must replace MSI KT333 Ultra ARU northbridge fan

mdelagra

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002
Hi all,

My chipset fan has started to make noise when I start up my computer, and from what I've read it sounds like a bearing has given out. I've put together several personal systems in the past, but I've never had to replace a chipset fan. Does anyone know what I need for this particular mobo? Links to specific products would be fantastic.

I don't care too much about form, just function, ease of install, and availability. Also, has anyone replaced the chipset fan on this particular mobo? Is it pretty easy?

Thanks,
- Morgan

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
1) It’s very easy to do.
2) You don’t need a fan unless overclocking higher than 185-190 Mhz FSB.
3) You only need to put a heatsink with some thermal paste and THAT’s IT. I have the MSI KT3 Ultra (not ARU) working at 170 MHz and it comes with a very small heatsink.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

mdelagra

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2002
That's cool. I run at a standard 133 mhz FSB I think, nothing fancy. I'd actually prefer to get a fan, since I have the plug for it, but only if I can find a nice fan that will last at least a year.

So, can anybody post some links for a good fan and/or heatsink? I'm not familiar with chipset fans, I don't know if the fan diameter, mount size etc. vary from chipset to chipset or not. Also, something that I might find on the shelf at places like MicroCenter or Best Buy would be a real bonus.

- Morgan

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Can anyone recommend a heatsink? I'm assuming that I'll have to use thermal epoxy, or is there some other way to attach it to the chip? I have the same board except that it is the ultra2 and that chipset fan is the loudest and highest pitched of all the fans in my system.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
What I normally do is to buy an old K6 or PII heatsink (US$ 4 to 10) and then just cut them with a metal saw.

Then you can glueit with thermal epoxy or thermal paste and a drop of epoxy in every corner

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>