Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Any good PC games that are actually fun to play?

Last response: in Video Games
October 4, 2012 6:16:50 AM

Please exclude battlefield, call of duty, and halo, (Halo 1 and 2, worst console ports in existence.) from your suggestions. :na: 

It can be anything, virtually anything, but it needs to be fun though. ^_^ It can be a free to play game, freeware, open source, anything! ^^

Just got done playing and beating FTL, and those are, have had to have been, some of the best gaming hours of my life. c:

So now im looking for more fun. c:

Any suggestions? ^^

And oh yes, im a crysis fan, (judging by my avatar.) only FPS I had a LOT of fun with in awhile. Crysis 2 disappointed though, but I tend not to associate this avatar with that title. (At least I try not to. :sweat:  Crysis 2 was fun, but crysis 1 was VERY FUN :D )

More about : good games fun play

October 4, 2012 6:23:21 AM

Arma 2 Dayz mod? IMO it is addicting.
Score
October 4, 2012 10:20:07 AM

I'm currently playing a lot of Trackmania and replaying HL1+2 (I know, AGAIN!)
Score
Related resources
October 4, 2012 6:15:04 PM

Any really good indie games? c: Can't help but get bored at all the crap the big name publishers are shoving out. :c
Score
October 4, 2012 9:01:57 PM

Hi :) 

Half Life 1 & 2...

All the best Brett :) 
Score
October 4, 2012 10:32:59 PM

Hm if I could ask, is there anything in the spirit of space exploration? Sorta like FTL. =P Games like that really compel me to get a sammich, some tea, and just relax. ^_^
Score
October 4, 2012 10:53:27 PM

Wow sweet, I'm gonna pick this up soon, any other suggestions? :o 
Score
October 4, 2012 11:12:11 PM

shivanthing said:
Hm if I could ask, is there anything in the spirit of space exploration? Sorta like FTL. =P Games like that really compel me to get a sammich, some tea, and just relax. ^_^

I loved that stuff too, Freelancer was awesome! More recent games that actually run above 1280x1024 could be Darkstar One or X3. Darkstar One looks really good, I'm considering giving it a shot myself. For the most fun third person shooter I've ever played (sept maybe Hitman) is Red Faction Guerilla. Serious Sam 2 was also brilliant, though gets to being endurance-style FPS after a while (insanely long battles). Assassin's Creed also, start with the first if you haven't played them before and also the Mass Effect series and Borderlands 2!
Score
October 4, 2012 11:30:31 PM

sam_p_lay said:
I loved that stuff too, Freelancer was awesome! More recent games that actually run above 1280x1024 could be Darkstar One or X3. Darkstar One looks really good, I'm considering giving it a shot myself. For the most fun third person shooter I've ever played (sept maybe Hitman) is Red Faction Guerilla. Serious Sam 2 was also brilliant, though gets to being endurance-style FPS after a while (insanely long battles). Assassin's Creed also, start with the first if you haven't played them before and also the Mass Effect series and Borderlands 2!

I actually have darkstar one in my collection here, I got for about 10 bucks at a gamestop clearance sale. ^_^ It's actually very good. I also played freelancer and I can say that they're quite alike. ^^
Score
October 5, 2012 8:39:09 AM

shivanthing said:
Any really good indie games? c: Can't help but get bored at all the crap the big name publishers are shoving out. :c

Check out the humble indie bundle.
Amnesia
World of Goo
Minecraft (everyone's going mad for this but I've never played TBH)
Score
October 5, 2012 8:40:52 AM

epic space battles too
Score
October 5, 2012 9:31:23 AM

shivanthing said:
I actually have darkstar one in my collection here, I got for about 10 bucks at a gamestop clearance sale. ^_^ It's actually very good. I also played freelancer and I can say that they're quite alike. ^^

Sounds like solid advice :-) The only thing wrong with Freelancer I felt was the copy/paste nature of all the bases, factions and missions and dialogue. Apparently it's not so much of an issue with Darkstar One... plus, relatively modern graphics.

I somehow forgot to mention Star Wars Force Unleashed (and its sequel) up there - that was an unforgivable oversight in responding to a question about really fun games! If you've not played it, it is an insanely fun and awesome game. The sequel is a bit on the easy side with the exception of boss battles (you'll be hacking through large groups of stormtroopers in seconds, limbs flying everywhere!) but I'd still massively recommend it. You won't like the boss battles, but the rest is well worth playing.

