Can I use my LAN connection for the XP Fax Service

July 22, 2005 5:06:02 PM

Could you please tell me if I can send faxes in XP using my DSL local area
network connection. In other words do I need to select my 56k modem for the
fax device when configuring the fax service or can I opt to use my LAN
connection instead. I'm running a workgroup LAN and have a DSL connection to
the internet. If it is possible, could you please let me know or how to set
it up.

Thanks
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 7:13:30 PM

Many users don't realize that faxing is a function that can only use analog
phone lines and analog fax modems. Accordingly, no fax software will
function with cable modems or DSL lines. With some DSL connections you can
obtain a DSL line filter suitable for connecting a standard analog voice
line to the DSL line and can then connect an analog fax modem to that line.

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Martin Healy" <MartinHealy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Could you please tell me if I can send faxes in XP using my DSL local area
> network connection. In other words do I need to select my 56k modem for
> the
> fax device when configuring the fax service or can I opt to use my LAN
> connection instead. I'm running a workgroup LAN and have a DSL connection
> the internet. If it is possible, could you please let me know or how to
> set
> it up.
>
> Thanks
Anonymous
July 22, 2005 8:12:44 PM

Martin

Use your 56k modem.. cable it through a filter to your telephone line.. when
setting up fax, your fax number is your home phone (obviously)

--
Mike Hall
MVP - Windows Shell/User

!