What's In Your Arsenal? (Gaming Equipment)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Hey everyone! I have some extra cash after building my rig and I've decided to buy some stuff from the guy who put my computer together for me. I got a used Razer Lycosa & Abyssus for $60, and I just picked up a Razer Nostromo. I'm also using a Rocketfish Wired Gaming Headset (PC, XBOX 360, PS3, & iPod/Cell Phone). I love the equipment in my arsenal and thinking about getting some more stuff like I gotten the Nostromo for Star Wars: The Old Republic and other RPG's like Diablo 1-3. I play on my desktop but when I go out of town for a few days (4-6 times a year) I use my old laptop with 1.8 GHz single core so I play old games (Diablo 1, Star Wars Commandos, ect).

So, what do you have in your arsenal? Any advice on what I should I get? Such as a back up keyboard, mouse, headset, ect. Or what type of a mouse pad? Even for the laptop. I might take my Nostromo and Abyssus with me but not sure. Any advice or why you have it and like it in your arsenal would be much apperciated and will help me what I want to get. Thanks in advance. =)

Solution
I used to use the Belkin Nostromo n52, which I believe was bought by Razer, so it's pretty much what I used to use. It's not bad, but I prefer the G13. The main advantage is the Lua script options for the G13, which allowed me to do something that always annoyed me to no end about the Nostromo; I can program it to do a shift state change from my mouse button. Now pushing a thumb button on my mouse gives me 2-3 times more hotkeys than I had with the nostromo. Of course this takes advanced programing, but I made a fairly easy to use template script which makes all adjustments easy, including advanced macroing beyond what can normally be done (and some automated scripting, which shouldn't be done).

I also have a 3D Vision monitor...
I used to use the Belkin Nostromo n52, which I believe was bought by Razer, so it's pretty much what I used to use. It's not bad, but I prefer the G13. The main advantage is the Lua script options for the G13, which allowed me to do something that always annoyed me to no end about the Nostromo; I can program it to do a shift state change from my mouse button. Now pushing a thumb button on my mouse gives me 2-3 times more hotkeys than I had with the nostromo. Of course this takes advanced programing, but I made a fairly easy to use template script which makes all adjustments easy, including advanced macroing beyond what can normally be done (and some automated scripting, which shouldn't be done).

I also have a 3D Vision monitor, which is quite awesome on the games that support it.

I also have a Thrustmaster driving wheel for games like Dirt 2 & 3. It really adds a lot for driving games.

My mouse is a MS Sidewinder x8

My keyboard is a logitech G110, which ties into the macroing abilities of the G13.

Solution

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012
I have a Razer Deathadder, and a few days ago my friend gave me a Lycosa if I set my Facebook profile picture/wallpaper thing to the NVidia icon. He get's mad at me because my video card is AMD.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Bystander - I tried the G13 out and didn't like it to much. Felt weird and was a bit hard to hit some of those buttons. The Nostromo on the other hand feels more like keyboard to me while I'm able to hit those keys just in the nick of time. But I might get and try the G13 then trying a demo in the store for my laptop. How is the Sidewinder x8? The only MS product I used was an old Sidewinder with a game port. How's the driving wheel as well? And G110 is pretty good as well?

Voiidwulf - I'm thinking about getting the Deathadder as a nice back up/laptop mouse. What do you think about it? And haha, I have a AMD GPU too but thinking about switching NVidia. =)

Tjosborne - That wheel looks very nice and pro active for my racing game. And my funds is bascially unlimited, so money isn't an issue for me. =)

Any of you guys use a gaming mouse pad or just a regular cheap one? =3

In terms of the keys themselves, the Nostromo is more ergonomically sound, though the G13 isn't bad as long as you don't try to use the 1 and 2 G buttons as primary hotkeys. The main reason I prefer the G13 is that through the use of creative scripting, I was able to change M state modes (what the Nostromo calls a Shift State) by pressing my thumb buttons on my mouse. That ability is huge to me. Without it, shift states are too difficulty to effectively use, but with it, depending on whether I press a thumb button or not, I can have 2 or 3 times more hotkeys. This was especially big when I used to play WoW.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

It diffently is. But hey, what appeals to you may not appeal to me as well. But your suggestion is also helpful if I decide to get a back up or something for the laptop when I go out of town. I play a lot of Diablo 1 & 2, don't have 3 yet, and sounds like my Nostromo. I use key 2 as key 1 for SWTOR but use key 6 as my shift, as I can move around pretty good. Which is nice. But I'm not willing to pack it just yet, and I'll get myself a G13 to test out, see if it's worthy as a backup even. Thanks again for your suggestion as well. =)

Now, when trying to use your 6 button to shift state, do you find it rather restrictive when trying to push other buttons while trying to hold that button 6 down? That was what I hated.

