Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Upset farmers in Rathe

Last response: in Video Games
Share
Anonymous
August 11, 2005 8:21:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the changes,
first to Grobb, then to Rathe.

As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like all they
did was point to an older version of the zone file. The Carver is back, the
dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood on the steps is back ... all
seems to be as it was. From a maintenance standpoint it makes sense, but
from a game standpoint it seems a bit lacking given what all is supposed to
have happened there.

Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone. In the
process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:

"Where are the HGs?"

"WTF?"

"Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"

As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.

Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a track ..
not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that matter.

To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an understatement. :-P

Crash

More about : upset farmers rathe

Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:40:11 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
news:1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga:

> With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the
> changes, first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
>
> As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like all
> they did was point to an older version of the zone file. The Carver
> is back, the dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood on the
> steps is back ... all seems to be as it was. From a maintenance
> standpoint it makes sense, but from a game standpoint it seems a bit
> lacking given what all is supposed to have happened there.
>
> Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone. In
> the process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
>
> "Where are the HGs?"
>
> "WTF?"
>
> "Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
>
> As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
>
> Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a
> track .. not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that
> matter.
>
> To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an
> understatement. :-P
>

I'll try to contain my disappointment...

There, done.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 1:40:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Graeme Faelban" wrote:
> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
> news:1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga:
>
>> With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the
>> changes, first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
>>
>> As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like all
>> they did was point to an older version of the zone file. The Carver
>> is back, the dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood on the
>> steps is back ... all seems to be as it was. From a maintenance
>> standpoint it makes sense, but from a game standpoint it seems a bit
>> lacking given what all is supposed to have happened there.
>>
>> Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone. In
>> the process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
>>
>> "Where are the HGs?"
>>
>> "WTF?"
>>
>> "Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
>>
>> As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
>>
>> Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a
>> track .. not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that
>> matter.
>>
>> To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an
>> understatement. :-P
>>
>
> I'll try to contain my disappointment...
>
> There, done.

Interestingly enough, that was my attitude as well. I thoroughly enjoyed
telling the zone that there were no giants on track.

One thought though. I wonder where will the tainted/corrupted pop if the
HGs have been removed from Rathe.

Crash
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:13:01 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <Xns96AF9F662D29Erichardrapiernetscap@130.133.1.4>,
Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> wrote:
>> To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an
>> understatement. :-P
>I'll try to contain my disappointment...
>

Well, one bad thing is that when they changed research so that
you couldn't train it to 200 about the only place to get giant toes
and blunt fine steel to make advanced runes was... Rathe Mountains...
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 2:13:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

I am working on my druids epic and I am on the step of collecting the
parts around antonica. Where the hell am I going to find the HG I need
now.....

__________________________________________________________
Submitted by: Vidden
This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 3:43:58 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Vidden" <Vidden.1tmfk1@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote in message
news:Vidden.1tmfk1@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com...
>
> I am working on my druids epic and I am on the step of collecting the
> parts around antonica. Where the hell am I going to find the HG I need
> now.....
>

Hill giants also spawn in North karana, east karana, west karana, west
commons, and theres one in ocean of tears.
The tainted/corrupted didnt spawn there before, but maybe he does now.
I'd start with east karana or west commons.
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:53:10 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 11 Aug 2005 17:05:06 -0700, "Negloid" <negloid@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Not per person they don't, but as a whole they do. A good farmer will
>get close to or more than 1k an hour in Rathe. I can't remember the
>last time I ever got anywhere near that from a group split after
>several hours of XPing. The entire group might get that much... But
>of course when you consider how many more people are out killing stuff
>in those less-profitable zones the influx of money there is definitely
>more substantial.

PoJ basement have netted me upward of 2.5k/hour plus aa xp. If you
put the diamond and blue diamond in barter you can get even more easy.

A 6 hours grind there with a sk for tank, shammy for slow and heals,
and my beast for DPS gotten us a little over 15k total plus 3 aa
points each toon to spend. This was before JC limit went to 300 and
basement were often visited only by those looking to get flags or 7th
hammer.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:14:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

9Crash86" wrote:
> With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the changes,
> first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
<snip>
> Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a track
...
> not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that matter.
>
> To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an understatement.
:-P
>
> Crash

I, for one, am happy to have mobs back in Kelethin. The newbie armor quest
was ..er.. unquestable without them.