Dead Space is another good choice if you haven't played it. And if you're up for some slightly older games, Manhunt was absolutely brilliant fun. Also Soldier of Fortune 2, Max Payne 2 (I haven't played Max Payne Goes on Holiday but that might be fun), Command and Conquer Generals (and the Zero Hour addon!), any Unreal Tournament game and the best RPGs I've ever played in my life - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (original) or Baldur's Gate 2. There's actually Baldur's Gate remakes coming up so maybe wait for that if you're interested.
Score
October 5, 2012 9:38:42 AM

Oh and for racing, Burnout Paradise is easily the most fun I've ever had on a racing game! It's not realistic driving or real cars (though real cars wouldn't really work with the unrealistic driving) but it's really brilliant fun. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (the 2011 version) is also an excellent game - slightly more realistic driving and real cars in this one.

Other really excellent shooter that was largely overlooked (due to being released at the same time as Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, Bioshock, Half-Life: Episode 2, Gears of War and other huge games) was Timeshift. You have a suit that can pause time, so you can go around for example shooting a whole room full of enemies in the face (bullet will leave the barrel and then just pause) and then resume time for everyone take a headshot :-D Consider the possibilities with taking their guns, leaving them a hand grenade etc - lots of fun to be had. You can also rewind time briefly. Even without that time stuff, it's still a really cool shooter, beautifully presented and polished, guns look, sound and feel fun to use and it's a cool dystopian type setting.
Score
October 5, 2012 9:40:47 AM

For open source stuff by the way, Nexuiz and Blob Wars are great fun :-) Blob Wars is just an old fashioned platformer but strangely addictive. Nexuiz is Unreal Tournament style shooter - nowhere near as graphically advanced as UT3 but I actually had more fun with it, comparably fun to the original UT.
Score
October 5, 2012 10:49:16 AM

Resident Evil 6 is really really fun game to play. Its full with interest and entertainment. I enjoy every part of this game.
Score
October 5, 2012 12:13:17 PM

alyazen13 said:
Resident Evil 6 is really really fun game to play. Its full with interest and entertainment. I enjoy every part of this game.

OP is after PC games. He'll have a while to wait until RE6 is on Windows. According to the reviews, it may not be worth the wait anyway, but good to try it yourself of course. I can personally recommend Resident Evil 5, but not as much as the other games I mentioned.
Score
October 5, 2012 10:28:32 PM

I decided to try out endless space, but it didn't quite click with me. I like the whole 4X aspect but... not quite my style. (I did quite like gal civ 2 for some odd reason.)

I remember playing the ur quan masters. (Star control 2) The glee I got from talking to the many alien races in that game. We need more of that. =) FTL (sorta) bought that back for me, but brought a whole new level of ship management and combat as well. :p 

And I gotta try this... blob wars, it seems great >:o 
Score
October 6, 2012 9:24:13 AM

shivanthing said:
And I gotta try this... blob wars, it seems great >:o 

Haha yeah it's a cool little platformer! I didn't even have sound and still had a lot of fun with it. I'm not sure if it's on Windows (would be surprised if it isn't though) but if it's not and you don't have Linux, you could set up a Linux VM to play it (I can explain how to if you need me to).
Score
October 6, 2012 1:06:18 PM

I can't believe nobody mentioned Bulletstorm :) .
Score
October 6, 2012 1:38:29 PM

Play the Dead Space series! I love these games and they play, and look great on the PC as long as you have a gamepad, I use a 360 controller. Keyboard and mouse does not work well with these games!

I second, well third what mi1ez said, Half Life and Half life 2 are amazing games! the gameplay stays fresh, and never gets tiresome, plus there is tons of content to keep you busy with Episode 1 and 2 also. you can get them pretty cheap on Steam!

Starcraft 2.
Score
October 6, 2012 1:44:19 PM

Tribes Ascend is the most fun I've had playing a game in a while. It's FTP but they sell points to unlock weapons faster than you can with experience if you're impatient.
Score
October 6, 2012 2:30:16 PM

Sunius said:
I can't believe nobody mentioned Bulletstorm :) .

This is good advice! You'll like the sniper rifle :-) Dead Space actually works really well on kb/mouse in my experience (I have both on PC and Extraction on Wii). There's a part that many console gamers actually gave up on because it's so difficult with gamepad (a turret bit) - I did it on PC without taking a single point of damage.
Score
October 6, 2012 2:57:22 PM

sam_p_lay said:
This is good advice! You'll like the sniper rifle :-) Dead Space actually works really well on kb/mouse in my experience (I have both on PC and Extraction on Wii). There's a part that many console gamers actually gave up on because it's so difficult with gamepad (a turret bit) - I did it on PC without taking a single point of damage.

