Upgrade Norton Internet Security 2003 to 2004?

Last response: in Networking
May 5, 2004 4:08:18 PM

Hi,

I have OEM version of NIS'03 installed on Win'98 computer. It's been
a year already and I need either upgrade it to 2004 or simply get
another year of updates for the same.

Which way should I go? Is there anything in 2004 that makes it
significantly better than 2003?

I'm not planning to switch to a different vendor (even if it's free)
at the present time.

TIA
Anonymous
May 6, 2004 7:46:41 PM

I've been running NISpro03 on 2 pc's for about a year. Ran good,
email protection found and quarantined many virii's. But then the
subscription was about to expire on one so decided to upgrade it to
NISpro04. It ran fine for about 4 weeks then NAV said "Tampered" all
over itself and NIS would not install one LiveUpdate - Symantec's help
site said to reinstall to fix both problems. After at least 8-10
reinstalls NAV will never scan in/out-going emails and NAS (antispam)
will no longer move spams to its folder. But NAV does appear to scan
downloaded prog's. Symantec has responded to emails but all they can
ever suggest are things that are already in their KB.

I did go back to NISpro03 but it also would no longer scan
in/out-going emails. So something may have gone awry with a windows
component after the NISpro04 debacle. I'm not at a point to totally
reinstall XPpro, so am now testing ZoneAlarm Pro which looks good but
it does not do a complete scan of email attachments, rather it just
quarantines all with certain extensions.

If I would have known of all these potential problems I would have
just stayed with NIS03 and subscribe to another year of updates.

Kurt Remlin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have OEM version of NIS'03 installed on Win'98 computer. It's
been
> a year already and I need either upgrade it to 2004 or simply get
> another year of updates for the same.
>
> Which way should I go? Is there anything in 2004 that makes it
> significantly better than 2003?
>
> I'm not planning to switch to a different vendor (even if it's free)
> at the present time.
>
> TIA
Anonymous
May 7, 2004 3:41:36 PM

Mareau, have you tried manually removing files and registry after
uninstalling NIS (all Symantec products -- including LiveUpdate and
LiveReg -- to be safe) and rebooting? If not, then please go to
http://service1.symantec.com/support/nip.nsf/docid/2004... and
try those solutions. IIRC, there was a bug during 2004 uninstall and
reinstalling NIS 2003 product (a newer file left behind and 2003 didn't
overwrite it). I hope this helps. :)

--
Phillip Pi
phillip_pi@symantec.comSYMC (remove SYMC to reply by e-mail)

Please do NOT e-mail me for technical support. DISCLAIMER: The views
expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the
views of my employer.
!