~Deborah~

Maelin Starpyre:
Rhowyn <Epic Dawn> - Level 14 / Wood Elf / Druid

Bristlebane:
Kentigern Fyrebear - Level 39/ Barbarian / Shaman
Vaerity Trueheart - Level 29 / Gnome / Paladin
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:57:37 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
news:WDPKe.26292$Tt6.8479@fe04.lga:

> "Graeme Faelban" wrote:
>> "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com> wrote in
>> news:1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga:
>>
>>> With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the
>>> changes, first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
>>>
>>> As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like all
>>> they did was point to an older version of the zone file. The Carver
>>> is back, the dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood on the
>>> steps is back ... all seems to be as it was. From a maintenance
>>> standpoint it makes sense, but from a game standpoint it seems a bit
>>> lacking given what all is supposed to have happened there.
>>>
>>> Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone. In
>>> the process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
>>>
>>> "Where are the HGs?"
>>>
>>> "WTF?"
>>>
>>> "Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
>>>
>>> As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
>>>
>>> Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a
>>> track .. not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that
>>> matter.
>>>
>>> To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an
>>> understatement. :-P
>>>
>>
>> I'll try to contain my disappointment...
>>
>> There, done.
>
> Interestingly enough, that was my attitude as well. I thoroughly
> enjoyed telling the zone that there were no giants on track.
>
> One thought though. I wonder where will the tainted/corrupted pop if
> the HGs have been removed from Rathe.
>

A guildie was there visiting the new frog tent city, and hit track, the
tainted was up along with other HGs, I think in the far north of the
zone.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:58:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:48 -0500, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
wrote:

>To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an understatement. :-P

Awww, they'll just have to get their sorry backsides out somewhere
else and do some work now, bless them! Poor babies :) 



Palindrome
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 5:58:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"Vladesch" <vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote in news:2pRKe.81340
$oJ.32139@news-server.bigpond.net.au:

> "Vidden" <Vidden.1tmfk1@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> wrote in message
> news:Vidden.1tmfk1@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com...
>>
>> I am working on my druids epic and I am on the step of collecting the
>> parts around antonica. Where the hell am I going to find the HG I need
>> now.....
>
> Hill giants also spawn in North karana, east karana, west karana, west
> commons, and theres one in ocean of tears.
> The tainted/corrupted didnt spawn there before, but maybe he does now.
> I'd start with east karana or west commons.
>

Tainted still spawns in Rathe Mountains, as do other HGs.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 6:09:02 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:47:55 GMT, "Vladesch"
<vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote:

>As well as that, I dont think the RM giants were really a large part of the
>influx of money.

Very true. Having read a thread that postulated incomes in the
thousands generated by Hill Giants, I felt it was a bit exaggerated
based on personal recollection, and went back with a 55 Beastlord. To
chew through them unstoppably, I had Virtue, KEI and a pet equipped
with pet toys. Interestingly, for a Saturday afternoon (UK time) I
was the only person in the zone.

Slaughtering anythng that might be a placeholder and killing the
giants non-stop (no medding needed, actually) I made about 1k in two
hours. (I stopped and left at this point as a couple of people
arrived with characters of a level who suited the zone) This justifies
the claim of several k plat per day, but that was in absolutely ideal
conditions, where I had every giant to myself. I seriously doubt
anyone would get mega-rich there before they died of boredom or
couldn't get sufficient giants because of other farmers..

>The gems and other valuable vendor items that drop in common high level xp
>zones would massively outweigh any contribution from hill giants.

Agreed, but many farmers are just too scared to risk their asses to
get better loot. Heh, I saw a 70 Necro and a 67 Warrior in there one
day, hunting as a pair - personally, I'd have been ashamed to be seen
"dumpster-diving" in that manner with characters that high in level
:D 


Palindrome
Anonymous
August 12, 2005 10:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:48 -0500 in
<1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga>, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
graced the world with this thought:

>With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the changes,
>first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
>
>As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like all they
>did was point to an older version of the zone file. The Carver is back, the
>dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood on the steps is back ... all
>seems to be as it was. From a maintenance standpoint it makes sense, but
>from a game standpoint it seems a bit lacking given what all is supposed to
>have happened there.
>
>Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone. In the
>process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
>
>"Where are the HGs?"
>
>"WTF?"
>
>"Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
>
>As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
>
>Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a track ..
>not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that matter.
>
>To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an understatement. :-P
>
>Crash
>
Damn, now where people go to call each other names and act like two
year olds?
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:04:42 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> writes:
> Very true. Having read a thread that postulated incomes in the
> thousands generated by Hill Giants, I felt it was a bit exaggerated
> based on personal recollection, and went back with a 55 Beastlord. To
> chew through them unstoppably, I had Virtue, KEI and a pet equipped
> with pet toys. Interestingly, for a Saturday afternoon (UK time) I
> was the only person in the zone.
>
> Slaughtering anythng that might be a placeholder and killing the
> giants non-stop (no medding needed, actually) I made about 1k in two
> hours.