I know what part you are talking about. The "space blaster" part, yeah that was pretty frustrating took me about 10 tries with my controller, I tried keyboard and mouse when I started DS 1 and it just didn't work for me. I also use my xbox controller for The Witcher 2, on Bioshock which are two awesome games as well.

I think there are plenty of awesome titles here to keep you busy for quite some time, or at least until Dead Space 3 releases :) 
Score
October 6, 2012 8:41:06 PM

SlammerBurgr said:
I know what part you are talking about. The "space blaster" part, yeah that was pretty frustrating took me about 10 tries with my controller, I tried keyboard and mouse when I started DS 1 and it just didn't work for me. I also use my xbox controller for The Witcher 2, on Bioshock which are two awesome games as well.

I think there are plenty of awesome titles here to keep you busy for quite some time, or at least until Dead Space 3 releases :) 

I think if somebody already has the 360 controller then obviously try it both ways, but probably not worth buying one unless you really struggle with kb/mouse. One of the main combat mechanics of Dead Space is shooting the enemy's limbs and joints to remove limbs - requires some precision aiming. Isn't that a bit trickier to pull off with a controller? Which weapons did you use on it?
Score
October 6, 2012 11:33:39 PM

Diablo 3
Score
October 7, 2012 12:36:50 AM

sam_p_lay said:
I think if somebody already has the 360 controller then obviously try it both ways, but probably not worth buying one unless you really struggle with kb/mouse. One of the main combat mechanics of Dead Space is shooting the enemy's limbs and joints to remove limbs - requires some precision aiming. Isn't that a bit trickier to pull off with a controller? Which weapons did you use on it?

I used the Plasma cutter, the assault rifle and the ripper mainly, I love the saw blades! aiming was very simple with the joysticks, movement was what really gave me trouble with the KB and mouse. I couldn't even imagine playing the 0-gravity portions with the KB, but I also play a lot on xbox and PS3 so the controller was natural for me.

The only reason played it on PC to begin with was because I was in Afghanistan and all I had was my m17x laptop. SO, glad I did though, the graphics and physics are amazing on PC, graphics definitely make a difference with horror games, gotta have the lighting and shadows right to get the effect.
Score
October 7, 2012 12:52:38 AM

I've played bulletstorm ^^ great game, guess im probably running out of titles since I seem to play almost everything. xD

As for diablo 3, I actually hate it. Not because im anti blizzard or anything of that sort, it was just god awfully repetitive, and the gold auction house (let alone the real money auction house) killed the entire purpose of loot, since i'd end up buying stuff there in the long run anyway. xD

As for deadspace, played the first, but never really got into the 2nd. Is the second any good? :o 
Score
October 7, 2012 1:03:40 AM

Quote:
Is the second any good? :o 

The second one is awesome! So many WTF moments, and crazy action scenes, much richer character development and new monsters i.e. exploding babies!

Get off the forum and go play Dead Space 2 right now sir!
Score
October 7, 2012 1:06:59 AM

Dead Space 2 might be my favorite game, it's a tough call, I mean Half Life 2 or Dead Space 2.
Score
October 7, 2012 8:56:33 AM

Yeah Dead Space 2 is awesome, and in my opinion a much cooler setting. I actually enjoyed the original far more, but I don't think for a second it's because DS2 was worse, simply that I had already played DS1 to death so it felt like I'd done it all before and Extraction too. Much like Left 4 Dead 2, I over-played the original so I lost interest in the sequel soon after starting. Even in Borderlands 2 (which is awesome) I'm already tiring of killing bandits and wildlife, largely because I spent so many hours doing it in the original and its DLCs (I'm level 20 in BL2 so a fair bit into the game but nowhere near the end) and only really interested in fighting Hyperion forces now.

SlammerBurgr, that pulse rifle was crap! You upgraded the hell out of it? :-) I had a friend stop bothering playing the game because he bought the pulse rifle instead of the line gun and killing enemies was taking so long and chewing through so much ammo, it ceased to be fun for him. Another friend though took the pulse rifle and said it was a decent weapon if you heavily upgrade it and can catch up with the others. Ripper I thought was cool, but ended up being pretty much a melee weapon for me - I found the short range attack much more effective and fun, but required you to get right in your enemy's face to use it. Plasma cutter, line gun and force gun for me :-) Line gun for mowing off two legs at once (I absolutely adored that gun!) and force gun just to instantly wipe out an entire swarm of those little annoying things. The electric spear gun in DS2 was pretty sweet too!