As far as how I programmed my thumb buttons to shift states, you'll likely need my script, which will likely seem overwhelming at first, but I could show you a basic script just for that purpose if you like. As for the template I use, this is it. Keep in mind it is a work in progress:
http://www.logitechusers.com/game-profiles-macros-discussion/14412-ll-project-part-2-a.html

There are two ways you can use my script to allow the thumb button to do its thing. First, I have a function designed to actually change the M states on the G13, the other method will just load a different set of hotkeys when the button is pressed. Both work. Ask for help if you decide to try it out.

Adsuki

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
Nope, not really. My pinky is always on the shift key and I just put my hand on it to see which buttons rested on it like on my keyboard, so I programmed it like it. Feels nice too. That might be why I didn't like how the G13 felt, I couldn't figure out how I could rest my palm and fingers onto it. I was also rushed a bit but I'll hit Frys again this week or next week and study it more when I have time. And I'll also give your script a try as well if I do get one. Again, thank you very much. =)

Gaming keyboards? Gaming Mice?
imag0140nz.jpg

This is what I'm beating all of you guys with! :p

pff, you cannot possibly beat the great shiny over 9000++ dpi razer-shmazer super awesome ubelievable marketing gimmic mouse with those cheap0 peripherals! [/joke]

on the other hand, your wrist space is non existent, how long do you game before your hands start to hurt?

I use an abyssus (which I'm honestly not that thrilled about) and a regular chiklet keyboard. Seems to work just fine, need to buy a separate mic as the built-in has some significant noise issues. (which reminds me *runs off to amazon*)

voiidwulf

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2012

The Deathadder is quite nice. It's really comfortable.

I'm not even using a mouse pad right now, I should probably get one though.

marqol

Honorable
Oct 3, 2012
Have gone through endless razer mice, the pads on the razer mice i'm not keen on...

I use a razer goliathus mouse pad (huge thing)
swapped my deathadder for a good ol' war horse - mx518. Easily the best mouse ever made, cost $30 has multiple buttons and can wreck heads in cs.
I use a razer lycosa keyboard - has no fancy scripting crap but I like the touch pad music changer etc...
the almighty ath ad 700 head set, best headset ever used hands down!
been through a couple sennheiser headsets in my FPS rage days, paying hundreds for something you throw down is not an ideal thing ^^
use a zalman clip on mic to go with the head set - $10 amazon
AND got a mini-fridge of dr. pepper, beat that !

Right now: Logitech G3//Logitech G11//Logitech Rumble pad (the old version)//Roccat Taito mouse pad.

No i dont work for logitech :D.

Planned in the future: Custom made mice (Logitech mini optical with laser sensor)//Corsair vengance or steelseries mechanical keyboard (6Gv2 or something like that)//i stay with my rumble pad//Allsoap or sharkoon XL black Mat.

you should definitely get a mousepad, just for the sake of keeping your mouse feet cleaner and not rubbing the dirt into the surface of whatever you're using the mouse on. (mousemat is a lot easier to clean/replace)

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Razer is extremely overpriced and gimmicky. I would recommend the Kova+ over the Deathadder anyday. I use it and it's an amazing inexpensive mouse. Roccat makes solid products.

Get a cheap mousepad. All they do is allow for a smooth glide when moving your mouse around. Unless the tracking sensor on the mouse is very bad, I wouldn't spend more than $10 on a mousepad.

I dont like mices like razer myself. Not because they are overpriced (if its worth it, i pay it), but because they are so huge that is hard to move them with good precision with high sensitivity (i dont like low sensitivity because it means moving your wrist and arm instead of fingers and wrist, getting you more tired).

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

Razer mice are actually fairly small. Also it doesn't make sense to want a smaller mouse when you use high sensitivity? I use low sensitivity and thus need a small lightweight mouse. Also I've never heard of someone getting tired from moving their wrist around :lol: :) .

How does sensitivity and weight relate? You have a different preference than the other guy, but they really aren't related. How far you want to move the mouse for the same movement on the screen is one preference and how heavy the mouse is another.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

If you use high dpi you want a heavy mouse that way you're not flinging it around easily. If you use low dpi like me you want something light that you can lift easily and move around easily.

Sorry, but I personally do not choose how you do. Telling someone there wrong for not picking the way you do, especially when they aren't really related, is the only thing wrong.