That seems low. When I had the zone to myself as a low fifties monk,
I was making about 700-900 per hour, solo. That includes all the fine
steel weapons and other vendor junk (but not stuff like bone chips or
lambent stones, which I later sold in the bazaar). Just be sure to
have lots of WR bags (a tradeskill trophy is good for summoning those).

In any case, I agree it's not the largest contribution of plat to the
EQ economy, but it's certainly a good place for people who need plat
around level 50.

Still, I can see why SOE removed the giants, given that they've made
Rathe Mtns a newbie zone for the time being. The froggie guards can
probably deal with the occasional giant skeleton or cyclops (which can
still be found in some parts of the zone), but a train of hill giants
to the froggie tent city could be a bit overwhelming for lowbies.

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 56 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 52 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 21 on E. Marr
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 12:08:02 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Graeme Faelban <RichardRapier@netscape.net> writes:
> A guildie was there visiting the new frog tent city, and hit track, the
> tainted was up along with other HGs, I think in the far north of the
> zone.

I passed through with my last night just to look, but didn't spot
them. But I probably never got close enough to the northern end
of the zone. (Checked from Feerott ZL, the original HG hill, the
froggie city, and succor point.)

-- Don.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
-- See the a.g.e/EQ1 FAQ at http://www.iCynic.com/~don/EQ/age.faq.htm
--
-- Sukrasisx, Monk 56 on E. Marr Note: If you reply by mail,
-- Terrwini, Druid 52 on E. Marr I'll get to it sooner if you
-- Wizbeau, Wizard 36 on E. Marr remove the "hyphen n s"
-- Teviron, Knight 21 on E. Marr
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 2:41:30 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:09:02 +0100 in
<q97pf11fvjvph7h1i425kq5ti1kr07sa3c@4ax.com>, Palindrome
<damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 23:47:55 GMT, "Vladesch"
><vladeschxxxx@bigxxxxxpond.net.auxxx> wrote:
>
>>As well as that, I dont think the RM giants were really a large part of the
>>influx of money.
>
>Very true. Having read a thread that postulated incomes in the
>thousands generated by Hill Giants, I felt it was a bit exaggerated
>based on personal recollection, and went back with a 55 Beastlord. To
>chew through them unstoppably, I had Virtue, KEI and a pet equipped
>with pet toys. Interestingly, for a Saturday afternoon (UK time) I
>was the only person in the zone.
>
>Slaughtering anythng that might be a placeholder and killing the
>giants non-stop (no medding needed, actually) I made about 1k in two
>hours. (I stopped and left at this point as a couple of people
>arrived with characters of a level who suited the zone) This justifies
>the claim of several k plat per day, but that was in absolutely ideal
>conditions, where I had every giant to myself. I seriously doubt
>anyone would get mega-rich there before they died of boredom or
>couldn't get sufficient giants because of other farmers..
>
>>The gems and other valuable vendor items that drop in common high level xp
>>zones would massively outweigh any contribution from hill giants.
>
>Agreed, but many farmers are just too scared to risk their asses to
>get better loot. Heh, I saw a 70 Necro and a 67 Warrior in there one
>day, hunting as a pair - personally, I'd have been ashamed to be seen
>"dumpster-diving" in that manner with characters that high in level
>:D 
>
>
>Palindrome

Actually, I've thought that most the crowds I've seen there were
guilds power-leveling younger characters... and it's a pretty good
place to do that, since most places are usually a tradeoff of exp v
cash v loot (not good loot, but loot that brings more than a few
copper pieces at a vendor). Not many places satisfy such a wide
variety of things for so many people.
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:17:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 20:04:42 GMT, Don Woods <don-ns@iCynic.com> wrote:

>Palindrome <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> writes:

>> Slaughtering anythng that might be a placeholder and killing the
>> giants non-stop (no medding needed, actually) I made about 1k in two
>> hours.
>
>That seems low. When I had the zone to myself as a low fifties monk,
>I was making about 700-900 per hour, solo. That includes all the fine
>steel weapons and other vendor junk (but not stuff like bone chips or
>lambent stones, which I later sold in the bazaar). Just be sure to
>have lots of WR bags (a tradeskill trophy is good for summoning those).

