Failed fax printer connection XP home

I have been using my fax from my computer for a long time and then one day it
just did not work anymore. So I installed the XP home CD and tried to
reinstall my fax and that was horrible. It still does not work and after all
the research I have done to try and get it to be fixed, I am led to this
conclusion, I get the error that the 'Attempt to connect to the fax printer
failed' and then it askes to connect the driver and I do so but nothing
happens. When I am in the Fax Console nothing is highlighted and at the
bottom of the Colsone it reads 'Refreshing' or 'fax inaccessible'. When I go
to fax and the Send FaX Wizard pops up and I click 'Next', nothing happens
and then I get an error saying that the program is not responding. I fax
alot and I really need your help....thanks a bunch!
9 answers Last reply
More about failed printer connection home

    Your post is too vague to permit any troubleshooting.
    "One day it just did not work anymore" tells us nothing.
    How you reinstalled is important.

    That error message is often seen by users who have updated an older version
    of Windows XP to SP2 before they try to install the fax service. In these
    cases there is no error message during the installation (distinguishing this
    from the very common problem where the installation routine states it cannot
    find the necessary files). The installation appears to proceed without
    error, but when it is over there is no fax printer apparent and any attempt
    to send a fax results in the error message "Fax server information cannot be
    retrieved. The Fax Wizard will now close." This problem appears to occur
    because the security data base is corrupted as documented here:
    Note that this article describes a hotfix that users can obtain that might
    fix the problem and that Microsoft does NOT recommend simply running the
    Esentutl.exe utility to recover from security database corruption. In
    addition, the fax developers have worked on some modifications to the
    fxsocm.inf file that might permit installation of the fax service. This is
    an unsupported workaround that I can provide offline for use at your own
    risk if you provide a valid email address and can accept zip files as
    attachments.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "kmr" <kmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I have been using my fax from my computer for a long time and then one day
    >it
    > just did not work anymore. So I installed the XP home CD and tried to
    > reinstall my fax and that was horrible. It still does not work and after
    > all
    > the research I have done to try and get it to be fixed, I am led to this
    > conclusion, I get the error that the 'Attempt to connect to the fax
    > printer
    > failed' and then it askes to connect the driver and I do so but nothing
    > happens. When I am in the Fax Console nothing is highlighted and at the
    > bottom of the Colsone it reads 'Refreshing' or 'fax inaccessible'. When I
    > go
    > to fax and the Send FaX Wizard pops up and I click 'Next', nothing happens
    > and then I get an error saying that the program is not responding. I fax
    > alot and I really need your help....thanks a bunch!

    "This is an unsupported workaround that I can provide offline for use at
    your own risk if you provide a valid email address and can accept zip files
    as attachments."

    My email address is jlarsen101161@comcast.net and I can receive zip files.
    Thank you.

    > Your post is too vague to permit any troubleshooting.
    > "One day it just did not work anymore" tells us nothing.
    > How you reinstalled is important.
    >
    > That error message is often seen by users who have updated an older
    > version of Windows XP to SP2 before they try to install the fax service.
    > In these cases there is no error message during the installation
    > (distinguishing this from the very common problem where the installation
    > routine states it cannot find the necessary files). The installation
    > appears to proceed without error, but when it is over there is no fax
    > printer apparent and any attempt to send a fax results in the error
    > message "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will
    > now close." This problem appears to occur because the security data base
    > is corrupted as documented here:
    > Note that this article describes a hotfix that users can obtain that might
    > fix the problem and that Microsoft does NOT recommend simply running the
    > Esentutl.exe utility to recover from security database corruption. In
    > addition, the fax developers have worked on some modifications to the
    > fxsocm.inf file that might permit installation of the fax service. This is
    > an unsupported workaround that I can provide offline for use at your own
    > risk if you provide a valid email address and can accept zip files as
    > attachments.
    >
    > --
    > Russ Valentine
    > [MVP-Outlook]
    > "kmr" <kmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>I have been using my fax from my computer for a long time and then one day
    >>it
    >> just did not work anymore. So I installed the XP home CD and tried to
    >> reinstall my fax and that was horrible. It still does not work and after
    >> all
    >> the research I have done to try and get it to be fixed, I am led to this
    >> conclusion, I get the error that the 'Attempt to connect to the fax
    >> printer
    >> failed' and then it askes to connect the driver and I do so but nothing
    >> happens. When I am in the Fax Console nothing is highlighted and at the
    >> bottom of the Colsone it reads 'Refreshing' or 'fax inaccessible'. When
    >> I go
    >> to fax and the Send FaX Wizard pops up and I click 'Next', nothing
    >> happens
    >> and then I get an error saying that the program is not responding. I fax
    >> alot and I really need your help....thanks a bunch!

