PCI Ratio and overclocking???

heero

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Hey I've heard a couple of people mention things about the PCi ratio, what does that mean for overclocking.

I want to buy a 1600+ and run it at 166fsb
I am looking at the MSI KT3 board for this, is this a good choice? I hear it goes to a 5:1 ratio after 157fsb (is that good or bad)

CMRvet

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2001
YES. You are right.
KT3 Ultra activates the PCI divider 1/5 at 157 MHz FSB.
If they wouldn't have that you will be running the PCI only at 1/4 divider so the PCI would be at (166/4) 41.5 MHz when running at 166 MHz FSB.

<b>(<font color=yellow>as good as it looks</font color=yellow>)</b>

girish

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well, the speed at which the PCI bus runs is is derived by dividing the processor FSB bye an integer usually in the range 2~4 so that a when the processor is working with a FSB of 100 MHz with the PCI divider set to 3, the bus runs at 33.3 MHz which is its nominal rated speed.

Increasing the FSB will raise the PCI speed proportionately, no harm in this really as long as *ALL* the devices sitting on the PCI bus can run stabley at that speed. Usually the IDE controller connected to the PCI bus is the weakest link that impedes the bus from running beyond a certain speed, usually ~42 MHz or higher. Hence you have to keep the PCI speed under 40 MHz to ensure proper operation. Most IDE controllers these days can handle excess speeds, but cannot be taken for granted. Hence you have to increase the PCI divider in order to reduce the PCI bus speed.

These days 166 MHz FSB with AMD processors has become commonplace so a divider of 4 gets you 40+ MHz speeds on the PCI bus which might make the system unstable. Hence you need a still larger divider which very few boards provide, the MSI KT3 being one of them. If you are going for 166 MHz FSB it might prove handy, and you can go still higher with the PCI speeds staying within safe limits.

The bottomline: Its good news that the board manages the PCI speeds by itself, you dont have to worry about overclocking your PCI bus and be stuck with a low processor FSB.

girish

Every point I make has 'n' perspectives!
Boy do I need a <i>disclaimer</i> for my every word?

heero

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2002
Thanks guys, very informative and helpful...

on another note how will ram affect overclocking of the fsb?

LtBlue14

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2002
you mean the other way around, how will overclocking the fsb affect the ram. your ram speed will be determined by the fsb divided by the fsb:memory ratio. an fsb at 114 for ddr 333 (166x2) with a 3:5 ratio means (114x5)/3 or 190, x2 = ddr 380. pushing your memory speed up like this can make it unstable, so you can change your memory ratio to help stability, or if you're at cas 2 try cas 2.5, or (though i've never done it cuz my mobo doesn't support it) you can give your memory voltage a nudge to help stability

svol

Champion
Depends on how you set the memory speed settings... if it is 1:1 to FSB the memory will run at the same speed of your FSB. Low quality RAM is lickely to overclock lower then good branded RAM.

*Advertisement*
<b><A HREF="http://www.angelfire.com/dbz/dewrede/enterstrips.html" target="_new">Geert's Comics</A></b>