Well, when I say "about" it might have been maybe 1200, but many of
the giants dropped no plat at all or just 2 to 5 plat. For the
swords, I just make a fast run to a vendor in rathe, and buy minor
gems to soak up the copper and silver.

>In any case, I agree it's not the largest contribution of plat to the
>EQ economy, but it's certainly a good place for people who need plat
>around level 50.

Agreed, especially if you can farm them fast enough, which is usually
not often due to the number of farmers there.



Palindrome
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:54:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:41:30 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:09:02 +0100 in
><q97pf11fvjvph7h1i425kq5ti1kr07sa3c@4ax.com>, Palindrome
><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>>Agreed, but many farmers are just too scared to risk their asses to
>>get better loot. Heh, I saw a 70 Necro and a 67 Warrior in there one
>>day, hunting as a pair - personally, I'd have been ashamed to be seen
>>"dumpster-diving" in that manner with characters that high in level.

>Actually, I've thought that most the crowds I've seen there were
>guilds power-leveling younger characters... and it's a pretty good
>place to do that, since most places are usually a tradeoff of exp v
>cash v loot (not good loot, but loot that brings more than a few
>copper pieces at a vendor). Not many places satisfy such a wide
>variety of things for so many people.

Aye, power-levelling used to be pretty common while I frequented the
place, too, and as you say that usually accounts for high-level
players in the zone, but these two guys in particular stood out as
there were only 4 of us in the place.


Palindrome
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:01:48 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:54:36 +0100 in
<pq9qf1pradhcjb4q0gimpf3fk0tbpis05n@4ax.com>, Palindrome
<damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:

>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:41:30 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
>wrote:
>
>>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:09:02 +0100 in
>><q97pf11fvjvph7h1i425kq5ti1kr07sa3c@4ax.com>, Palindrome
>><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>>Agreed, but many farmers are just too scared to risk their asses to
>>>get better loot. Heh, I saw a 70 Necro and a 67 Warrior in there one
>>>day, hunting as a pair - personally, I'd have been ashamed to be seen
>>>"dumpster-diving" in that manner with characters that high in level.
>
>>Actually, I've thought that most the crowds I've seen there were
>>guilds power-leveling younger characters... and it's a pretty good
>>place to do that, since most places are usually a tradeoff of exp v
>>cash v loot (not good loot, but loot that brings more than a few
>>copper pieces at a vendor). Not many places satisfy such a wide
>>variety of things for so many people.
>
>Aye, power-levelling used to be pretty common while I frequented the
>place, too, and as you say that usually accounts for high-level
>players in the zone, but these two guys in particular stood out as
>there were only 4 of us in the place.
>
>
>Palindrome

and now it's a gigantic newbie zone... well, I guess they want people
to buy the expansions and go somewhere else... They sure put new
characters out in the middle of nowhere this time...
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 3:02:35 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

If you think about it, Rathe Mtns. is an awsome newbie zone. Look at the
layout and all of the cool stuff in there. I just wish more of the
newbie zones were like rathe.

__________________________________________________________
Submitted by: Vidden
This message was submitted through the Erollisi Marr Forum
Anonymous
August 13, 2005 4:37:09 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Sat, 13 Aug 2005 00:01:48 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>and now it's a gigantic newbie zone... well, I guess they want people
>to buy the expansions and go somewhere else... They sure put new
>characters out in the middle of nowhere this time...