    On its way.
    You can just send me your email address next time so you don't have to post
    it in a public newsgroup.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "LarseeBear" <grandpaallen@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > "This is an unsupported workaround that I can provide offline for use at
    > your own risk if you provide a valid email address and can accept zip
    > files as attachments."
    >
    > My email address is jlarsen101161@comcast.net and I can receive zip files.
    > Thank you.
    >
    > "Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]" <russval@gmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Your post is too vague to permit any troubleshooting.
    >> "One day it just did not work anymore" tells us nothing.
    >> How you reinstalled is important.
    >>
    >> That error message is often seen by users who have updated an older
    >> version of Windows XP to SP2 before they try to install the fax service.
    >> In these cases there is no error message during the installation
    >> (distinguishing this from the very common problem where the installation
    >> routine states it cannot find the necessary files). The installation
    >> appears to proceed without error, but when it is over there is no fax
    >> printer apparent and any attempt to send a fax results in the error
    >> message "Fax server information cannot be retrieved. The Fax Wizard will
    >> now close." This problem appears to occur because the security data base
    >> is corrupted as documented here:
    >> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884018/EN-US/
    >> Note that this article describes a hotfix that users can obtain that
    >> might fix the problem and that Microsoft does NOT recommend simply
    >> running the Esentutl.exe utility to recover from security database
    >> corruption. In addition, the fax developers have worked on some
    >> modifications to the fxsocm.inf file that might permit installation of
    >> the fax service. This is an unsupported workaround that I can provide
    >> offline for use at your own risk if you provide a valid email address and
    >> can accept zip files as attachments.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Russ Valentine
    >> [MVP-Outlook]
    >> "kmr" <kmr@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >>>I have been using my fax from my computer for a long time and then one
    >>>day it
    >>> just did not work anymore. So I installed the XP home CD and tried to
    >>> reinstall my fax and that was horrible. It still does not work and
    >>> after all
    >>> the research I have done to try and get it to be fixed, I am led to this
    >>> conclusion, I get the error that the 'Attempt to connect to the fax
    >>> printer
    >>> failed' and then it askes to connect the driver and I do so but nothing
    >>> happens. When I am in the Fax Console nothing is highlighted and at the
    >>> bottom of the Colsone it reads 'Refreshing' or 'fax inaccessible'. When
    >>> I go
    >>> to fax and the Send FaX Wizard pops up and I click 'Next', nothing
    >>> happens
    >>> and then I get an error saying that the program is not responding. I
    >>> fax
    >>> alot and I really need your help....thanks a bunch!

    Thanks for sending the .inf files but that still didn't work. Anyone else
    have any solutions?

    Send me a detailed account of what you did and what happened.
    "Didn't work" doesn't help us much.
    --
    > Thanks for sending the .inf files but that still didn't work. Anyone else
    > have any solutions?

    I followed your instructions implicitly. There was no difference in my file
    fxsocm.inf and the one you sent me. So I used the fxsocm_modified.inf you
    sent for that contingency. Tried add/remove again and got the same copy
    error. So I rebooted and tried add/remove again-again the same copy error.
    So I put my original file fxsocm.inf back in the i386 folder as if nothing
    had happened.

    These were your instructions attendant with the zip attachment:

    I'm attaching a zip file here called faxocm.zip. This zip file contains two
    inf files: (a) fxsocm.inf & (b) fxsocm_modified.inf

    The first thing you need to do is compare your fxsocm.inf with (a) above and
    see if there are any differences, especially in the security line. If there
    is any difference, you can replace your fxsocm.inf with this file and try
    setting up fax.

    If there is no difference, you can then use the (b) file. All they've done
    there is remove the security section for the [Faxsvc.Service]. You can
    rename fxsocm_modified.inf file to fxsocm.inf and copy this over your
    existing fxsocm.inf and then try to setup the fax service. This will not set
    the ACE specifically on the fax service object (instead it picks the Windows
    default) and hence installation will most likely go through.

    In the above operations, you need to ensure that "Windows Resource
    Protection" is not replacing back the fxsocm.inf file with the file from the
    original Windows XP CD during the installation.

    I want to emphasize that this is still trying a work-around and the root
    problem still exists. I expect the you to face the same setup problem with
    some other services too - because most service will try "setting up ACE" for
    the service object. This problem most likely lies outside fax.

    Last point I want to mention is that if using fxsocm_modified.inf file
    solves the problem, this is not opening any big security holes.

    Russ Valentine

    Same "copy error?"
    You are not dealing with the same problem at all.
    Read the first post. You problem does not match.
    --
    >I followed your instructions implicitly. There was no difference in my
    >file fxsocm.inf and the one you sent me. So I used the fxsocm_modified.inf
    >you sent for that contingency. Tried add/remove again and got the same
    >copy error. So I rebooted and tried add/remove again-again the same copy
    >error. So I put my original file fxsocm.inf back in the i386 folder as if
    >nothing had happened.
    >
    > These were your instructions attendant with the zip attachment:
    >
    > I'm attaching a zip file here called faxocm.zip. This zip file contains
    > two inf files: (a) fxsocm.inf & (b) fxsocm_modified.inf
    >
    > The first thing you need to do is compare your fxsocm.inf with (a) above
    > and see if there are any differences, especially in the security line. If
    > there is any difference, you can replace your fxsocm.inf with this file
    > and try setting up fax.
    >
    > If there is no difference, you can then use the (b) file. All they've done
    > there is remove the security section for the [Faxsvc.Service]. You can
    > rename fxsocm_modified.inf file to fxsocm.inf and copy this over your
    > existing fxsocm.inf and then try to setup the fax service. This will not
    > set the ACE specifically on the fax service object (instead it picks the
    > Windows default) and hence installation will most likely go through.
    >
    > In the above operations, you need to ensure that "Windows Resource
    > Protection" is not replacing back the fxsocm.inf file with the file from
    > the original Windows XP CD during the installation.
    >
    > I want to emphasize that this is still trying a work-around and the root
    > problem still exists. I expect the you to face the same setup problem with
    > some other services too - because most service will try "setting up ACE"
    > for the service object. This problem most likely lies outside fax.
    >
    > Last point I want to mention is that if using fxsocm_modified.inf file
    > solves the problem, this is not opening any big security holes.
    >
    > Russ Valentine

