Any good PC games that are actually fun to play?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shivanthing

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Please exclude battlefield, call of duty, and halo, (Halo 1 and 2, worst console ports in existence.) from your suggestions. :na:

It can be anything, virtually anything, but it needs to be fun though. ^_^ It can be a free to play game, freeware, open source, anything! ^^

Just got done playing and beating FTL, and those are, have had to have been, some of the best gaming hours of my life. c:

So now im looking for more fun. c:

Any suggestions? ^^

And oh yes, im a crysis fan, (judging by my avatar.) only FPS I had a LOT of fun with in awhile. Crysis 2 disappointed though, but I tend not to associate this avatar with that title. (At least I try not to. :sweat: Crysis 2 was fun, but crysis 1 was VERY FUN :D)

shivanthing

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
Hm if I could ask, is there anything in the spirit of space exploration? Sorta like FTL. =P Games like that really compel me to get a sammich, some tea, and just relax. ^_^

I loved that stuff too, Freelancer was awesome! More recent games that actually run above 1280x1024 could be Darkstar One or X3. Darkstar One looks really good, I'm considering giving it a shot myself. For the most fun third person shooter I've ever played (sept maybe Hitman) is Red Faction Guerilla. Serious Sam 2 was also brilliant, though gets to being endurance-style FPS after a while (insanely long battles). Assassin's Creed also, start with the first if you haven't played them before and also the Mass Effect series and Borderlands 2!

shivanthing

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012

I actually have darkstar one in my collection here, I got for about 10 bucks at a gamestop clearance sale. ^_^ It's actually very good. I also played freelancer and I can say that they're quite alike. ^^

mi1ez

Splendid

Check out the humble indie bundle.
Amnesia
World of Goo
Minecraft (everyone's going mad for this but I've never played TBH)

Sounds like solid advice :) The only thing wrong with Freelancer I felt was the copy/paste nature of all the bases, factions and missions and dialogue. Apparently it's not so much of an issue with Darkstar One... plus, relatively modern graphics.

I somehow forgot to mention Star Wars Force Unleashed (and its sequel) up there - that was an unforgivable oversight in responding to a question about really fun games! If you've not played it, it is an insanely fun and awesome game. The sequel is a bit on the easy side with the exception of boss battles (you'll be hacking through large groups of stormtroopers in seconds, limbs flying everywhere!) but I'd still massively recommend it. You won't like the boss battles, but the rest is well worth playing.

Dead Space is another good choice if you haven't played it. And if you're up for some slightly older games, Manhunt was absolutely brilliant fun. Also Soldier of Fortune 2, Max Payne 2 (I haven't played Max Payne Goes on Holiday but that might be fun), Command and Conquer Generals (and the Zero Hour addon!), any Unreal Tournament game and the best RPGs I've ever played in my life - Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic (original) or Baldur's Gate 2. There's actually Baldur's Gate remakes coming up so maybe wait for that if you're interested.

Oh and for racing, Burnout Paradise is easily the most fun I've ever had on a racing game! It's not realistic driving or real cars (though real cars wouldn't really work with the unrealistic driving) but it's really brilliant fun. Need for Speed Hot Pursuit (the 2011 version) is also an excellent game - slightly more realistic driving and real cars in this one.

Other really excellent shooter that was largely overlooked (due to being released at the same time as Unreal Tournament 3, Crysis, Bioshock, Half-Life: Episode 2, Gears of War and other huge games) was Timeshift. You have a suit that can pause time, so you can go around for example shooting a whole room full of enemies in the face (bullet will leave the barrel and then just pause) and then resume time for everyone take a headshot :-D Consider the possibilities with taking their guns, leaving them a hand grenade etc - lots of fun to be had. You can also rewind time briefly. Even without that time stuff, it's still a really cool shooter, beautifully presented and polished, guns look, sound and feel fun to use and it's a cool dystopian type setting.

For open source stuff by the way, Nexuiz and Blob Wars are great fun :) Blob Wars is just an old fashioned platformer but strangely addictive. Nexuiz is Unreal Tournament style shooter - nowhere near as graphically advanced as UT3 but I actually had more fun with it, comparably fun to the original UT.

OP is after PC games. He'll have a while to wait until RE6 is on Windows. According to the reviews, it may not be worth the wait anyway, but good to try it yourself of course. I can personally recommend Resident Evil 5, but not as much as the other games I mentioned.

shivanthing

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I decided to try out endless space, but it didn't quite click with me. I like the whole 4X aspect but... not quite my style. (I did quite like gal civ 2 for some odd reason.)

I remember playing the ur quan masters. (Star control 2) The glee I got from talking to the many alien races in that game. We need more of that. =) FTL (sorta) bought that back for me, but brought a whole new level of ship management and combat as well. :p

And I gotta try this... blob wars, it seems great >:O

Haha yeah it's a cool little platformer! I didn't even have sound and still had a lot of fun with it. I'm not sure if it's on Windows (would be surprised if it isn't though) but if it's not and you don't have Linux, you could set up a Linux VM to play it (I can explain how to if you need me to).

SlammerBurgr

Honorable
Sep 26, 2012
Play the Dead Space series! I love these games and they play, and look great on the PC as long as you have a gamepad, I use a 360 controller. Keyboard and mouse does not work well with these games!

I second, well third what mi1ez said, Half Life and Half life 2 are amazing games! the gameplay stays fresh, and never gets tiresome, plus there is tons of content to keep you busy with Episode 1 and 2 also. you can get them pretty cheap on Steam!

Starcraft 2.

This is good advice! You'll like the sniper rifle :) Dead Space actually works really well on kb/mouse in my experience (I have both on PC and Extraction on Wii). There's a part that many console gamers actually gave up on because it's so difficult with gamepad (a turret bit) - I did it on PC without taking a single point of damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.