Can I use my LAN connection for the XP Fax Service

Could you please tell me if I can send faxes in XP using my DSL local area
network connection. In other words do I need to select my 56k modem for the
fax device when configuring the fax service or can I opt to use my LAN
connection instead. I'm running a workgroup LAN and have a DSL connection to
the internet. If it is possible, could you please let me know or how to set
it up.

Thanks
2 answers Last reply
More about connection service

    Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
    phone lines and analog fax modems. Accordingly, no fax software will
    function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
    obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
    line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]
    "Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could you please tell me if I can send faxes in XP using my DSL local area
    > network connection. In other words do I need to select my 56k modem for
    > the
    > fax device when configuring the fax service or can I opt to use my LAN
    > connection instead. I'm running a workgroup LAN and have a DSL connection
    > the internet. If it is possible, could you please let me know or how to
    > set
    > it up.
    >
    > Thanks

    Martin

    Use your 56k modem.. cable it through a filter to your telephone line.. when
    setting up fax, your fax number is your home phone (obviously)

    --
    Mike Hall
    MVP - Windows Shell/User

    "Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Could you please tell me if I can send faxes in XP using my DSL local area
    > network connection. In other words do I need to select my 56k modem for
    > the
    > fax device when configuring the fax service or can I opt to use my LAN
    > connection instead. I'm running a workgroup LAN and have a DSL connection
    > the internet. If it is possible, could you please let me know or how to
    > set
    > it up.
    >
    > Thanks

LAN Connection Fax Windows XP