Why were you in Afghanistan by the way, are you military? Just curious.
Score
October 7, 2012 10:27:19 AM

Try this, if you are free for a night, play slender - http://slendergame.com/ - in complete darkness.

You download it and it is freeware.
Score
October 7, 2012 12:18:49 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Yeah Dead Space 2 is awesome, and in my opinion a much cooler setting. I actually enjoyed the original far more, but I don't think for a second it's because DS2 was worse, simply that I had already played DS1 to death so it felt like I'd done it all before and Extraction too. Much like Left 4 Dead 2, I over-played the original so I lost interest in the sequel soon after starting. Even in Borderlands 2 (which is awesome) I'm already tiring of killing bandits and wildlife, largely because I spent so many hours doing it in the original and its DLCs (I'm level 20 in BL2 so a fair bit into the game but nowhere near the end) and only really interested in fighting Hyperion forces now.

SlammerBurgr, that pulse rifle was crap! You upgraded the hell out of it? :-) I had a friend stop bothering playing the game because he bought the pulse rifle instead of the line gun and killing enemies was taking so long and chewing through so much ammo, it ceased to be fun for him. Another friend though took the pulse rifle and said it was a decent weapon if you heavily upgrade it and can catch up with the others. Ripper I thought was cool, but ended up being pretty much a melee weapon for me - I found the short range attack much more effective and fun, but required you to get right in your enemy's face to use it. Plasma cutter, line gun and force gun for me :-) Line gun for mowing off two legs at once (I absolutely adored that gun!) and force gun just to instantly wipe out an entire swarm of those little annoying things. The electric spear gun in DS2 was pretty sweet too!

Why were you in Afghanistan by the way, are you military? Just curious.

Yes I upgraded the Pulse Rifle like crazy, but it is balanced and great for enemies that move around a lot, like the monsters with the three tentacles or the scorpion dudes, I use it in a sweeping motion and it kills. You find tons of ammo for it also, and if you buy it it is very cheap. The best weapon in the game is telekenesis though! Pinning necromorphs to a wall with their own limbs just doesn't get old to me, great way to conserve ammo also. The line gun is great but ammo is scarce so I saved it for certain types of enemies.

Yes I was in the US army.
Score
October 7, 2012 12:31:07 PM

SlammerBurgr said:
Yes I upgraded the Pulse Rifle like crazy, but it is balanced and great for enemies that move around a lot, like the monsters with the three tentacles or the scorpion dudes, I use it in a sweeping motion and it kills. You find tons of ammo for it also, and if you buy it it is very cheap. The best weapon in the game is telekenesis though! Pinning necromorphs to a wall with their own limbs just doesn't get old to me, great way to conserve ammo also. The line gun is great but ammo is scarce so I saved it for certain types of enemies.

Yes I was in the US army.

I seem to remember Dead Space just giving you ammo for the guns you were carrying (which I thought was a really good idea, makes sense). I carried the contact beam in my fourth slot just so that the game would give me the ultra-valuable ammo for it for me to sell! You did get a lot of rounds for your money with pulse rifle, but you needed a lot too! The line gun ammo was pretty rare/pricey, I'd just fall back to plasma cutter when that was the case.

That's pretty cool, gaming in the military - modern warfare eh :-)
Score
October 7, 2012 1:24:01 PM

shivanthing said:
Please exclude battlefield, call of duty, and halo, (Halo 1 and 2, worst console ports in existence.) from your suggestions. :na: 

It can be anything, virtually anything, but it needs to be fun though. ^_^ It can be a free to play game, freeware, open source, anything! ^^

Just got done playing and beating FTL, and those are, have had to have been, some of the best gaming hours of my life. c:

So now im looking for more fun. c:

Any suggestions? ^^

And oh yes, im a crysis fan, (judging by my avatar.) only FPS I had a LOT of fun with in awhile. Crysis 2 disappointed though, but I tend not to associate this avatar with that title. (At least I try not to. :sweat:  Crysis 2 was fun, but crysis 1 was VERY FUN :D )