Some people want to be able to swing their mouse all over the screen, they may like high sensitivity and a light mouse. I personally perfer more control, and have my sensitivity set relatively low at 1800 and have a heavy mouse. Having a mouse pad and mouse contacts which are sticky can be used to slow a mouse down too. There are too many personal choices, which all give each person the individual feel they like.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

They aren't wrong, but it's recommended based on common sense. Having more weight allows for more control, therefore it would help for higher dpi mouses. You honestly believe people want to be mindlesslely swinging their mouse around at 3200+dpi? Anyone who does that honestly is an idiot and I could guarantee you they aren't a good gamer. Since you use a fairly low DPI yet you have a heavy mouse that automatically tells me you wont be able to do many things as easily as I will such as doing a 180 degree turn for a character. You don't need to be physically moving your mouse around when you have high dpi because it does it for you on the screen, I don't know why that's so hard for you to understand. Who on earth would buy a sticky surfaced mouse pad, I don't think such a mouse pad even exists. Sticky mouse contacts? Seriously?

First off, almost no one uses a high DPI mouse for high DPI. So what if my mouse goes to 8000 dpi, they have settings to lower it. Also, every game is a bit different on how sensitive they are to your mouse. At 1800 DPI, I easily do 180 degree turns and if they don't, I up the DPI (new mice tend to let you easily change this on the mouse with a button). Another factor in how easily you can turn 180 degrees is how much mouse pad space you have. I use a larger mouse pad so I can move it further, easily.

There are also a number of different surfaces for mouse pads. I've used a variety over the years. There are some that are very slick, that are like a plastic surface. With the mouse pads that are slick in combination with this, you can move your mouse like it was on ice. There are others that are a thick cloth, which cause a lot of friction (what I meant by sticky).

How heavy your mouse is, is more about how strong your hands are, but again, a personal preference. Some of it is how you hold a mouse. A lot of people grip the mouse, and find that light mice will come off the surface, so they use a heavy one. Others barely put their hand on it, with their palm resting on the desk, these types often like light mice. I have an arm pad that lifts my arm off the desk, but I place my whole hand around the mouse, but lightly. I don't really care about the weight much, I manage just fine either way.

I could argue that a very sensitive mouse is better with a light mouse, if we use only logic. With a sensitive mouse, you won't be moving it very far, so you need to easily control the small movements. A lighter mouse would help with that.

Just use what you like. I'll use what I like. Grip, friction, hand strength, and general overall comfort value all play a part in the choice.

thetechnoobguy

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Also, every game is a bit different on how sensitive they are to your mouse.
Not true at all games have nothing to do with your mouse sensitivity directly, game sensitivity and mouse sensitivty are completely different and what you said is false.
Another factor in how easily you can turn 180 degrees is how much mouse pad space you have
The bigger the mouse pad you need the less skill you have imho.
With the mouse pads that are slick in combination with this, you can move your mouse like it was on ice. There are others that are a thick cloth, which cause a lot of friction (what I meant by sticky).
Mice with ruberized grip work best (which are newer more expensive gaming mice) on "cloth" type fabric mousepads. I own both a slick and fabric type mouspad and my Kova+ doesn't glide properly on the slick one where as the fabric one is very smooth and accurate
How heavy your mouse is, is more about how strong your hands are, but again, a personal preference.
What are you even talking about? If anyone is using excessive muscles in their hand to grip their mouse then they are doing it wrong. You don't need strength to use a mouse, you're suppose to use a delicate grip, you never see anyone clenching it, they are supported by a desk, in fact you use your wrist muscles more than you use the muscles in your hand. It's almost as if you're implying if you have strong hand muslces you're automatically always using them. I was right when I said heavy mouses are designed for those who use high dpi. Anyone who buys a heavy mouse because they think they have some superior hand strength shouldn't be buying gaming mice in the first place.

A lot of people grip the mouse, and find that light mice will come off the surface, so they use a heavy one.
Yeah, I personally prefer mouses that I can lift up so that I can readjust it to the center

Others barely put their hand on it, with their palm resting on the desk, these types often like light mice.
I have never heard of that and I would not recommend that at all unless you have some sort of disability that prevents you from properly gripping the mouse. I can't imagine how anyone can properly use a mouse with their palm on the desk/ mousepad, you can't even use your thumb.

I could argue that a very sensitive mouse is better with a light mouse, if we use only logic. With a sensitive mouse, you won't be moving it very far, so you need to easily control the small movements. A lighter mouse would help with that.
This makes no sense and is completely illogical. You wont be moving it very far so you don't want something that's light because you'll be moving it to easily. Common sense.

Just use what you like. I'll use what I like. Grip, friction, hand strength, and general overall comfort value all play a part in the choice.

Agreed, except for the hand strength part.

Status
Not open for further replies.