I have a customer that has an HP DeskJet 3847 connected via USB cable to her
workstation (XP Pro). I've added an HP LaserJet 2840 to their network. She
wants the HP 2840 (network printer) to be the default printer. However, every
time the computer reboots, the default printer is switched back to the USB
connected deskjet. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling, downloading new
drivers, talking to HP, and KB# 271257 (setting the default printer using the
registry). so far, nothing has worked. I would very much appreciate any
suggestions anyone may have regarding this.

Rob Power
e-mail: rpower26(removethis)@hotmail.com

GTS

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2003

This may be due to a delay in finding the network printer at startup causing
Windows to revert to the available local printer as default. Try changing
the "Always wait for the network at computer startup and logon" Group Policy
setting. This may well some increase in boot time as the trade off.

See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304970 This
addresses a slightly different issue but explains this policy setting
clearly.

I'd be interested in knowing how this turns out for you.