Sufficient cooling for P4 2.53ghz overclocking

Daikaiju

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
I am in the process of upgrading my system to a 2.53ghz P4 and my curiosity regarding overclocking is getting the better of me. I don't intend to overclock by much, i'd be happy to get it running at 2.8-2.9ghz. My question is, will my setup provide enough cooling to be able to overclock safely? I plan to get the Gigabyte GA-8PE667 motherboard, will be using the stock HSF that comes with the processor and will be using my current case which has an Enermax 450watt dual fan PSU and a rear case fan. Will 2.9ghz be achievable with this setup, or could i manage to break the 3ghz barrier?
Thanks in advance....

bitemenavy

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2002
I'm looking at doing the same thing you are, but I'm looking at a higher rate of OC'ing. I read an article earlier about how Tom and his guys OC'ed a P4 2.0 Ghz at over 3Ghz, but they had to water cool the system. With the cost of the equip involved, I would rather be safe than sorry

Daikaiju

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2002
Due to lack of funds and availability of the 845PE boards in my area, i had to change my motherboard to an Aopen AX4G Pro. I dont think it will overclock as well as the 845PE board, but i'm still looking to overclock to around 2.8ghz, i'd be extremely happy with that. I currently have the processor and ram (512meg Samsung PC2700 DDR) and will be getting the motherboard either tomorrow or Thursday, so i will let you know how it goes.