Valve Announces ''Big Picture'' Mode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Steam is coming the the den and bedroom TV? I'm pretty sure if that was typed in Word, it would give you a red squigly line under it.

As for this BP mode, it sounds like a fantastic addition to Steam. Can't wait to see it in action.

G

"Our partners"

"gaming opportunities for Steam partners"

"Steam Microtransactions launched late last year within Team Fortress 2. An in-game economy can now be readily created by partners"

"partners get up and running with their own in-game economies"

Let the nickel and diming being.

dco

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2010
This new feature will offer controller support and navigation designed for televisions, allowing Steam gamers to enjoy their library "on more screens throughout the house."

I don't get it. So is this cloud based gaming via TV's with internet connectivity to steam using a controller?

[citation][nom]Stryter[/nom]Steam is coming the the den and bedroom TV? I'm pretty sure if that was typed in Word, it would give you a red squigly line under it.As for this BP mode, it sounds like a fantastic addition to Steam. Can't wait to see it in action.[/citation]

In fact it does! Word 2007 put a red squiggly under the second "the" when I copy/pasted it into Word. :)

torque79

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2006
I havent played tf2 in a while... there's an in-game economy where you buy stuff with real money? why would you do that? do people paying more get more powerful? obviously I havent played TF2 in a while, but this is a slippery slope of badness, encouraging developers to make horribly boring intial character skins etc so you have to pay for what should be in the game already.

MxM

Distinguished
May 23, 2005
[citation][nom]torque79[/nom]I havent played tf2 in a while... there's an in-game economy where you buy stuff with real money? why would you do that? do people paying more get more powerful? obviously I havent played TF2 in a while, but this is a slippery slope of badness, encouraging developers to make horribly boring intial character skins etc so you have to pay for what should be in the game already.[/citation]
I think it is implemented quite well. You do not need to buy anything, you still will find most of items that are "performance changers", but you can take a shortcut, but more importantly, most of the items there are things like hats.
However, even with the items that do change the class capabilities, they are not over powered and more a class tweak to fit your stile. The base class is as good as the modified class. It is like instead of just solder class, you now have solder 1, solder 2 and so on. Brings more variety without being imbalance.

Plus, I personally want to thank Valve team for continues improvement of the game, and thank them with my money. So it is great that I can "donate" them money, and get something in return, even if this is some silly hat.

tidex

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2010
[citation][nom]torque79[/nom]I havent played tf2 in a while... there's an in-game economy where you buy stuff with real money? why would you do that? do people paying more get more powerful? obviously I havent played TF2 in a while, but this is a slippery slope of badness, encouraging developers to make horribly boring intial character skins etc so you have to pay for what should be in the game already.[/citation]

Its fine right now. None of the store items give you a huge advantage, there are the set advantages but the hats that go with them are craftable making them easy to get. The hats and items are overpriced, this is true, but theres nothing stopping you from getting them normally. I still think the hat craze and bundles are getting annoying though.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Indeed. After playing around with many combinations of weapons I ended up using the classes with the stock weapons mostly. Only a few items like the equalizer, jarate, axtinguisher and others are equiped right now.
Really, the base class is sometimes even better than the modified stats.

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]dco[/nom]I don't get it. So is this cloud based gaming via TV's with internet connectivity to steam using a controller?[/citation]

This might be Steams attempt at destroying Onlive, which it WILL and CAN do if it even so much as slight attempts it. Onlive licks balls. Steam would destroy it if it competed.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
We'll know the big deal once they release it. Oh hell I use my PS3 sixaxis on my computer for everything, from media playback, to browsing the internet, to replacing the WASD cluster. It's nothing new in itself, but it'll certainly make things easier (and possibly more exciting) for newbies like myself. Plus, given the fact at how nicely Valve packages and gets things out simply to the customer, it should be very sweet.

And for the TF2 economy, I must say that it is very well implemented. Cheap bastardos like me don't have to buy a damn thing to still be competitive and enjoy the game. Not like the CoD Series, where you buy the latest game to end up with a never fully completed product replaced the next year with a new game you buy. TF2's been kicking for years, but it's perpetually updated. If you want to spend the money, then you can as well! In fact the only thing I've bought is a support stamp to support some map developers. Haven't bought an item as yet. :)

Looking very forward to this, and to find out what a PS3T is myself.

Status
Not open for further replies.