Agreement with everything there, heh :) 



Palindrome
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 2:37:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 17:25:38 -0500 in
<Vidden.1tmfk1@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com>, Vidden
<Vidden.1tmfk1@erollisimarr-dot-com-forum.com> graced the world with
this thought:

>
>I am working on my druids epic and I am on the step of collecting the
>parts around antonica. Where the hell am I going to find the HG I need
>now.....
>
I'm pretty sure the tainted is still there. It's not just <any> hill
giant.
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 5:48:40 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In alt.games.everquest, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>I'd have to traverse most of 4 complex and dense zones, crossing 3 zone
>lines to reach the PoK book from the SK guild in Neriak. Rathe to
>Feerott is just one simple nearly straight run, with only one zone line.
>
>For me the complexity and density wouldn't be real issues - I know
>neriak. But the 3 zone times would kill me. For a true newbie... I'd bet
>I could Run from the gaurd tower in North K to Qeynos Hills before they
>could get to PoK from the neriak SK or Rogues guild.

You mean they don't just attack their guild master to newbie gate into Nek
Forest?

--
Tony Evans (ICQ : 170850)
Recommended Author : Stan Nicholls [http://www.stannicholls.com]
When I want your advice, I'll beat it out of you
Meet the wife : http://www.darkstorm.co.uk/grete
August 14, 2005 9:34:32 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <42ff3dac$0$38044$bed64819@news.gradwell.net>, postmaster@
[127.0.0.1] says...
> In alt.games.everquest, 42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>
> >I'd have to traverse most of 4 complex and dense zones, crossing 3 zone
> >lines to reach the PoK book from the SK guild in Neriak. Rathe to
> >Feerott is just one simple nearly straight run, with only one zone line.
> >
> >For me the complexity and density wouldn't be real issues - I know
> >neriak. But the 3 zone times would kill me. For a true newbie... I'd bet
> >I could Run from the gaurd tower in North K to Qeynos Hills before they
> >could get to PoK from the neriak SK or Rogues guild.
>
> You mean they don't just attack their guild master to newbie gate into Nek
> Forest?

True newbies? No. Why would they? :)  Except by accident... but then
they'd spend 3 hours trying to find out how to get back :) 
Anonymous
August 14, 2005 10:38:48 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:48:40 +0100, Tony Evans
<postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:

>You mean they don't just attack their guild master to newbie gate into Nek
>Forest?

They are called noobs for a reason =) if I created a new toon and
wanted a quick way out of noob zone, I just attack th nearest NPC.
Usually fatal and after a minute you reload at the zone in or at
adjourning zone. Plus if you do this before you reach level 10 you
lose nothing.

The loading time is often less than trying to find your way out of any
city.
--
When you hear the toilet flush, and hear the words "uh oh", it's already
too late. - by anonymous Mother in Austin, TX
To reply, replace digi.mon with phreaker.net
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:27:26 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

bizbee wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:48 -0500 in
> <1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga>, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
> graced the world with this thought:
>
> >With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the changes,
> >first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
> >
> >As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like all they
> >did was point to an older version of the zone file. The Carver is back, the
> >dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood on the steps is back ... all
> >seems to be as it was. From a maintenance standpoint it makes sense, but
> >from a game standpoint it seems a bit lacking given what all is supposed to
> >have happened there.
> >
> >Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone. In the
> >process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
> >
> >"Where are the HGs?"
> >
> >"WTF?"
> >
> >"Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
> >
> >As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
> >
> >Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a track ..
> >not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that matter.
> >
> >To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an understatement. :-P
> >
> >Crash
> >
> Damn, now where people go to call each other names and act like two
> year olds?

World of Warcraft? :p 

steve.kaye
August 15, 2005 9:29:20 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

In article <tshvf15n3r9j2dd371qs3b5mdaj21l2ttf@4ax.com>, impmon@digi.mon
says...
> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:48:40 +0100, Tony Evans
> <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>
> >You mean they don't just attack their guild master to newbie gate into Nek
> >Forest?
>
> They are called noobs for a reason =) if I created a new toon and
> wanted a quick way out of noob zone, I just attack th nearest NPC.
> Usually fatal and after a minute you reload at the zone in or at
> adjourning zone.

But you know what happens if you kill an NPC, and where you go. A newbie
won't know if that will put him ahead or behind... and will probably
assume that suicides aren't going to be a reliable way to advance his
character faster, and will avoid dying as much as possible.

> Plus if you do this before you reach level 10 you
> lose nothing.
>
> The loading time is often less than trying to find your way out of any
> city.

