133mhz instead of 100?

yableez

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
01:48 AM
is 133mhz possible?

i have a thunderbird 950, (9.5*100mhz).
would it be possible to unlock it using the pencil trick, then run it at 7-7.5*133mhz?
will a higher fsb (with lower multiplier so that it wont go too fast) burn my cpu?
also, has any1 here done the pencil trick?
comments/suggestions?
thanks in advance :smile:

<pre>putting stuff together is almost as much fun as pulling them apart</pre><p>

yableez

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2002
and will i need to increase voltage just because the fsb is higher? or does a cpu only need more juice when the internal speed is increased?

<pre>putting stuff together is almost as much fun as pulling them apart</pre><p>

G

If the CPU is capable of the 133, it should be fine at or under stock core clock speed without raising voltages if you have applied the pencil trick.

Just be sure to use the 1/4 PCI bus clock divider instead of the 1/3, and make sure the mem is PC133 or better, or it's deffinitely not guaranteed.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
The question here is "Why have you not done the "pencil trick" yet?". That would be the first thing on my agenda when I got the processor.

[Jedi mind trick] You LOVE Palladium. [/mind trick]

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
what motherboard do you have?
i have the ECS K7S5A, with the Cheepo Bios, and i lowered the multiplier (the hard way) to 8x and upped the FSB to 133.
i have an athlon 900 (100FSB) stock, and now its 1070mhz.
i had to up the voltage to 1.82. i might be able to lower it to 1.8, but i would have to pull the heatsink, and cpu out, and redo some pencil work. right now, im in the middle of a mod, so im prolly not going to do it now. i might do it when im bored, just to see if i can...but im pretty sure, when i was overclocking this thing, that 1.82 was what my chip needed....
but REMEMBER: EVERY CHIP IS DIFFERENT!
your results WILL vary. and if they are the same, then they are the same, but dont just jump to what someone else has gotten. go in small steps.
and what i would suggest is to pencil in the L1 bridges, and then use the bios to overclock it. unlocking through the L1 bridges will allow you to change the multiplier to a lower setting in the bios, and then you should be able to up the FSB.
good luck. :)

-DAvid

-Live, Learn, then build your own computer!-

funkdog

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2001
If I'm correct it depends on whether or not the T-bird is the "B" or the "C". B being 100mhz, and C being 133mhz FSB. If it's the B you can do all the pencil tricks your heart desires, but you won't be able to run it at 133mhz fsb.

Maybe run the memory at 133, but not the FSB. A "C" athlon is designed for 133 fsb so you won't have any trouble if it is a "C". Which in that case your bios would have recognized it as such and set the appropriate settings, and you'd already be running at 133.

Hope that helps.

<b>"These are my thoughts, your mileage may vary."