  8. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    I am desperate and that's why I asked for any solution at all. Again, thank
    you for sending me those zipped .inf files. Anyone else have a solution to
    my problem??????

    This is a copy of my 7/22 thread:

    When I try to add Fax Services as an XP Home SP 2 windows component in the
    add/remove control panel, I get a prompt for file fxsapi.dll. I can see the
    file in C:\Windows\Service Pack Files\i386 but this setup routine says it
    can't find it even when I point it to it. After I hit retry many times I try
    the other solution it asks for- which is to insert the windows xp home
    service pack 2 CD-ROM. I do that and it says it can't find the file on the
    CD either.

    I've also tried removing MSN and it says it can't find certain files to
    remove MSN either. What is corrupted? Service Pack 2? I have 3 other XP
    computers and never had this problem before.

    When I point it to C:\windows\system32\ , I receive the same copy error box
    which says "Setup cannot copy the file fxsapi.dll"

    "Ensure the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert
    "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD" in the drive you specify"- so I
    put in the CD and it still can't read the file which is on the CD as plain
    as day. ;(

    Copy files from:
    "C:\Windows\system32\"

    And my choices are "Retry" "Cancel" or "Browse" {I see the file fxsapi.dll
    in that system32 folder, yet it won't copy it for some reason when I keep
    hitting "Retry")

    When I do a search, I have 4 occurances of fxsapi.dll:
    a. C:\Windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
    b. C:\Windows\LastGood\system32\fxsapi.dll
    c. C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\fxsapi.dll
    d C:\Windows\\system32\dllcache\fxsapi.dll

    I point the copy error box to each of these 4 fxsapi.dll files and it still
    says it can't copy them.

    I have a folder called C:\Windows\Software Distribution with 6 sub-folders
    in it but no instance of fxsapi.dll in any of the 6 sub-folders.
  9. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax (More info?)

    Problems like this must be solved by the OEM because they have to do with
    the original source of the installation files for your operating system.
    There is no way for anyone here to solve them. That's why your post went
    unanswered.
    Joining a thread that is discussing a completely different problem and
    trying that solution is unwise indeed.
    --
    >I am desperate and that's why I asked for any solution at all. Again, thank
    >you for sending me those zipped .inf files. Anyone else have a solution to
    >my problem??????
    >
    > This is a copy of my 7/22 thread:
    >
    > When I try to add Fax Services as an XP Home SP 2 windows component in the
    > add/remove control panel, I get a prompt for file fxsapi.dll. I can see
    > the file in C:\Windows\Service Pack Files\i386 but this setup routine says
    > it can't find it even when I point it to it. After I hit retry many times
    > I try the other solution it asks for- which is to insert the windows xp
    > home service pack 2 CD-ROM. I do that and it says it can't find the file
    > on the CD either.
    >
    > I've also tried removing MSN and it says it can't find certain files to
    > remove MSN either. What is corrupted? Service Pack 2? I have 3 other XP
    > computers and never had this problem before.
    >
    > When I point it to C:\windows\system32\ , I receive the same copy error
    > box which says "Setup cannot copy the file fxsapi.dll"
    >
    > "Ensure the location specified below is correct, or change it and insert
    > "Windows XP Home Edition Service Pack 2 CD" in the drive you specify"- so
    > I put in the CD and it still can't read the file which is on the CD as
    > plain as day. ;(
    >
    > Copy files from:
    > "C:\Windows\system32\"
    >
    > And my choices are "Retry" "Cancel" or "Browse" {I see the file fxsapi.dll
    > in that system32 folder, yet it won't copy it for some reason when I keep
    > hitting "Retry")
    >
    > When I do a search, I have 4 occurances of fxsapi.dll:
    > a. C:\Windows\system32\fxsapi.dll
    > b. C:\Windows\LastGood\system32\fxsapi.dll
    > c. C:\Windows\ServicePackFiles\i386\fxsapi.dll
    > d C:\Windows\\system32\dllcache\fxsapi.dll
    >
    > I point the copy error box to each of these 4 fxsapi.dll files and it
    > still says it can't copy them.
    >
    > I have a folder called C:\Windows\Software Distribution with 6 sub-folders
    > in it but no instance of fxsapi.dll in any of the 6 sub-folders.

Fax Connection Windows XP