Infamous 2!!!!!!!!
:pt1cable: 
Score
October 7, 2012 4:28:18 PM

SlammerBurgr said:
Modern Warfare thats some realism for ya (sarcasm) I hate military shooters. Check this out ha. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMb0ZP6hnkc

Haha that's awesome! They must have put some real work into that, actually modding the game with that dialogue etc - nicely done :-D By the way, how hot was it and how many people did you kill?
Score
October 7, 2012 7:13:53 PM

If no one's suggested this yet, then I highly recommend Terraria. a game inspired by minecraft that really gives you the enjoyment of a traditional rpg, with the mechanics of minecraft. I spent more that 300+ hours on that game and boy were those days just the best.
Score
October 7, 2012 8:08:46 PM

sam_p_lay said:
Haha that's awesome! They must have put some real work into that, actually modding the game with that dialogue etc - nicely done :-D By the way, how hot was it and how many people did you kill?

Not cool man
Score
October 7, 2012 9:07:05 PM

SlammerBurgr said:
Not cool man

Sorry dude, just playing. It's a line from the video you linked.
Score
October 7, 2012 11:29:20 PM

Mount and Blade Warband. Not the best graphics, but the combat makes up for it. Put a lot of hours into this game.
Score
October 8, 2012 12:01:58 AM

sam_p_lay said:
Sorry dude, just playing. It's a line from the video you linked.

yeah dude I know haha, its tough to pull of sarcasm over the internet. It was just like Black Hawk Down!
Score
October 8, 2012 12:03:28 AM

AMKANMBA said:
Infamous 2!!!!!!!!
:pt1cable: 

Infamous 2 is great no doubt. One of my favorite console games, but he was asking about PC games.
Score
October 8, 2012 4:56:02 AM

The Witcher 2 if you're into 3rd person rpg's, I can't suggest this game enough, you will be amazed when you pick it up.
Score
October 8, 2012 8:30:23 AM

SlammerBurgr said:
yeah dude I know haha, its tough to pull of sarcasm over the internet. It was just like Black Hawk Down!

Haha you got me :-) I've always been curious though, why is it not OK to ask? Is it just about being sensitive/traumatic experience etc or is there more to it than that?

Back on topic, I was hesitating to bring it up because it opens up a billion more options, but if you installed Dosbox, you could play Blood and the Plasma Pak addon - it's 1996-7 so properly old but an awesomely fun shooter! Dosbox is awesome in general (if you didn't already know), works absolutely flawlessly with every game I've tried.
Score
October 8, 2012 8:37:51 AM

Amnesia (horror)
Trackmania (cars)
Just Cause 2 (third person shooter)
DC Universe (MMO freeware, decent)
Tribes Ascend (Very High skill FPS, crazy! and freeware!)
Starcraft Broodwar (Best RTS ever created, thou old...).
Baldurs Gate Series (Best RPG)
Witcher 1 and 2 (Great Action RPG)
Crysis, Crysis Warhead (One of the best Open world FPS ever created)
Metro 2033 (Another good Fps, not open world thou)
Splinters cell series (everyone b4 Double agent, great sthealth games)
Deus Ex 1 and 3 (FPS-RPG, very good games)
Spiderman Web of shadows and Prototype 1 (Open world sandbox third person smash (combo based thou) games).
Vampire the masquarade Redemption (best vampire story evar, and also cool game, thou v old).
Alan Wake (Action "horror like" game with a very nice story).
Walusoft Warheads (shareware, Great game for playing with friends, you get a ship a planet, and a huge arsenal of weapons to blast your friends. Something like Worms, but with gravitational effect :D ).

Btw im not surprised you are a crysis fan. Its hard not to be. I agree on the crysis 2 dissapointment, its basicly a diffrent game at all.
Score
October 8, 2012 8:42:29 AM

Btw, i dont really agree on Dead Space 2 to be that good. I mean, Dead space 1 was amazing cus it was 100% new form of gaming.
Dead space 2 is less horror and more action/shooter style.
It not like its a bad thing, but it simply aint what i expected.
I loved some of the parts like flying in the train or in outspace at hyper speed, but...
Come one, they changed how Nicole looked like... you gotta be kidding me!
Score
October 8, 2012 8:57:43 AM

Oh i forgot, you could try out Black Prophecy. Its Space game, freeware, amazing graphics, interesting battles (but has lost some interest since a patch where they downgraded everything to smaller numbers).

Unfortunatelly it can get boring after a while, but i suggest you try it at least.
Score
!