FSB/PCI problem

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I'm fairly new to OCing and I was wondering if there is way to increase my FSB without pushing my PCI slots anymore. I've gone up to 149/37 and everything is fine except I don't like stressing my pci/agp that much. I downloaded softfsb with hopes up but it wouldn't pick up my CPU and I have NO idea which clock generator I have. On top of that I don't know if it will effect my pci bus. Thanx for any help.

Asus A7S333 SiS745 AGP ver1.09
AMD XP1800+ @ 1667Mhz (FSB 145MHz)
256*2 Samsung DDR333 2-3-3-6
BBA ATI Radeon 8500LE 128MB Cat 2.3 @ 290/290 w/R3D
SB Audigy Platinum
40G Maxtor D740X-6L pm
LG Goldstar 32-10-40 sm
Enermax 430W Whisper PSU
O$=XPpro

:eek: <b>Who needs heatsinks and fans, I have an igloo</b> :eek:

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
You can probably get a bit higher.

Some BIOSes will allow you to lock the PCI frequency. This is not a common feature, do not expect it of your board. Its probably not there.

The rule of thumb with high quality cards is until you hit PCI 40MHz you're okay. So you can push another 11MHz out of your FSB most likely, probably more then your CPU can take anyway.

In my experience, if your PCI freq is too high, your system will just refuse to boot, in which case you clear your bios and set it lower.

-Col.Kiwi

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you want to use SoftFSB, you'll find the model number of your clock generator written on the clock generator chip, which is normally about .5" x 1" and located within a few inches of the CPU.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Thanx alot guys. My modem is probably holding me up then. I'm waiting for the cable guy. No I can't lock my pci bus. Does it also affect your HDD bus?

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
Yeah that's what I meant and thanx for the clarity! As you can tell I'm new to this and it seems like my HDD acts different when I up the bus. Perhaps just an illusion!

Col_Kiwi

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2002
I'm not clear on how exactly, but i've heard reports of people's HDDs causing difficulties if they're really old or cheap.

If the system runs stable though... its fine

-Col.Kiwi

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
It's a brand new 7200rpm Maxtor. It just makes a fair bit of noise, but it has no bad sectors and completes all powermax tests no prob. I've contacted maxtor numerous times regarding this but until it fails a test or develops bad sectors they say it's good.

psykoikonov

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2002
I think I found it however it's almost as far away as possible from my CPU (right across from pci3). The number is ICS9248EF-199. I have a compatible setfsb program but it says I need to copy giveio.sys into it's folder. I searched on the net and on my comp and only got hits off the net. The hits had to do with peripheral sound devices. I need this file? I'm trying CPUFSB in a minute,may not need it at all.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes, that would be it. It's normally near the CPU, but it doesn't have to be, that's just the first place I tell people to look.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

svol

Champion
Increasing your FSB DOES affect your IDE controller (unless you can lock the PCI bus speed). The onboard IDE controller and optional onboard RAID controller run at the same speed as the PCI bus... so increasing your FSB affects it. But most IDE controllers can manage a PCI bus up to 40MHz.

*Advertisement*
<b><A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/dewrede/enterstrips.html" target="_new">Geert's Comics</A></b>