Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Hi

I have a home network connected to the web via DSL, a freeware Sygate
Firewall and a Proxy server. I can access the web fine using IE and can
browse web pages. The firewall/proxy are installed on the machine connected
to the internet. I have two other machines connected via a lan.

These two other machines can access the web via IE but I can't get gaming
(nor MSN Messanger) working on them and here I'm getting a bit out of my
depth.

I believe the game (Jedi Outcast) supports socks5 and I've an entry in the
proxy server to pass through socks5 on port 1080. But I've really no idea
what I need to do to the firewall to permit this through. I've set up a rule
to permit udp on local and remote port 1080.

But what other things are there to consider/do

Any pointers would be gratefully received

Simon

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

If it is a game, there is most likely a tcp port you need as well. A
google search should find it for you.

On Wed, 5 May 2004 20:08:41 +0100, "Simon Woods"
<simonjDELETEwoodsTHESE@hotmailCAPITALS.com> wrote:

>Hi
>
>I have a home network connected to the web via DSL, a freeware Sygate
>Firewall and a Proxy server. I can access the web fine using IE and can
>browse web pages. The firewall/proxy are installed on the machine connected
>to the internet. I have two other machines connected via a lan.
>
>These two other machines can access the web via IE but I can't get gaming
>(nor MSN Messanger) working on them and here I'm getting a bit out of my
>depth.
>
>I believe the game (Jedi Outcast) supports socks5 and I've an entry in the
>proxy server to pass through socks5 on port 1080. But I've really no idea
>what I need to do to the firewall to permit this through. I've set up a rule
>to permit udp on local and remote port 1080.
>
>But what other things are there to consider/do
>
>Any pointers would be gratefully received
>
>Simon

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Thanks Michael and Gremlin

I've found out that I need to open up several other ports to get this game
working.

2 Questions

1) My firewall allows me to specify local or remote ports ---- which am I
opening up?

2) Do I need an entry for each port I'm opening up in my proxy server as
well. My firewall permits me to set up ports for TCP/UDP etc but the proxy
permits ports specified against HTTP/Socks/POP etc so it seems to be working
at a different level. Would I add each port as a Socks port in the proxy?

Thanks again

Simon

"Michael Sherman" <please@ask.com> wrote in message
> If it is a game, there is most likely a tcp port you need as well. A
> google search should find it for you.
>
> On Wed, 5 May 2004 20:08:41 +0100, "Simon Woods"
> <simonjDELETEwoodsTHESE@hotmailCAPITALS.com> wrote:
>
> >Hi
> >
> >I have a home network connected to the web via DSL, a freeware Sygate
> >Firewall and a Proxy server. I can access the web fine using IE and can
> >browse web pages. The firewall/proxy are installed on the machine
connected
> >to the internet. I have two other machines connected via a lan.
> >
> >These two other machines can access the web via IE but I can't get gaming
> >(nor MSN Messanger) working on them and here I'm getting a bit out of my
> >depth.
> >
> >I believe the game (Jedi Outcast) supports socks5 and I've an entry in
the
> >proxy server to pass through socks5 on port 1080. But I've really no idea
> >what I need to do to the firewall to permit this through. I've set up a
rule
> >to permit udp on local and remote port 1080.
> >
> >But what other things are there to consider/do
> >
> >Any pointers would be gratefully received
> >
> >Simon

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

You will want to use local ports.

Should only need to open these in your firewall, unless you are
proxying this connection off your proxy server.

On Thu, 6 May 2004 06:31:30 +0100, "Simon Woods"
<simonjDELETEwoodsTHESE@hotmailCAPITALS.com> wrote:

>Thanks Michael and Gremlin
>
>I've found out that I need to open up several other ports to get this game
>working.
>
>2 Questions
>
>1) My firewall allows me to specify local or remote ports ---- which am I
>opening up?
>
>2) Do I need an entry for each port I'm opening up in my proxy server as
>well. My firewall permits me to set up ports for TCP/UDP etc but the proxy
>permits ports specified against HTTP/Socks/POP etc so it seems to be working
>at a different level. Would I add each port as a Socks port in the proxy?
>
>Thanks again
>
>Simon
>

>"Michael Sherman" <please@ask.com> wrote in message
>> If it is a game, there is most likely a tcp port you need as well. A
>> google search should find it for you.
>>
>> On Wed, 5 May 2004 20:08:41 +0100, "Simon Woods"
>> <simonjDELETEwoodsTHESE@hotmailCAPITALS.com> wrote:
>>
>> >Hi
>> >
>> >I have a home network connected to the web via DSL, a freeware Sygate
>> >Firewall and a Proxy server. I can access the web fine using IE and can
>> >browse web pages. The firewall/proxy are installed on the machine
>connected
>> >to the internet. I have two other machines connected via a lan.
>> >
>> >These two other machines can access the web via IE but I can't get gaming
>> >(nor MSN Messanger) working on them and here I'm getting a bit out of my
>> >depth.
>> >
>> >I believe the game (Jedi Outcast) supports socks5 and I've an entry in
>the
>> >proxy server to pass through socks5 on port 1080. But I've really no idea
>> >what I need to do to the firewall to permit this through. I've set up a
>rule
>> >to permit udp on local and remote port 1080.
>> >
>> >But what other things are there to consider/do
>> >
>> >Any pointers would be gratefully received
>> >
>> >Simon

Archived from groups: comp.security.firewalls,uk.comp.home-networking (More info?)

Michael ... thanks for all this ... in-line

> You will want to use local ports.
>
> Should only need to open these in your firewall, unless you are
> proxying this connection off your proxy server.

Just for my own understanding and clarification then ...

1) I only have one broadband connection on my home network ...
2) All internet access is through this connection
3) I've a Proxy Server making this connection available to my LAN

.... so if the game is communicating with various servers in cyberspace on
these specific ports, I assume I need to open each port through my proxy
server. Is this correct?

Also is UDP 'carried' in the Socks protocol (if it is a protocol?), as my
proxy gives me the options to proxy (open?) specific ports for specific
protocols (e.g. http, pop, smtp, socks, ftp, socks). So am I right to assume
that Socks wraps UDP?

Thanks once again for all your time/help

Simon