Seeing as you'd have to load either way I'd say that its ALWAYS faster.
:) 
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 11:46:56 AM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Graeme Faelban wrote:
> murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in
> news:2641g1h57bmnrb60dh920vl31kjv8el930@4ax.com:
>
> > On 15 Aug 2005 00:27:26 -0700, "steve.kaye"
> > <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> >>
> >>bizbee wrote:
> >>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:48 -0500 in
> >>> <1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga>, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
> >>> graced the world with this thought:
> >>>
> >>> >With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the
> >>> >changes, first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
> >>> >
> >>> >As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like
> >>> >all they did was point to an older version of the zone file. The
> >>> >Carver is back, the dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood
> >>> >on the steps is back ... all seems to be as it was. From a
> >>> >maintenance standpoint it makes sense, but from a game standpoint
> >>> >it seems a bit lacking given what all is supposed to have happened
> >>> >there.
> >>> >
> >>> >Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone.
> >>> >In the process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
> >>> >
> >>> >"Where are the HGs?"
> >>> >
> >>> >"WTF?"
> >>> >
> >>> >"Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
> >>> >
> >>> >As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
> >>> >
> >>> >Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a
> >>> >track .. not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that
> >>> >matter.
> >>> >
> >>> >To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an
> >>> >understatement. :-P
> >>> >
> >>> >Crash
> >>> >
> >>> Damn, now where people go to call each other names and act like two
> >>> year olds?
> >>
> >>World of Warcraft? :p 
> >>
> >>steve.kaye
> >
> > Actually in WoW most of the people I've met have been pretty
> > courteous. Guild Wars, OTOH, seems to be populated solely by 12 year
> > old boys.
> >
>
> That is not what I have heard from several who gave up on WoW due to
> precisely that issue. May just depend on the server and/or time of day
> or such.

I started on a PvE server and then moved to PvP. When I moved to the
PvP server I noticed a lot more arguing and people calling people noobs
etc in the General chat channel. I have certainly put more people on
my ignore list in WoW because of childish arguments in general chat
than I did in 2 years of EQ.

steve.kaye
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:56:52 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

On 15 Aug 2005 00:27:26 -0700, "steve.kaye"
<nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:

>
>bizbee wrote:
>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:48 -0500 in
>> <1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga>, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
>> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>> >With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the changes,
>> >first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
>> >
>> >As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like all they
>> >did was point to an older version of the zone file. The Carver is back, the
>> >dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood on the steps is back ... all
>> >seems to be as it was. From a maintenance standpoint it makes sense, but
>> >from a game standpoint it seems a bit lacking given what all is supposed to
>> >have happened there.
>> >
>> >Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone. In the
>> >process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
>> >
>> >"Where are the HGs?"
>> >
>> >"WTF?"
>> >
>> >"Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
>> >
>> >As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
>> >
>> >Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a track ..
>> >not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that matter.
>> >
>> >To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an understatement. :-P
>> >
>> >Crash
>> >
>> Damn, now where people go to call each other names and act like two
>> year olds?
>
>World of Warcraft? :p 
>
>steve.kaye

Actually in WoW most of the people I've met have been pretty
courteous. Guild Wars, OTOH, seems to be populated solely by 12 year
old boys.
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 4:56:53 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

<murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> Actually in WoW most of the people I've met have been pretty
> courteous. Guild Wars, OTOH, seems to be populated solely by 12 year
> old boys.

Interestingly enough, I agree. And yet, I also agree with the post you
replied to. How's that? In-game, WoW isn't too bad. On the community
forums, however, WoW displays a maturity level... well, it doesn't display
any maturity level at all actually. =P

Guild Wars in-game has a lot of the same type of stuff that you see in WoW's
community forums, but strangely the community forums for Guild Wars are
considerably more mature than you would expect from what you see in-game.

It's a paradox that I really dunno how anybody could explain, especially
considering that the target audience was the same for both (for those who
don't know, Guild Wars was made by ex-Blizzard employees).
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:07:39 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote in news:MLaLe.5407$RS.78
@newsread3.news.pas.earthlink.net:

> On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 23:54:36 +0100 in
> <pq9qf1pradhcjb4q0gimpf3fk0tbpis05n@4ax.com>, Palindrome
> <damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:
>
>>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 22:41:30 GMT, bizbee <tuberoo@earthlink.net> wrote:
>>
>>>On Fri, 12 Aug 2005 14:09:02 +0100 in
>>><q97pf11fvjvph7h1i425kq5ti1kr07sa3c@4ax.com>, Palindrome
>>><damon-nomad@tiscali.co.uk> graced the world with this thought:
>>
>>>>Agreed, but many farmers are just too scared to risk their asses to
>>>>get better loot. Heh, I saw a 70 Necro and a 67 Warrior in there one
>>>>day, hunting as a pair - personally, I'd have been ashamed to be seen
>>>>"dumpster-diving" in that manner with characters that high in level.
>>
>>>Actually, I've thought that most the crowds I've seen there were
>>>guilds power-leveling younger characters... and it's a pretty good
>>>place to do that, since most places are usually a tradeoff of exp v
>>>cash v loot (not good loot, but loot that brings more than a few
>>>copper pieces at a vendor). Not many places satisfy such a wide
>>>variety of things for so many people.
>>
>>Aye, power-levelling used to be pretty common while I frequented the
>>place, too, and as you say that usually accounts for high-level
>>players in the zone, but these two guys in particular stood out as
>>there were only 4 of us in the place.
>>
>>
>>Palindrome
>
> and now it's a gigantic newbie zone... well, I guess they want people
> to buy the expansions and go somewhere else... They sure put new
> characters out in the middle of nowhere this time...
>

No Froglok city book yet I take it?

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:12:12 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

42 <nospam@nospam.com> wrote in
news:MPG.1d69c809dd164a62989c80@shawnews.vf.shawcable.net:

> In article <tshvf15n3r9j2dd371qs3b5mdaj21l2ttf@4ax.com>,
> impmon@digi.mon says...
>> On Sun, 14 Aug 2005 13:48:40 +0100, Tony Evans
>> <postmaster@[127.0.0.1]> wrote:
>>
>> >You mean they don't just attack their guild master to newbie gate
>> >into Nek Forest?
>>
>> They are called noobs for a reason =) if I created a new toon and
>> wanted a quick way out of noob zone, I just attack th nearest NPC.
>> Usually fatal and after a minute you reload at the zone in or at
>> adjourning zone.
>
> But you know what happens if you kill an NPC, and where you go. A
> newbie won't know if that will put him ahead or behind... and will
> probably assume that suicides aren't going to be a reliable way to
> advance his character faster, and will avoid dying as much as
> possible.
>
>> Plus if you do this before you reach level 10 you
>> lose nothing.
>>
>> The loading time is often less than trying to find your way out of
>> any city.
>
> Seeing as you'd have to load either way I'd say that its ALWAYS
> faster.
>:) 

Well, now that they have significantly decreased spell memorization time
anyway.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 6:13:19 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

murdocj <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote in
news:2641g1h57bmnrb60dh920vl31kjv8el930@4ax.com:

> On 15 Aug 2005 00:27:26 -0700, "steve.kaye"
> <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote:
>
>>
>>bizbee wrote:
>>> On Thu, 11 Aug 2005 16:21:48 -0500 in
>>> <1iPKe.26291$Tt6.22981@fe04.lga>, "Crash86" <crash86@shotmail.com>
>>> graced the world with this thought:
>>>
>>> >With nothing pressing going on, I decided to take a tour of the
>>> >changes, first to Grobb, then to Rathe.
>>> >
>>> >As far as Grobb goes, it was a bit of an anticlimax. Looks like
>>> >all they did was point to an older version of the zone file. The
>>> >Carver is back, the dwarf on the Carver's block is back, the blood
>>> >on the steps is back ... all seems to be as it was. From a
>>> >maintenance standpoint it makes sense, but from a game standpoint
>>> >it seems a bit lacking given what all is supposed to have happened
>>> >there.
>>> >
>>> >Then I head over to Rathe with my druid. 16 people in the zone.
>>> >In the process of tracking down the frog camp, I hear rumblings:
>>> >
>>> >"Where are the HGs?"
>>> >
>>> >"WTF?"
>>> >
>>> >"Now what are we supposed do do? Damn SOE!"
>>> >
>>> >As I come across the frog camp, I find it's behind Flat Rock.
>>> >
>>> >Flat Rock is now covered in giant mosquitoes and larvae. Pop up a
>>> >track .. not an HG to be found. No giant skellies either, for that
>>> >matter.
>>> >
>>> >To say that the farmers were a bit miffed is a bit of an
>>> >understatement. :-P
>>> >
>>> >Crash
>>> >
>>> Damn, now where people go to call each other names and act like two
>>> year olds?
>>
>>World of Warcraft? :p 
>>
>>steve.kaye
>
> Actually in WoW most of the people I've met have been pretty
> courteous. Guild Wars, OTOH, seems to be populated solely by 12 year
> old boys.
>

That is not what I have heard from several who gave up on WoW due to
precisely that issue. May just depend on the server and/or time of day
or such.

