind and any gear you've bought or come across while getting to 60 will probably need a serious upgrade when you play Inferno.
October 2, 2012 1:00:25 AM

BlueberryCake said:
Here are my tips for enjoying D3 the most...

At the very least, play one class all the way through Normal difficulty. On the side, create 4 other characters for the other 4 classes. Save any worthy Rare/Yellow loot for your other characters/classes.

Be sure to try out all the new abilities. Try not to do a marathon multiplayer session over 10 levels. Take time to try out new abilities in single player mode. Experiment! Hit up YouTube or the forums to seek build advice or just tips on particular build setups. As for gear while leveling up, you can upgrade every 5-10 levels depending on what you have.

If you decide on Monk, save some/most/all your gear for your Demon Hunter or vice versa. If you do Witch Doctor, the hand-me-downs will help out your wizard a ton.

If you end up liking the first class you tried out, get that one to 60 so you can use it farm gold and gear for your characters. Otherwise, try another class and play through at least the first act.

Once you have enough gold from your 20s-40s, try to get yellow gear to replace your blues. As soon as possible, get helms with a slot so you can put a big ruby gem in it for experience boost. It's also great to get socketed weapons to put red gems in for a big dps boost.

When you are in the mid 40s (halfway through Hell mode), start searching the auction house for rare gear with the "Reduced Level Requirement" as one of the affixes. Being lvl 45 with lvl 60+ gear is a lot of fun and you just maul through mobs and bosses with ease. Get movement speed on your boots. Get the legendary Hammer Jammers (legs) for additional movement speed. I did this with the last 2 classes I've played.

I thought I was going to like Monk and Barb, but I ended up liking Witch Doctor tons more. Demon Hunter and Wizard were fun to play since I had "uber" gear (see above tip) between levels 45-59.

I wouldn't bother playing Inferno until you've decided a class that you really really like. It's a gear grind and any gear you've bought or come across while getting to 60 will probably need a serious upgrade when you play Inferno.

Ah ok thanks a lot! When you say "If you decide on Monk, save some/most/all your gear for your Demon Hunter or vice versa. If you do Witch Doctor, the hand-me-downs will help out your wizard a ton. " ...How do I save my gear for another class? So right now I've been playing as the Monk but I sold some bows because I can't use them as a Monk so i thought there was no need to keep them. Should I just keep them in my Stash for when I decide to try out Demon Hunter? I thought when you create a new character it would be just like creating a new game so my Stash would be empty?
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:11:53 AM

Your stash is saved between all normal characters or all hardcore characters. That said, saving gear from levels 1-60 is something that is up to the individual. You can play without hand-me-downs, so each character gets the same building experience, or you can save the gear, for later characters.

I personally tend to only save level 60 gear that is good.
m
l
October 2, 2012 1:15:57 AM

One more thing that is pretty much imperative. You need to open up the Gameplay options, and check "Elective" mode. For some idiotic reason, Blizzard set it so that the default settings forces you to use one type of spell/skill in each slot, not allowing you to use multiple skills of the same type. Elective mode changes that.
m
l
October 2, 2012 2:32:27 AM

bystander said:
I personally get attached to one character. I'll usually play it through at least 2 or 3 difficulties before I try another character.

The game is quite fun all the way through Act I of inferno. It can be fun after, but that is when players get upset with Blizzard's approach to the game. The reality is, the game is good, but lacks re-playability like Diablo 2 had. It also has clear signs of Blizzard trying to milk cash out of us with their RMAH. Advancing beyond Act 1 of inferno requires a lot of time on the AH or RMAH, which is not fun for a lot of players.

Just stay away from that part of the game, and the game is still a good game.

If you haven't already Bystander, you should check out Torchlight 2. It has all of the replayability of Diablo 2. Up to 97 hours on my first toon in it already.