--
On Erollisi Marr in <Sanctuary of Marr>
Ancient Graeme Faelban, Barbarian Soothsayer of 70 seasons

On Steamfont
Graeme, 36 Dwarven Mystic, 24 Sage, Treasure Hunter <Tempest>
Aviv, 15 Gnome Brawler, 30 Provisioner
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 8:40:04 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in
news:slrndg17ml.766.faned@wyld.qx.net:

> <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Actually in WoW most of the people I've met have been pretty
>> courteous. Guild Wars, OTOH, seems to be populated solely by 12 year
>> old boys.
>
> Interestingly enough, I agree. And yet, I also agree with the post
> you replied to. How's that? In-game, WoW isn't too bad. On the
> community forums, however, WoW displays a maturity level... well, it
> doesn't display any maturity level at all actually. =P
>
> Guild Wars in-game has a lot of the same type of stuff that you see in
> WoW's community forums, but strangely the community forums for Guild
> Wars are considerably more mature than you would expect from what you
> see in-game.
>
> It's a paradox that I really dunno how anybody could explain,
> especially considering that the target audience was the same for both
> (for those who don't know, Guild Wars was made by ex-Blizzard
> employees).

One possible reason is that the WoW forums are run by Blizzard. Thus,
anyone can get on if they have an account. However, the GW forums are
usually guild operated. Thus, you need to be on your best behaviour or you
get the boot.


--
Marcel
http://mudbunny.blogspot.com/
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:20:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

Marcel Beaudoin <mbeaudoin@scintrextrace.com> wrote in
news:Xns96B380162821Embeausympaticoca@130.133.1.4:

> Faned <faned@wyld.qx.net> wrote in
> news:slrndg17ml.766.faned@wyld.qx.net:
>
>> <murdocj@hotmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually in WoW most of the people I've met have been pretty
>>> courteous. Guild Wars, OTOH, seems to be populated solely by 12
>>> year old boys.
>>
>> Interestingly enough, I agree. And yet, I also agree with the post
>> you replied to. How's that? In-game, WoW isn't too bad. On the
>> community forums, however, WoW displays a maturity level... well, it
>> doesn't display any maturity level at all actually. =P
>>
>> Guild Wars in-game has a lot of the same type of stuff that you see
>> in WoW's community forums, but strangely the community forums for
>> Guild Wars are considerably more mature than you would expect from
>> what you see in-game.
>>
>> It's a paradox that I really dunno how anybody could explain,
>> especially considering that the target audience was the same for both
>> (for those who don't know, Guild Wars was made by ex-Blizzard
>> employees).
>
> One possible reason is that the WoW forums are run by Blizzard. Thus,
> anyone can get on if they have an account. However, the GW forums are
> usually guild operated. Thus, you need to be on your best behaviour or
> you get the boot.
>
>

Nah, idiots will be idiots regardless of the forum moderation methods. More
strict policy enforcement just gives them more to rail against. They can be
spotted from a mile away in either type of forum.

--
Rumble
"Write something worth reading, or do something worth writing."
-- Benjamin Franklin
Anonymous
August 15, 2005 10:45:42 PM

Archived from groups: alt.games.everquest (More info?)

"steve.kaye" <nospam@giddy-kippers.co.uk> wrote in
news:1124117216.532093.269360@g49g2000cwa.googlegroups.com:

>
> I started on a PvE server and then moved to PvP. When I moved to the
> PvP server I noticed a lot more arguing and people calling people noobs
> etc in the General chat channel. I have certainly put more people on
> my ignore list in WoW because of childish arguments in general chat
> than I did in 2 years of EQ.
>
> steve.kaye
>

I don't see anything worse in STV than I saw in SK or LoIO (or any
of the other standard leveling spots). However, I have to admit that
only in WoW have I consistently been challenged to a duel the moment
I enter the world on a brand new character (on my shaman I got challenged
twice within 30 seconds of logging in as a level 1).

--
Arch Convoker Mairelon Snapbang
Feral Lord Bosra Snowclaw
Lanys T'vyl (Retired)

Mairelon, 38th Paladin
Silverhand
!