@OP, for any action rpg whether it's Diablo or Titan Quest or whatever, I always have the most fun by going whole-hog on one character at a time and getting their gear really perfected and theorycrafting every step of the character development (even though this is more forgiving in Diablo 3 where you can alter everything at any time, it's still something to do).
m
l
October 2, 2012 3:56:53 AM

casualcolors said:
If you haven't already Bystander, you should check out Torchlight 2. It has all of the replayability of Diablo 2. Up to 97 hours on my first toon in it already.

@OP, for any action rpg whether it's Diablo or Titan Quest or whatever, I always have the most fun by going whole-hog on one character at a time and getting their gear really perfected and theorycrafting every step of the character development (even though this is more forgiving in Diablo 3 where you can alter everything at any time, it's still something to do).

I have purchased Torchlight 2. To be honest, I'm not all that impressed by it. The story telling is very weak, and the skill system and combat hasn't really grabbed my attention yet. I am finding the Outlander a little more fun than my first character, the Embermage, but still not enjoying it even as much as Diablo 3. I'd still say that Titan Quest has the best skill system and equipment out of any of these types of games I've played.

That said, I may just need more time and a higher level character before it grabs my attention. Titan Quest wasn't my favorite until after I nearly finished the 2nd difficulty level.
m
l
October 2, 2012 12:53:52 PM

casualcolors said:

Yeah I think I'm gonna do that. Stick with my Monk for the long haul. After that I might try the Witch Doctor. He sounds fun. This game is pretty addicting!

Question - Does it only save when you hit a Checkpoint? Is there anyway to save the game when you're just in some dungeon in the middle of a side quest or something? Thanks.
m
l
October 2, 2012 3:00:33 PM

Diablo 3 is a great game, ignore the bashers!

I have spent a while playing, i love the fact i can play for like 30 minutes or 4 hours and I still enjoy the session.

I played though with my Barb up to inferno act 3...im struggling now :) 

Me and my bro basically played though together and that was great! took our time and explored etc on the first run though and then just battered up to inferno!

AH is good just remember to use the filters and use the reduced level attribute!!! Once you get up to a higher difficulty you can do a nice act 1 run, takes about 20 mins and gets you 300k gold each time...ready for taking on Diablo!!

Great game, stick at it!
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:01:45 PM

da22 said:
Diablo 3 is a great game, ignore the bashers!

I have spent a while playing, i love the fact i can play for like 30 minutes or 4 hours and I still enjoy the session.

I played though with my Barb up to inferno act 3...im struggling now :) 

Me and my bro basically played though together and that was great! took our time and explored etc on the first run though and then just battered up to inferno!

AH is good just remember to use the filters and use the reduced level attribute!!! Once you get up to a higher difficulty you can do a nice act 1 run, takes about 20 mins and gets you 300k gold each time...ready for taking on Diablo!!

Great game, stick at it!

Yep I've only played about 9 hours so far and I'm really enjoying it....Exploring, looting, fighting and discovering new skills. Good stuff!
m
l
October 2, 2012 8:37:08 PM

bystander said:
I have purchased Torchlight 2. To be honest, I'm not all that impressed by it. The story telling is very weak, and the skill system and combat hasn't really grabbed my attention yet. I am finding the Outlander a little more fun than my first character, the Embermage, but still not enjoying it even as much as Diablo 3. I'd still say that Titan Quest has the best skill system and equipment out of any of these types of games I've played.

That said, I may just need more time and a higher level character before it grabs my attention. Titan Quest wasn't my favorite until after I nearly finished the 2nd difficulty level.

Titan Quest was pretty good for sure. I wish they'd make a full sequel to it (with less clumsy multiplayer). Torchlight 2's story is almost non-existent but gameplay wise it's my favorite action rpg ever released to be honest. I'm a much bigger fan of it than Diablo 3's talent system which is too inconsequential to me, where the actual gameplay I enjoy more than D2.
m
l
October 11, 2012 11:59:19 PM

Best answer selected by octoberhungry.
m
l
!